Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Your favortie movies of all time

Started by Lessa, February 26, 2006, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylo

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on December 10, 2018, 12:26:55 AM
Where is the tear jerking romance of Freddy Got Fingered though?

Strangely, despite being subjected to plenty of Tom Green back in the day by housemates, I haven't seen that one. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kylo on December 10, 2018, 11:35:14 AM
Strangely, despite being subjected to plenty of Tom Green back in the day by housemates, I haven't seen that one.
You're actually lucky. Its like Monty Python without the wit!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Melinda@heart

Gladiator
Brave Heart
Star Wars - the original 3 plus The Force Awakens, Rogue One, The Last Jedi and a Han Solo Story.
What Dreams May Come
Hitman - with Timothy Olyphant
The Notebook
Goonies

Those are my tops.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

•  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Melinda@heart on December 10, 2018, 11:53:15 AM
Gladiator
Brave Heart
Star Wars - the original 3 plus The Force Awakens, Rogue One, The Last Jedi and a Han Solo Story.
What Dreams May Come
Hitman - with Timothy Olyphant
The Notebook
Goonies

Those are my tops.

Great list!

Robyn Williams in 'What dreams may come' is fantastic.
The Goonies, enough said.
Star War! Again, enough said.

Your list included my favorites. how odd is that?
  •  

Melinda@heart

Quote from: GingerVicki on December 10, 2018, 12:46:24 PM
Great list!

Robyn Williams in 'What dreams may come' is fantastic.
The Goonies, enough said.
Star War! Again, enough said.

Your list included my favorites. how odd is that?
tips. Are many more that I really enjoyed but those few are the ones I care to rewatch from time to time. Rewatching movies is not something I do often. Although, I must have watched Gladiator 15 times years ago. [emoji16]

•  

randim

Some faves:

Annie Hall   (Yes, I know Woody's a creep, but the art is brilliant)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The 3 original Star Wars
Chinatown
Young Frankenstein
Taxi Driver

This list could really get quite long... and I'm not even a movie buff!
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Melinda@heart on December 10, 2018, 01:10:03 PM
tips. Are many more that I really enjoyed but those few are the ones I care to rewatch from time to time. Rewatching movies is not something I do often. Although, I must have watched Gladiator 15 times years ago. [emoji16]

The new Ben-Hur movie is really good. I've already seen that 3 times. I may end up having to add that to my list. Gladiator was too sad for me.

Because of PTSD, I've had to stop watching really gory movies like Saw and action movies with lots of gun violence. I do not do well. I'm still exploring new genres.
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on December 10, 2018, 11:41:54 AM
You're actually lucky. Its like Monty Python without the wit!

Think I'll give it a miss, then.

I did hear it likened to a movie-industry troll by Tom himself - he was at the height of popularity so they expected a cash-in movie from him. Maybe the movie itself is the joke. Jackass-era guy makes a Hollywood movie and gets to do whatever he wants in it. What should we have expected? Lol. I hear there's a lot of meta moments in it so it was probably well aware how absurd and worthless it was. 

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Melinda@heart

Quote from: GingerVicki on December 10, 2018, 01:47:15 PM
The new Ben-Hur movie is really good. I've already seen that 3 times. I may end up having to add that to my list. Gladiator was too sad for me.

Because of PTSD, I've had to stop watching really gory movies like Saw and action movies with lots of gun violence. I do not do well. I'm still exploring new genres.
I watched Blair Witch back in the day and it freaked me out. I do not watch horror type movies EVER.  Action, Comedy, Romance, Drama... those are my go to genres now.

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kylo on December 10, 2018, 02:17:57 PM
Think I'll give it a miss, then.

I did hear it likened to a movie-industry troll by Tom himself - he was at the height of popularity so they expected a cash-in movie from him. Maybe the movie itself is the joke. Jackass-era guy makes a Hollywood movie and gets to do whatever he wants in it. What should we have expected? Lol. I hear there's a lot of meta moments in it so it was probably well aware how absurd and worthless it was.
There was only one funny scene where Tom Green is trying to date  Betty- who cant easily get away because she is wheelchair bound and ironically the chemistry kicks off but Tom discovers Betty is a pervert & a psychopath (lol).

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Ok, here I go wading into the movie topics now....

2010 - The year we make contact (I liked better than 2001)

Star Trek - The wrath of Khan (all the star trek movies were good however)...

Star Wars - The whole franchise....

Pretty Woman - a classic....

The Island - gives me chills....

Blazing Saddles - laughs a plenty....

C -

•  

JudiBlueEyes

2001 A Space Odyssey  (have seen this countless times)

Hedwig & The Angry Inch

The Blues Brothers

Help!

But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Mariah

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

ChrissyRyan

One of them is Happy Gilmore.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Ann W

This is not a reasonable question. Different movies are liked for different reasons. Choosing a favorite is like selecting a dog at a dog show to be "Best in Show." You have to compare dogs across different breeds, different categories. I'm not saying that it can't be done; but it's damned difficult.

I have been an avid collector of film on DVD. My collection contains well over a thousand titles. But, when I am asked which is my favorite, I typically say, "Gigi," starring Leslie Caron. It is one of the last great musicals produced, and won a cornucopia of Oscars. And the story is top-notch, particularly the ending.

