News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Manga and other transgender cartoons

Started by NickSister, October 04, 2007, 06:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalt

Quote from: cindybc on October 18, 2007, 09:15:33 PM
You could be surprised Honey what experiences and different things a 62 year old hippy >-bleeped-< has experienced in her life including smoking dope and drinking herself silly on moon shine and traveled half the Eastern US had my feet in both the Atlantic ocean and the Pacific across Canada and now 7 years full time and 4 years post op. Wanna learn anything else  young un?

Cindy 
Yes.
What's the color of your nose hair?!!!

hahah, j/k

I know, I know, we know, you're old!

But we'll still luffles you, just we'll guard our bodies... wouldn' want some kid like you stuck in that body tryign to steal one of our youthful ones.
haha, I could see it now, you stealing Micheal Jordan's bod and transitioning, or someone buff like him.
FLEX WHEELER in a bra, omg.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: ell on October 18, 2007, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: Jaimey on October 05, 2007, 04:00:44 PM
I do think that manga artists push the envelope, but then again, they are still restricted by what is culturally acceptable in Japan.  In most yaoi, the main characters almost always mention that they date women too, so they aren't gay, they just happen to like some men.  I guess that makes it okay... ???

Gay is not acceptable (anymore) in Japan? OMG, say it ain't so. I read Hagakure: Book of the Samurai, and it was totally acceptable to them. wonder when it changed? hey, if it's good enough for a samurai, it's good enough for me.

That comes up in the anime Samurai Champloo...the dude from Holland who came to Japan because he thought that gay love was acceptable there.  From what I understand, it was outside influence (most likely from China...Confucianism and all that) that changed Japanese society.  Japanese society is pretty complicated from an outsider's point of view.  Women are still expected to stay at home and raise the children while men work, etc.  In many ways, it's still a very traditional society.  Of course, in many places in the US, there are still very traditional beliefs (which have unfortunately gotten, well, louder if not stronger since you-know-who became president). 

I do think that things are changing in Japan just as they are changing in the US.  But it's hard to change the mentality of an entire country.  It would be nice if there were a person from Japan on this forum who could comment on this. 
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

kalt

CREEPY.
In strawberry eggs there's a love affair between a 20+ year old crossdresser dude and his 13 yr old under developed student>.>

I kinda hope they hook up though, which is even worse!!!
  •  

Omika

Forgive me for quoting myself again, but, along time ago I said something quite poignant regarding this very subject.

"The Japanese are weird bastards."

Words that I find become truer and truer as time goes on.

~ BB
  •  

kalt

Quote from: Blair on October 23, 2007, 01:43:24 PM
Forgive me for quoting myself again, but, along time ago I said something quite poignant regarding this very subject.

~ BB
They're normal.

We're weird!
  •  

Lisbeth

~ BB
The things you find in manga are rebellion against Japanese culture.  Just like the things you find in American comic books are rebellion against American culture.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Jaimey

If you think I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs is weird...you should read some yaoi.  There are things in there that make ME blush, and that is saying something. 

The whole teacher/student thing is pretty popular and I guess I can see how some people might enjoy that...but what I don't understand is why does incest keep popping up?  I can dismiss it once, I mean, I did read Angel Sanctuary and it's actually one of my favorite series, but ever since I read it, incest just keeps making it's way into books.  The author of Angel Sanctuary, Kaori Yuki, did write in one of the side bars that all of her friends told her how disgusting that was and that she was an only child, but still...

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

Omika

Quote from: Lisbeth on October 23, 2007, 03:29:37 PM

~ BB
The things you find in manga are rebellion against Japanese culture.  Just like the things you find in American comic books are rebellion against American culture.

The harder you try to press it all down, the more concentrated it becomes.

And I think anyone who has dipped their head into the inky depths of the subject in question can agree that this stuff is rich in full-flavored perversion and general strangeness.

It's spectacular!

~ BB
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Blair on October 23, 2007, 05:01:08 PM
Quote from: Lisbeth on October 23, 2007, 03:29:37 PM
The harder you try to press it all down, the more concentrated it becomes.
An excellent way to put it.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

prettydrake

My GF just introduced me to this online-comic that I have already fallen in love with.  It's not anime or manga, just a really good comic where, incidentally, all the characters are gay.  Plus it has, as Serra puts it, "a smexy transgendered girl".

<a href="http://www.khaoskomix.com/home.html">This</a> link will take you to the comic; it's called Khaos Komix.  Very very good :)

~Rachael
  •  

OtokoSuki

The last Anime I watched was Princess Princess and they looked so hot when they cross dressed!
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: OtokoSuki on December 25, 2007, 04:59:07 PM
The last Anime I watched was Princess Princess and they looked so hot when they cross dressed!

I LOVE Princess Princess!!!  The last book came out in November...have you ever read/seen Kashimashi?  Also, Love.com has a transgendered mtf in book 2.  Another recommendation (I'm sure I've already mentioned this before, but oh well) Day of Revolution (It's about Princess Princess's Mikoto's girlfriend). 

I love gender-bending manga/anime!

•  

OtokoSuki

Hey Jaimey,
speaking of Princess Princess, have you seen the J-drama version( Princess Princess D)? 
  •  

Keira

When you ride the train in Tokyo, and see al those middle aged men buying manga's an reading them on the train and most of the heroins are very young scantily cald and secualised girls, you have to wonder what's wrong with japanese culture! I spent a month there in 2002 and still haven't a clue.
For an outsider, its impenetrable unless marying in and spending LOTS of time there; like an acquaintance did. Gender roles are very defined and men seem to be caught in bad place where they're roles and expectations are crushing them.  Many young people try to rebel, but there is really no social countermovement (like there was in the US) to unite them. They all rebel in their own special way, wheter it is to be shuttins or for girls to dress like an overgrown chld and head for or shibuya crossings or some other of those spots.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: OtokoSuki on December 30, 2007, 09:09:06 PM
Hey Jaimey,
speaking of Princess Princess, have you seen the J-drama version( Princess Princess D)? 

I saw about four episodes of it...I couldn't get through it, which is surprising because I LOVE j-drama!  I think the actor for Sakamoto did it in for me...he just wasn't Sakamoto!   :'(  I was sad.  heh.

I highly recommend Akihabara@Deep (about Otaku fighting back...it's great...especially Box-kun), Nodame Cantabile (there's an anime and manga for it, but I like the drama best!), Hana Kimi (different than the manga, but still good...Nakatsu is also Box-kun...he's such a good comedic actor), and Yamada Taro Monagatari...those are all pretty awesome!  I get mine from www.veoh.com.

•  

Sarah

Noir.
Rocks.
Not realy transgender, but great.
Just amazing.
Ghost in the Shell is my all time greatest film ever film.
It is fantastic.
There is no comparison.
The series is also easily one of the best.
All of the Miyazaki films are good.
Spirited Away is probably the best. It was his masterpiece and you can feel it.
Porco Rosso was his favorite. It is fun.
And of course Princess Mononoke and Nausica.
They are all good.

There is a lot of androgynous stuff in anime.

Hentai deals directly with a lot of gender bending stuff.
I've seen more than one where some girl sprouted a dik to do some girl.
Realy strange stuff. But -Ok.

Sara
  •  

soldierjane

I like Matt Nishii's funnies at www.transe-generation.com

I adore anime but 'm pretty disappointed with the way trans issues are treated there so I've stopped looking for a good, informed portrayal. There's mostly gender-bending, crossdressing and the like but it's no more than gender play for the outlandish reasons of always (taking sister's place, hiding, curses, evil medical procedures or worse of all, to bed men). There's also always the feeling that the characters cannot escape their (usually male) birth sex... and yeah they are either guys "magically" in female bodies or the bishonen type who is so fem he "might as well be a girl". The Japanese may be ok with gender play but they are freaked out by transsexuals.
Bah.

•  

cindybc

Hi Soldierjane, the link doesn't work.

Cindy
  •  

soldierjane

Quote from: cindybc on March 30, 2008, 02:13:13 AM
Hi Soldierjane, the link doesn't work.

Cindy

Yeah he's down for some reason, I hope not for a long time.

Try "Lean on me" (http://jadaze.comicgenesis.com/) while you wait :D
  •  

cindybc

Hi Soldierjane, Thank you so much hon. I just love these anims or animations, what ever they call them.

Cindy

•