Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Roll Call

Started by Northern Star Girl, February 29, 2024, 10:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Star Girl

Hello to all of our present and past Military members.

You might be surprised at how many of our members have a Military background.
Please take a moment to post and share about your experiences.

Branch of service, and your MOS (military occupational specialty)

I will start out with my service history below....

Warmest Regards and WELCOME
Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]
                              US AirForce Veteran... served right after college.
                                    1st Lt   First Lieutenant
                              Much of that time at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas
                              Staff at the Air Education and Training Command
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org

MFaraday

I served in the US Air Force, too, left as a Captain.  I worked in "Defense Acquisition", essentially research and development.  I enjoyed it so much, I went back to grad school when I separated.  I wanted to do the kind of work my then team-lead was doing.  All of that was long before I even had any thoughts of transitioning, probably a big part of why my military experience was mostly enjoyable and rewarding.  I didn't stand out for "wrong" reasons.

Devlyn

I served in the US Army from 1983 to 1987 as a Chaparral missile crewmember, MOS 16P.

I had no idea at the time that I was transgender, so I didn't have any issues while I served either.

Hugs, Devlyn

Northern Star Girl

@MFaraday  
Thank you for coming to "Roll Call" and sharing of your military
experiences.
    Your service and time spent in military service in the AirForce is very
much appreciated.

THANK YOU for your service.

Warmest Regards,
Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]

Quote from: MFaraday on February 29, 2024, 10:49:40 PMI served in the US Air Force, too, left as a Captain.  I worked in "Defense Acquisition", essentially research and development.  I enjoyed it so much, I went back to grad school when I separated.  I wanted to do the kind of work my then team-lead was doing.  All of that was long before I even had any thoughts of transitioning, probably a big part of why my military experience was mostly enjoyable and rewarding.  I didn't stand out for "wrong" reasons.

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Devlyn
I appreciate that you came to "Roll Call" to share your military story and your history of
your service in the Army.

Your willingness to serve in the Military is a much appreciated trait....

You were serving in the Army when I was still a kid and just started my school years!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !

Warmest Regards
Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Devlyn

LoriDee

I served in the Army from 1975 - 1990. MOS was 11E Tank Crewman. They changed designations and we became 19E. On separation, I was 19E3D8 (Staff Sergeant, Tank Master Gunner M60A3 tank). The M1 Abrams was just being introduced. I worked at a remote testing center where we tested new weapons systems before Congress bought them for the military. We tested all kinds of systems from the LAV-25 to Blackhawk and Apache helicopter HUD systems, and a few that failed our tests like The SGT. York. What a joke that was. Generals resigned and people got court-martialed after that fiasco.

I had no idea I was trans at the time. All of my healthcare is through the VA and they have been very helpful in my transition. I have a great healthcare team. Two psychologists (one is the LGBTQ++ Care Coordinator), Primary Care, Endocrinology, now Gynecology, and even the nurses and schedulers have all been fantastic. I am blessed to have such good people looking after me.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

KathyLauren

I served in the Canadian Air Force from 1973 to 1982.  It was "Royal" from 1924 to 1968, and is "Royal" again now since 2011, but it wasn't when I served.  I was a pilot and Qualified Flying Instructor.  I spent my entire career in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, except when they sent me on various training courses.

It was a ton of fun, both the flying and the instructing, and I have fond memories of those times.  I am still in contact, mostly via Facebook, with many of the people I flew with.  It means coming out to them whenever I establish contact, but I have had no negative reactions.

Last year, at my wife's urging, I had my hearing tested.  The audiologist measured a profound high-frequency hearing loss.  He suggested applying to Veterans' Affairs for assistance.  I did, and they agreed that my hearing loss was service-related, due to hanging around jet engines for five years.  They gave me a small pension and a full ride on any hearing treatments, including new top-of-the-line hearing aids every four years.  Not pleasant losing my hearing, but nice to get the support that I earned.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate

Northern Star Girl

@LoriDee 
Dear Lori:
Thank you for sharing your story of your military service... and how Veterans Administration
is handling your transition healthcare.

Your service in the Army is very much appreciated.

My sincere THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

HUGS, Danielle
  [Northern Star Girl]

Quote from: LoriDee on March 01, 2024, 02:02:37 PMI served in the Army from 1975 - 1990. MOS was 11E Tank Crewman. They changed designations and we became 19E. On separation, I was 19E3D8 (Staff Sergeant, Tank Master Gunner M60A3 tank). The M1 Abrams was just being introduced. I worked at a remote testing center where we tested new weapons systems before Congress bought them for the military. We tested all kinds of systems from the LAV-25 to Blackhawk and Apache helicopter HUD systems, and a few that failed our tests like The SGT. York. What a joke that was. Generals resigned and people got court-martialed after that fiasco.

I had no idea I was trans at the time. All of my healthcare is through the VA and they have been very helpful in my transition. I have a great healthcare team. Two psychologists (one is the LGBTQ++ Care Coordinator), Primary Care, Endocrinology, now Gynecology, and even the nurses and schedulers have all been fantastic. I am blessed to have such good people looking after me.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Northern Star Girl

@KathyLauren
Dear Kathy:
Thank you for finding your way to the Military Veterans Confab and the Roll Call topic.
Long before the site crash I was aware of your previous postings regarding
your Canadian Air Force service.

I do recall a PHOTO that you had posted with your in uniform standing along side
the jet aircraft that you were flying....  it sure would be nice to see that
photo posted here on this topic and thread.[

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Warmest Regards.
Danielle
  [Northern Star Girl]                         

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 01, 2024, 02:37:33 PM
I served in the Canadian Air Force from 1973 to 1982.  It was "Royal" from 1924 to 1968, and is "Royal" again now since 2011, but it wasn't when I served.  I was a pilot and Qualified Flying Instructor.  I spent my entire career in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, except when they sent me on various training courses.

It was a ton of fun, both the flying and the instructing, and I have fond memories of those times.  I am still in contact, mostly via Facebook, with many of the people I flew with.  It means coming out to them whenever I establish contact, but I have had no negative reactions.

Last year, at my wife's urging, I had my hearing tested.  The audiologist measured a profound high-frequency hearing loss.  He suggested applying to Veterans' Affairs for assistance.  I did, and they agreed that my hearing loss was service-related, due to hanging around jet engines for five years.  They gave me a small pension and a full ride on any hearing treatments, including new top-of-the-line hearing aids every four years.  Not pleasant losing my hearing, but nice to get the support that I earned.

•  

Miharu Barbie

I am a veteran of the US Army, 1982 to 1985. Most of my time was served at an outpost on the German/Soviet-Czech border. I was a truck and track mechanic assigned to a nuclear artillery battalion.

Towards the end of my service I was assigned to Fort Hood in Texas, attached to First Cavalry Division. I spoke to an Army psychiatrist at Fort Hood about my gender dysphoria. The psychiatrist subjected me to a barrage of psychological tests, determined that I was telling the truth, then outed me to my battery commander.

My battery commander and his sergeant major turned cruel and hostile. The psychiatrist tried to get me a medical discharge, but the commander and his top sergeant both told me that they were going to kill me. I reached out to the base commander, our battalion chaplain, and mental health services. The commander told them all that he would be happy to see me discharged, but in private he told me he would rather see me dead.

After months of torture and abuse, I was tipped off by the battalion commander's driver that he overheard plans for me to be killed in a training "accident". The morning of the day I was told that I would be killed, I packed my car and ran for my life.

Ten-and-a-half years I evaded capture even as the FBI looked for me. (I was captured once after 5 years but managed to escape after 24 hours in custody.)

Eventually after more than 10 years, I turned myself in, received an (unofficial) apology and an other than honorable discharge. My medical records had mysteriously disappeared, so I had little chance of defending my actions. I was told to take the discharge or go to prison.

My service record was exemplary. I served honorably. I have no doubt whatever that I would have died on January 17, 1985 if I had not run. Because I was outed by a psychiatrist for being trans.

I have never collected on any veteran services, and I guess I never will.

😔
Miharu
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!

Northern Star Girl

@Miharu Barbie

Thank you for sharing and posting about your military service.
What you described about what you went through with all of your trials and
tribulations... it is a miracle that you are still alive and free.

I am glad that you are now doing well.

Even though it was a harrowing experience for you, your willingness to
serve in the military is very much appreciated

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Warmest Regards.
Danielle
  [Northern Star Girl]                         

Quote from: Miharu Barbie on March 01, 2024, 04:15:32 PMI am a veteran of the US Army, 1982 to 1985. Most of my time was served at an outpost on the German/Soviet-Czech border. I was a truck and track mechanic assigned to a nuclear artillery battalion.

Towards the end of my service I was assigned to Fort Hood in Texas, attached to First Cavalry Division. I spoke to an Army psychiatrist at Fort Hood about my gender dysphoria. The psychiatrist subjected me to a barrage of psychological tests, determined that I was telling the truth, then outed me to my battery commander.

My battery commander and his sergeant major turned cruel and hostile. The psychiatrist tried to get me a medical discharge, but the commander and his top sergeant both told me that they were going to kill me. I reached out to the base commander, our battalion chaplain, and mental health services. The commander told them all that he would be happy to see me discharged, but in private he told me he would rather see me dead.

After months of torture and abuse, I was tipped off by the battalion commander's driver that he overheard plans for me to be killed in a training "accident". The morning of the day I was told that I would be killed, I packed my car and ran for my life.

Ten-and-a-half years I evaded capture even as the FBI looked for me. (I was captured once after 5 years but managed to escape after 24 hours in custody.)

Eventually after more than 10 years, I turned myself in, received an (unofficial) apology and an other than honorable discharge. My medical records had mysteriously disappeared, so I had little chance of defending my actions. I was told to take the discharge or go to prison.

My service record was exemplary. I served honorably. I have no doubt whatever that I would have died on January 17, 1985 if I had not run. Because I was outed by a psychiatrist for being trans.

I have never collected on any veteran services, and I guess I never will.

😔
Miharu

KathyLauren

Quote from: Northern Star Girl on March 01, 2024, 03:30:31 PMI do recall a PHOTO that you had posted with your in uniform standing along side
the jet aircraft that you were flying....  it sure would be nice to see that
photo posted here on this topic and thread.[

I think this is probably the one.  I was 22 in this picture.

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate

Northern Star Girl

@KathyLauren
Dear Kathy:

Thank you for finding, posting and sharing that terrific picture.
Yes, indeed, that is the photo that I remember that you had posted in the past.
Thank you for digging it up an sharing it here on the "Roll Call" topic.

HUGS, Danielle [Northern Star Girl]                         

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 05, 2024, 02:11:09 PM
I think this is probably the one.  I was 22 in this picture.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 05, 2024, 02:11:09 PMI think this is probably the one.  I was 22 in this picture.

Looks like a T-37 Tweet. I think these were also called 'converters', since they converted fuel into noise.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Jessica_Rose    cc: @KathyLauren
Dear Jessica:

You are quite correct about the model of the jet.

The Cessna T-37 trainer was used primarily by the USAF and found trainer service
in several allied countries.
The last USAF use of the T-37 was at Sheppard AFB.
The T-37B from what I recall was retired from the USAF in 2010 (?)

Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas is about 350 miles north of where I was based
in Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas.
When I was in the USAF I was on the staff at the Air Education and Training Command
and dealt with some of the Air Force trainer logistics for the T-37.

Kathy: This should bring back memories for you ---> Instrument-panel in a Cessna T-37 Trainer

HUGS,

Danielle  [Northern Star Girl]                         

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on March 05, 2024, 03:41:28 PM
Looks like a T-37 Tweet. I think these were also called 'converters', since they converted fuel into noise.

Love always -- Jess

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on March 05, 2024, 03:41:28 PMLooks like a T-37 Tweet. I think these were also called 'converters', since they converted fuel into noise.

Love always -- Jess

Nope.  The Tweet is the closest thing that the USAF flew, but this is a Canadair CT-114 Tutor.  Also a side-by-side trainer, but bigger, and with a single engine that is more powerful than the T-37's two combined.

The Tutor was loud enough, having cost me my high-frequency hearing.  But I heard a Tweet once (trust me, once was enough!), when one visited our base.  It was way, way, WAY louder than the Tutor!  So loud that I actually specifically mentioned that encounter in my application for Veteran's Affairs compensation for my hearing loss.

The Tutor is no longer used for training, but the RCAF Snowbirds demonstration team still flies it.

KathyLauren

CT-114 Tutor:

Northern Star Girl

@KathyLauren
Dear Kathy:
Thank you for your clarification on the model of jet that you flew
for the Canadian Air Force.

The C-114 Tudor and the T-37 Tweet ... except for the tail configuration
sure look a lot like each other.  I was obviously easily confused for certain.

HUGS, Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

ROLL CALL

If you are presently serving or you have served in Military Service,
please check in and briefly share about yourself.

On this thread/topic you will discover our other Susan's Place Forum members
that have a military background and experience.

Also to find the latest posts and comments regarding recent Military events and
other information please find your way to the  Military Veterans Confab

Click LINK---> https://www.susans.org/index.php/board,547.0.html

For all Military members.... THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Danielle  [Northern Star Girl]
                      staff at the Air Education and Training Command

LoriDee

Since we are sharing pictures of toys we used to play with, I'll contribute a few:

I had just been assigned to the commander's tank as the gunner. We named the tank "Charlie's Angel". We were in Charlie Company and the commander's tank crew can do no wrong.  ;D

This was taken during the REFORGER war games in Germany in 1984. That was the coldest winter I ever experienced. I got frostbite on my face and I think it took years for me to shake the chill.

This was an annual ARTEP evaluation war game in Hohenfels, Germany. The fog was so thick that hiding tanks was fairly easy. You can see a tank behind the ruins and an Armored Personnel Carrier to the left of it. There are three more tanks in this picture hidden in the fog.

I loved my job!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.