News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Biden’s highest-ranking trans official is learning the limits of representation

Started by Jessica_Rose, March 14, 2024, 09:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Biden's highest-ranking trans official is learning the limits of representation

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-s-highest-ranking-trans-official-is-learning-the-limits-of-representation/ar-BB1jSNSM?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8bbba31ac0f54cb3a82b8728b64585d8&ei=41

Story by Nathan Kohrman (14 March 2024)

In October, Admiral Rachel Levine gave the keynote address at the national convention for the Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, or "PFLAG," as it's been known since its founding in the 1970s. Levine is the first trans woman to ever serve in a Senate-confirmed office, and the most prominent trans official in any branch of government—a position that forces her to balance the responsibilities of being a bureaucrat with the burdens of being a symbol.

The PFLAG audience had gathered at a hotel in Arlington Virginia amid an ugly backlash against trans Americans, and during the Q&A, Levine was asked for tips on keeping ones cool. "My clinical training as a pediatrician has always been very helpful," she said. "You have to take whatever emotions come up and put them aside, to compartmentalize them, and then treat the patient and the family in front of you."

On my last day with Levine, as we crossed a bridge over the Mississippi River, I asked her if she ever got frustrated with incrementalism. "Sure," she replied. "It's a big country."

"Sometimes you can develop programs that will help a bunch of people," she continued, "That's the goal of public service and public health—but it doesn't change the importance of helping one person. I think that is one of the most valuable things you can do."
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •