Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Epilepsy and Hormone Therapy [Help!]

Started by gendriadys4, March 25, 2008, 08:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gendriadys4

I've been a diagnosed epileptic since about 21. Although I've curbed my seizures for 4 years now, I could still be at risk of having one.  Does being an Epileptic have any affect about going for hormone replacement therapy? Will it cause any damage I should be concerned over?

I don't know if anyone has ever had this problem before. Am I worrying too much or is this founded somehow in logic?
  •  

tekla

I typed in Epilepsy and Hormone into Google and got over a quarter of a million hits.  Start with that.  But it would seem counter.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

taru

Many epilepsy meds and HRT interact with each other. And hormone levels can have an effect on epilepsy.

Probably it is quite possible to have HRT but it makes sense to discuss it carefully with both the endo and the doctor responsible for treating epilepsy.
  •  

lady amarant

Better yet, get the two doctors to talk to each other about it, instead of you playing messenger in the middle. Not something I think any of us are in any way qualified to give advice on, but good luck dear-heart.

~Simone
  •  

taru

Yes. If they are willing to discuss it between themselves that is a very good thing. Else you have to play messenger and be careful & informed.

But you might still need to titrate doses together with your doctors depending on how you respond to the meds as the interaction is quite complex and invidual. (I am on epilepsy meds and the equation is pretty complex at least in my case)
  •  

gendriadys4

Quote from: taru on March 26, 2008, 02:29:19 AM
Many epilepsy meds and HRT interact with each other. And hormone levels can have an effect on epilepsy.

Probably it is quite possible to have HRT but it makes sense to discuss it carefully with both the endo and the doctor responsible for treating epilepsy.

Yeah, I'll definitely take that to heart! I was always in the dark about HRT and epilepsy. I'd ask my dad about it, he's a nurse himself but, he's not the most supportive of me. He'd just as well dissuade it and excuse it just for health reasons.

Quote from: taru on March 26, 2008, 06:53:15 AM

how you respond to the meds as the interaction is quite complex and invidual. (I am on epilepsy meds and the equation is pretty complex at least in my case)

I'm glad to hear this from another epileptic. You being the most informative, I'll really make baby steps with this. Especially considering the very complex nature. My boyfriend wouldn't mind exploring other options with me, but I'm not about to give up. I'm sure I can find -some- form of HRT that works with me.

Thank you everyone else for the responses! <3
  •