But, I repeat: it's really not a fair question.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on April 16, 2019, 09:11:50 PM
2001 A Space Odyssey  (have seen this countless times)

We watched this movie at the drive in, when it first came out.

Remembering a small detail in that movie, the "video phone" portrayed and how then it seemed so advanced, and now 50 years later it's commonplace...
  •  

Peach

"Matilda". I can see it like 198489 times and and I would never get bored.. Is the film of my childhood.  :icon_love:
  •  

MaryT

My favourite comedies, including romcoms, include
The Ladykillers  (the original)
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Arsenic and Old Lace
A Shot in the Dark
Pillow Talk
Lover Come Back
Send Me No Flowers
That Touch of Mink

My favourite horror/sci-fi horror movies include
Angel Heart
The Shining
The Omen
Ringu
The Craft
Alien

My favourite war movies include
Ice Cold in Alex
Lawrence of Arabia
Kelly's Heroes
Tobruk

My favourite westerns are
Mackenna's Gold
(It is rather stylised but critics would not mind that if it had been made by Italians.  Another critic complained that Gregory Peck was miscast, as though that were possible in any role.  He could have been good as one of the Seven Dwarves if he had wanted to.  The movie has treasure, a sheriff, a Mexican outlaw, indians, cavalry and a supernatural element, as well as an amazing cast.)

They Call Me Trinity

The Searchers
(Partial Spoiler Alert!:
I like the movie but I have reservations.  I think that John Wayne was miscast.  Unlike his usual roles, his character is a robber and bully who kicks a harmless disabled man, as well as being a murderous racist who plans to kill his own niece.  I believe that some John Wayne fans try to emulate the behaviour of their hero and I doubt that all of them would distinguish this role from his others.  However, although it is dated, it is still a masterpiece and it is still the only movie that I know of that shows mortal enemies using the same awful tactics against each other without either side realising that they are doing it.)

Other favourite movies include

Chinatown
Black Narcissus
Out of Africa
Born Free
The Wild Heart (sometimes referred to as Gone to Earth)
The Richard Lester versions of The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers
Sammy Going South
Kill Bill
Quo Vadis
Cabaret
Gold
Rob Roy

The Blue Rose
Spoiler Alert!:
Not many would regard it as a great movie, I suppose but the most romantic and touching scene in any movie, I think, is at the end of the 1961 Steve Reeves film that is now usually called The Thief of Baghdad, although it was called The Blue Rose when I saw it as a child.  To win the princess, Reeves' character must endure many adventures and hardships to find a blue rose and give it to her.  At literally the last moment, he fails.  But then he takes a white rose and says to her "If you love me, then this is a blue rose."
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: MaryT on April 18, 2019, 05:58:19 PM
My favourite comedies, including romcoms, include
The Ladykillers  (the original)
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Arsenic and Old Lace
A Shot in the Dark
Pillow Talk
Lover Come Back
Send Me No Flowers
That Touch of Mink

My favourite horror/sci-fi horror movies include
Angel Heart
The Shining
The Omen
Ringu
The Craft
Alien

My favourite war movies include
Ice Cold in Alex
Lawrence of Arabia
Kelly's Heroes
Tobruk

My favourite westerns are
Mackenna's Gold
(It is rather stylised but critics would not mind that if it had been made by Italians.  Another critic complained that Gregory Peck was miscast, as though that were possible in any role.  He could have been good as one of the Seven Dwarves if he had wanted to.  The movie has treasure, a sheriff, a Mexican outlaw, indians, cavalry and a supernatural element, as well as an amazing cast.)

They Call Me Trinity

The Searchers
(Partial Spoiler Alert!:
I like the movie but I have reservations.  I think that John Wayne was miscast.  Unlike his usual roles, his character is a robber and bully who kicks a harmless disabled man, as well as being a murderous racist who plans to kill his own niece.  I believe that some John Wayne fans try to emulate the behaviour of their hero and I doubt that all of them would distinguish this role from his others.  However, although it is dated, it is still a masterpiece and it is still the only movie that I know of that shows mortal enemies using the same awful tactics against each other without either side realising that they are doing it.)

Other favourite movies include

Chinatown
Black Narcissus
Out of Africa
Born Free
The Wild Heart (sometimes referred to as Gone to Earth)
The Richard Lester versions of The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers
Sammy Going South
Kill Bill
Quo Vadis
Cabaret
Gold
Rob Roy

The Blue Rose
Spoiler Alert!:
Not many would regard it as a great movie, I suppose but the most romantic and touching scene in any movie, I think, is at the end of the 1961 Steve Reeves film that is now usually called The Thief of Baghdad, although it was called The Blue Rose when I saw it as a child.  To win the princess, Reeves' character must endure many adventures and hardships to find a blue rose and give it to her.  At literally the last moment, he fails.  But then he takes a white rose and says to her "If you love me, then this is a blue rose."

Others to add to my list include the comedy Westerns
Cat Ballou
Support Your Local Sheriff

And the horror movies
Dead of Night (1945)
The Rocking Horse Winner
The Thing
An American Werewolf in London

The Return of the Pink Panther is about as good as A Shot in the Dark.
  •