Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Got a favorite cookbook?

Started by Ms Jessica, March 11, 2008, 01:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Jessica

I have a Williams Sonoma book on baking that I got last year.  Love it.  Everything I've tried has been excellent.  Orange madeleines and the apple tart are my favorites so far.  The filling for the strawberry napoleons is great, too.  My pastry didn't turn out so great, but the strawberry filling more than made up for it.  The problem with the pastry was my own fault, partly due to inexperience (mostly in working with a butter packet). 

I recently got a copy of Nigella Express.  Made a roast chicken and a potatoes au gratin recipe the other night.  Nigella's writing style is great, and since the chicken and potato recipes were both easy she said something along the lines of this being a great recipe since it takes like 10 minutes to prep and then the rest of the time it just bakes in the oven.  You have time to pour a drink, put on some lipstick and socialize with your guests.  We didn't have any guests, but I put on my lipstick anyway.  Who am I to quibble with Nigella Lawson?  :)

The chicken was okay.  I spruced it up a bit with some herbes de Provence, but I still thought it was a little bland.  The skin was great, though.  Wonderful and crispy.  The potatoes turned out well, but the recipe didn't call for cheese, which I think would have helped them quite a bit. 

I really like this chicken and potatoes recipe

So, what's your favorite cookbook?
  •  

Constance

My current favorite is From the Earth: Chinese Vegetarian Cooking by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo. The strange thing is, I'm not vegegtarian. My wife is, and I'm not ruling out vegetarianism as a possibility for me in the future.

But, this cookbook is just wonderful. I'm trying to find a good Japanese cookbook, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to see them.

lady amarant

I'm getting into raw veganism, and I am really enjoying Renee Underkoffler's "Living Quisine" As far as actual "cook" books, I really like Isa Chandra Moskowitz' Post-Punk Kitchen, and her book "Vegan with a Vengeance" is awesome.
  •  

Constance

Quote from: lady amarant on March 11, 2008, 02:46:27 PM
Post-Punk Kitchen ... Vegan with a Vengeance
Those are captivating titles. I might have to look into these.

christene

Americas Test Kitchen. I got it for Christmas and I love it....one of the best books I have used.
  •  

Constance

I just checked the local public library's online catalog, and they do indeed have "Vegan with a Vengeance." I think I'll check it out.

lady amarant

Quote from: Shades O'Grey on March 11, 2008, 05:47:59 PM
I just checked the local public library's online catalog, and they do indeed have "Vegan with a Vengeance." I think I'll check it out.

In the meantime, Post Punk Kitchen is Isa's online cookery show. Has its own site, and the vids are on youtube, I think. Isa rocks.
  •  

Constance

Quote from: lady amarant on March 11, 2008, 05:54:56 PM
In the meantime, Post Punk Kitchen is Isa's online cookery show. Has its own site, and the vids are on youtube, I think. Isa rocks.
Aha! That explains why I couldn't find "Post Punk Kitchen" in the library database. Excellent!

tekla

I don't use a cookbook.  If I need a recipe, I just go on-line.  The only one I own is the old school Better Homes and Gardens red and white check.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Ms Jessica

Ah, the Better Homes and Gardens-- a good standby.  I also like using the Joy of Cooking.  It's pretty easy stuff (especially for weeknights after work).  The "know your ingredients" sections are really useful, especially if you didn't grow up in a kitchen around some of the more obscure ingredients and spices. 

Vegan with a Vengeance, huh?  Might have to check that out.  Like the title.  What's your favorite recipe out of it?

Christine--
America's Test Kitchen?  Got any favorite recipes?  What's good?  Are the recipes complicated or easy? 

A caveat about the Williams-Sonoma books--the recipes are almost ridiculously complicated.  They pretty much use only fresh ingredients, never canned or frozen anything.  It's a lot more work, but the proof is in the final product.  Everything usually turns out great, but a lot of the recipes aren't very practical for everyday use. 
  •  

Melissa-kitty

Deborah Madison: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
The Bread Bible
Fanny Farmer Cookbook

All excellent, easy to use.
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: Jessica L. on March 12, 2008, 12:27:42 PM
Vegan with a Vengeance, huh?  Might have to check that out.  Like the title.  What's your favorite recipe out of it?

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Blondie Bars
and
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies (Sensing a pattern yet?)

Her Veggie Burgers are also amazing.
  •