Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Your favortie movies of all time

Started by Lessa, February 26, 2006, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lessa

Hey guys and gals!!

I was just wondering what some of your favorite movies of all time where? Some of mine are:
-Saw 2
-South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut(South Park NUT!)
-The Note Book (such a touching love story)
-Enternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
-The Rocky Horror Picture Show
-Hedwig and The Angry Inch
-RENT
-Transamerica (as soon as I see it I know it will be up there!)
  •  

Chaunte

Favorite movies of all time......

In no particular order, I would ofer these:

Wallace & Gromit in THe Curse of the Were Rabbit
Apollo 13 (I was in 8th grade when this happened, so I remember it well.)
Memphis Belle
Watership Down (movie & book)
Deep Impact
Silent Running
Twister
Star Trek Insurrection (Well... ALL of the Star Trek movies!)

Chaunte
  •  

beth

Boy's Don't Cry
Mulholland Drive
Transamerica
Vertigo
American Beauty
Ghost World
Better than Chocolate

Transamerica is a must see.

beth
  •  

Lessa

Quote from: beth on February 26, 2006, 08:05:38 PM
Boy's Don't Cry
Mulholland Drive
Transamerica
Vertigo
American Beauty
Ghost World
Better than Chocolate

Transamerica is a must see.

beth

I really really really really really really really want to see it! But its not out in any threaters in my area GRR!

I like your picks of Ghost World and American Beatuy and I can't believe I forgot them.
  •  

beth

Quote from: Lessa on February 26, 2006, 08:09:19 PM
I really really really really really really really want to see it! But its not out in any threaters in my area GRR!

I like your picks of Ghost World and American Beatuy and I can't believe I forgot them.

I'm going tomorrow to see Transamerica again.  I think it is in more theaters now that the oscars are close. I really enjoyed Hedwig too except for the ending.  ::) 

beth
  •  

Alexandra

of all time???   Geez, thats a big order . . .

I'll tell you what . . .  I'll tell you what, I'll name my top 5 movies based on the number of times I have seen them . . .

1) 2001 A Space Odyssey (over 100 times)
2) Contact (over 50? times)
3) Blue Velvet (20+)
4) The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (20+)
5) The Dish (20+)

While Transamerica is a good movie, Breakfast In Pluto is better IMO . . . but neither of them is in the class listed above!

8)

•  

Kimberly

In not necessarily this order but not necessarily not:

• Aliens
  • Clue
  • Lord of the Rings (older animated one)
  • Monty Python In search of the Holy Grail
  • Monty Python The life of Brian

*shrug*
  •  

rana

Alexandra, it does my heart good to see you post The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert & The Dish. Both Australian movies and both enjoyable :)
I dunno movies I seem to "enjoy" (if thats the right word, maybe touch my soul would be better) are ones that are tragic ones.
The Notebook - really sad
Breaker Morant (that one should be compulsory viewing for all soldiers)
Gallipoli - was enjoyable till the end then ,even thou its a bit overacted, breakes your heart
Sugarbaby - nothing like some German films to tug at your soul.
The Bridge - another German movie and would you know after watching it a few days later my son got his field gear from cadets and there he was, my very own boy soldier :(
Seems I tend to like sad movies & war movies - what does that say of me :(

•  

Lessa

Quote from: beth on February 26, 2006, 08:15:37 PM
I really enjoyed Hedwig too except for the ending.  ::) 

beth

Lol, I assume you mean the part about where Hedwig is walking through the ally, yeah I didn't like that part much either. However I did like that the other Transsexual in the band got to be who she truly was at the end. It made me cry  :'( :'(.

Posted at: February 27, 2006, 08:21:33 AM

Quote from: Alexandra on February 26, 2006, 11:52:25 PM
of all time???   Geez, thats a big order . . .

You didn't have use your all time favorites just ones you enjoyed. I shouldn't have used of all time I just tend to use that saying losely, the truth is my list changes all the time to I'll remember next time not use that.

Since some of you mention some movies that I really like and can't believe I forgot I have another list to go along with my other one.
-Clue (I LOVE TIM CURRY(sp?)
-Ghost World
-American Beatuy
-The Birdcage
-In & Out

Lessa
  •  

beth

"Lol, I assume you mean the part about where Hedwig is walking through the ally, yeah I didn't like that part much either. However I did like that the other Transsexual in the band got to be who she truly was at the end. It made me cry"  

The part I didn't like was the fact that Hedwig decided "he" was not transsexual but a gay male in the end.

beth
  •  

Cassandra

Favorite all time movies, that is a tall order. Well these are all movies I saw when they came out so I'm telling my age

Who's afraid of Virginia Wolfe
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Zhivago
The Lion in Winter
The Sound of Music

That's my top 5 list also

Mame (Lucile Ball version)
My Fair Lady
Paint Your Wagon

Sci Fi

Star Trek First Contact
Blade Runner
Logans Run
Silent Running

Cassie
  •  

Dennis

I've always liked "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead". It's a weird take on Hamlet, where it's told from the point of view of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Also has some offbeat jokes about Newton's Laws. Every time I see it I get something new out of it.

Dennis
  •  

Lessa

Quote from: beth on February 27, 2006, 11:14:22 AM
"Lol, I assume you mean the part about where Hedwig is walking through the ally, yeah I didn't like that part much either. However I did like that the other Transsexual in the band got to be who she truly was at the end. It made me cry"  

The part I didn't like was the fact that Hedwig decided "he" was not transsexual but a gay male in the end.

beth

Hmmm really? I guess I didn't see that way *shrugs*. I saw it more as Hedwig passing the torch to the other Transsexual in the band. I never really thought about what Hedwig was going to do. I guess I'll have to watch it again.
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Right off the top of my head ->

The Man Who be King
All of the Monty Python movies
My First Mister with LeeLee Sobieski (I just love that name) :)

Still compiling

Steph
  •  

Leigh

Better than Chocolate
Boys don't Cry
Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood
Gia
The Hours
Million Dollar Baby
Monster
North Country
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

For fluff movies
Tomb Raider 1&2
  •  

Alexandra

Quote from: rana on February 27, 2006, 05:11:51 AM
Alexandra, it does my heart good to see you post The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert & The Dish. Both Australian movies and both enjoyable :)

Surprisingly there has been a number of great films made or set in Australia that I enjoyed, Older ones:

Year of Living Dangerously
Walkabout
On the Beach

and recently . . .

Newsfront
Danny Deckchair
(indeed, this "borderline" movie might have gotten the thumbs down from me if it wasn't for the Australian setting)

•  

rana

Stephanie,
You jogged my memory :)   Yes "The Man Who Would be King",  I really enjoyed it, reminds me how truely great a writer and poet Rudyard Kipling was.  I can remember from the movie, when faced with a truely dangerous situation,  the saying  "Brass It Out" - stuck in my mind as a philosophy to apply when things look bad :)

Monty Python thou - that sort of humour & acting rubs me the wrong way - yet there are truely very funny situations.  English humour at its very best & worst I suspect :)

remembering with pleasure
rana
  •  

Chaunte

A couple more to add to the list...

Henry V & Hamlet.  Both as portrayed by Kenneth Brannaugh.
1776 - Original cast.
Hunt for Red October
Deep Impact
The Lion King

Chaunte
  •  

Lessa

A few more to add...

-Ice Age
-Sherk
-Beatlejuice
-A Christmas Carol(black and white version)
-A Christmas Story
-The Ref
-The Shawshank Redemption
  •  

Cassandra

Oh yes I just remembered another really great movie that I'm surprised one of our Aussie friends hasn't mentioned.

On The Beach with Gregory Peck. That was a great movie and another one with submarines from the foriegn films section. Das Boot

Cassie
  •