Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Gold Prospecting and Rock Hounding

Started by LoriDee, March 03, 2024, 07:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoriDee

I have been prospecting in Colorado and here in the Black Hills, SD since about 2010. I also do metal detecting, so maybe it is a treasure-hunting thing. I mostly use metal detectors as a means to find gold. If you are interested in gold prospecting, I have several articles I have written as "How-Tos" as well as a photo album on my personal website. You can find that link in my profile.

In the process of shoveling gravel in a creek, I find some interesting rocks that I bring home with me. I love Rose Quartz. It is the South Dakota State Mineral, and it's PINK! I also hunt for the rare Fairburn Agate, which is the South Dakota State Gemstone. Maybe I have those two backward.

In the winter when creeks are frozen over or the water is about 33 degrees F, I stay indoors and do research. In the summer I am out mining gold or picking up rocks.

I just ordered my second 2-barrel rock tumbler for polishing rocks and I am learning how to do wire wrap jewelry with them. I have found that I enjoy doing this and I can do it indoors with no heavy lifting involved... until I "need" another bucket of rocks.

Here is an example of what I am doing:

Rough Stones to Jewelry
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

Northern Star Girl

@LoriDee
Dear Lori:
Thank you for posting and sharing your experiences with Gold Prospecting and
Rock Hounding. 
The description of your endeavors in those task is very interesting
for sure.  I am looking forward to your future postings regarding these subjects.

I followed the picture link that you had posted....  beautiful work that you
have done turning rocks (rough stones) into very pretty jewelry.
          Click Link-->  Rough Stones to Jewelry

Again, thank you for sharing.
HUGS, Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Yvanektara

My grandfather taught me lapidary when I was a child and still have a trim saw, a cabbing wheel, and hand tools. My grandfather was a rock hound specializing in fire agate back when the desert was largely open. Unfortunately, where I live today, all the good sites have either been claimed by commercial developers or otherwise closed off to the public. I did have an Afghan supplier of lapis lazuli, but that source is no longer available to me. I've since lost interest in pursuing it anymore.
  •  

Gina P

Wow, very nice work, Lori. I was going to say I really like .... but they are all so beautiful.
Gina
  •  

ChrissyRyan

It appears the largest gold pan is in Quesnel, British Columbia.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •