Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

please help me

Started by Rachel, March 08, 2006, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel

Im studying art at college and doing a project on gender change. when i was 17 I had a very hard time coming out i was gay. This came even hard when i thought i was in the wrong body, i didnt really feel right. There are still times when i dont now. Im very interested in peoples stories about gender the reason why there acted on there feeling or anything you feel like putting.. so please leave any messages, anything will be helpful to my research. thank you very much
  •  

Hazumu

For what it's worth, during my last therapy session we got to discussing what percentage of the population is transsexual. 

Pardon me while I set up the numbers here.  And please be aware I haven't cross-checked them.  I'm just re-playing the conversation we had.

My therapist is of the mind that transsexuality and homosexuality is something you inately are, not something you choose to be.  He also feels that there are those people who are, but are unaware of the fact, or are unwilling to acknowledge it.  As an example, people who are right at or below the IQ mean for the total population are not likely to figure out that their brain/mind gender are 'opposite' of their body.  Finally, there is some overlap in the numbers because you can have those who are both transgendered and homosexual.

Here's the numbers;

5% of the population (more or less) is wired for homosexuality.

3% of the population (more or less) is wired for transgender(ism?)

But only 1 out of 100 people who are transgendered pursue and complete some form of sexual reassignment, so that makes it about 1 out of 3333 people seek to make themselves whole.

Again, take these numbers with a grain (or perhaps a lick) of salt -- they're just a starting point for a discussion.

Haz
  •  

Leigh

U.S. Population Clock

10:59 am EST Jan 7, 2005

3% is 8,856,115

1% of the 3% is 88,561

•  

Teri Anne

Leigh, and if you divide the 88,561 (those who are supposidly TG) by 100 (1 in 100 are said to complete SRS), you end up with roughly 885 people in the U.S. have had SRS.  I don't know whether to believe that's low or high...

Well, as Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) said, "There are three kinds of lies:  statistics, statistics and statistics."

Teri Anne
  •  

Leigh

I had read that the best estimates of posties in the US are around 60K.  Figure that over the years and I can see where this would be fairly accurate,

Figures don't lie but liars figure.

Leigh
  •