Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Creativity

Started by MeghanAndrews, March 19, 2008, 06:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you creative and if so, how do you mainly express your creativity?

Writing (Poetry, stories, etc)
23 (31.1%)
Visual Arts (Paint, Drawing, Computer Art)
15 (20.3%)
Music (composing, singing, etc)
19 (25.7%)
Other (Anything else, what is it? Explain)
10 (13.5%)
I'm not a creative person
7 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 35

bethzerosix

i like to draw n paint n stuff. i like designing things and building them too. my favorite thing is to take something imaginary and make it real.:)
Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.
  •  

debbie j

myself i like to paint pic,s useing different art app,s. and such  i also enjoy writing. and so forth  :)
  •  

tekla

I'd like to make a note that I've never believed anyone who said that any of my work is good.   Not because I don't think the work is good, but rather that I suspect people are just trying to be nice.  I don't think what I do works for others so much as it does for me.  Even if I feel it's inferior in some way, I can always see it the way it is supposed to be.

Be careful, that almost makes you a real artist.  Long ago I found out that if I wanted to say anything to the band after the show, I should phrase it as an "I" statement, not a "You" statement.  So "I really liked the way you played Pop Goes the Weasel tonight" was always better than "Wow, you were awesome tonight"  Most real musicians walk off stage not thinking, "Gee I was swell" but thinking "In the third song on the second verse, I played an Aaug7 and not the Adim7"  A difference no one else (other than his band mates) noticed.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: beth06 on March 20, 2008, 08:19:19 PM
my favorite thing is to take something imaginary and make it real.:)

Hey, that's easy, you just multiply by the square root of negative one. :P (Of course, if it's partly real and partly imaginary, it's a little more complicated.)

Quote from: tekla on March 21, 2008, 08:03:15 AMMost real musicians walk off stage not thinking, "Gee I was swell" but thinking "In the third song on the second verse, I played an Aaug7 and not the Adim7"  A difference no one else (other than his band mates) noticed.

Now in classical music, people notice every mistake. Classical training can be a curse. You walk off the stage thinking "dammit, I flubbed the articulation a couple of the 16th note passages in the fast movement," and many people in the audience are thinking the same damn thing. (But even then, nobody ever cares nearly as much as the performer.)
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

tekla

Well, to be sure its a lot easier to notice the mistakes in a classical concert.  Debussy said that music is not the notes, but the spaces between them - something few, if any, rock band ever get is spaces between the notes.  At the level we insist on limiting them to in our venues (A puny 110 dbs, C Weighted - which means at the BACK of the room*) its hard to hear anything other than the din.  I think people going to classical music are more aware of the nuances in the score too, and many play some instrument at some level - which also changes the deal. 

I work with two symphonies, one world class, the other, a part-time local/regional deal.  I can hear the difference between them in a second and a half.

*db is a measurement of sound pressure.  Like the Richter Scale, its based on exponential math, so 80 db is 100% louder than 70db.  For reference, a jet airplane taking off directly over your head is about a 90db, so @110db we're talking 200% louder than that in rock shows- and, at that, bands get mad when we tell them to turn it down to that.  The loudest I've ever measured was 117db, Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: tekla on March 21, 2008, 09:10:40 AMDebussy said that music is not the notes, but the spaces between them

Huh. I always thought that was Miles Davis.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

tekla

He might well have said it too.  No metal band would ever say it however.
  •  

Shana A

Quote from: Alyssa M. on March 21, 2008, 09:55:33 AM
Quote from: tekla on March 21, 2008, 09:10:40 AMDebussy said that music is not the notes, but the spaces between them

Huh. I always thought that was Miles Davis.

Both are great examples of doing just that.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

tekla

I'd take Miles over Claude anyday.  Debussy was too derivative for my taste, but Miles was a giant.  But I'm more a cool jazz and counterpoint classical type person.
  •  

RebeccaFog

Tekla,

You should have asked Reznor to keep it down.  The audience is trying to listen.   :laugh:

I have some kind of attraction for space between the notes.  I'd marry one, if possible.

•  

tekla

Oh it took me, the production mgr, and the house mgr and the threat of turning off the power at the source to get them to peel it back to 110.  It still seemed plenty loud to me.  And I'm far more than half deaf.
  •  

Sarah Dreams

I hope this isn't  a dead topic or anything, but you seriously needed an "All of the above" choice.

I write, paint, shoot photographs, sing, play guitar, act, and write some seriously good software too.
  •  

Jay

I'm not a creative person

•  

Constance

I selected Music, as that's where most of my creative energy is focussed right now. But I write and draw (colored pencils and pastels), too.

RebeccaFog

Maybe Sarah Dreams can give one of her talents to Jay.   :)
  •  

Kaitlyn

I design web sites, do some basic Photoshop work, and play with typesetting for desktop publishing.  I like writing elegant code (esp. in Python).  I also write short stories and D&D adventures with way too much backstory.
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled."
— Plutarch
  •  

Sarah Dreams

Quote from: Rebis on October 05, 2008, 07:34:44 PM

Maybe Sarah Dreams can give one of her talents to Jay.   :)

Sorry, I need all my talents. ;) Besides, I have found no one to be truly talentless.
  •  

Northern Jane

Creativity? My whole life! Most of my professional life has been as a designer, engineering things that others build, from itty-bity to HUGE (like bigger than city blocks). In my off-time, I still design and build, in wood or steel or electrons, taking a thought and making it a functional reality.

I have also played music, sang, done weekly cartoon strips, video productions, written (both fiction and non-fiction), photography (from sheet film to wet-plate), home renovations ... and I am sure more would come to me if I thought about it.

Creativity is my life's blood - if I lost it I would die.
  •  

Fox

I have the ability to be creative but not the manual dexterity or the desire. For example Im horrible at art but its not because i can't visualize I can visualize things very well but I can't draw a staright line with a ruler to save my ass and I still can't even color in the lines  :P. As for writing I can write a novel in my head but I dislike writing and never do it for fun. Mostly my creativity came out in RPGs which i have always loved to do.
  •  

Sephirah

I used to write, a lot more than I do now. Fiction (short stories mainly), but most ended up being rather... dark. A few poems, but I'm most definitely no poet. Plus, most of my work went AWOL when the hard drive I kept them on died, and then the website I had put them on also died.

I don't really have either the inspiration or the motivation to write anymore.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •