News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Forehead surgery w/ Dr. Ousterhout

Started by Raw2112, April 29, 2008, 02:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raw2112

Hello,
I'm a 35 year old male, living in the San francisco Bay area. Always bothered by a prominent brow
I had forehead contouring  w/ Dr. Ousterhout 5 yrs ago. He shaved the brow and smoothed the upper forehead w/ Methylmethacylate reinforced by stainless steel wire.

Over the last year and half i've had numerous health problems including vision/ floaters and autoimmune disorder.
I never made the connection but I'm wondering if it could be related to the filler used and/ or the stainless steel wire. I've seen other doc's use titanium and am concerned about the steel leeching into the system or MMA causing a problem. I really don't want to go through him taking the implant out but maybe it's causing a problem..   Anyway, wondered if anyone else had this procedure using same materials and if they are having any issues.. Thanks in advance-- Raw

Posted on: April 28, 2008, 04:35:17 PM
I'm bumping this thread for a response. I'm sure somebody has gone through this surgery and may know what materials were used for their implant.  Again, my concerns are about the methylmethacylate and steel wiring possibly leeching or causing reaction in the system and health concerns.  --Raw
  •  

lisagurl

Dr. Ousterhout used a ground up coral mixed with my blood to attach to my bone. In time it becomes a natural part of your bone.
  •  

Raw2112

Thanks for responding Lisagurl. Wow, That's interesting, I havn't read about that. How long ago did you get this done?
Was there any steel or titanium wire/screws involved?
  •  

lisagurl

Yes most of his patients have titanium wire/screws  most likely from old Russian Subs. Titanium has never been a problem for anyone. I was there 3 years ago. Why not talk to him about it. I am sure he will be interested in your problems but I doubt they are from the operation. I never heard of him useing Methyl methacylate, I doubt he used it on you.
  •  

Raw2112

I have an appointment to see him in a couple weeks. I will get x-rays on the way up to see what's going on and hopefully compare to old films. He definitely used methyl methacrylate, as he told me and if you check on line it is used extensively in cranial surgery. I've been told by Mira a few times he also used non-magnetic stainless steel and that's another big concern regarding corrosion and degradation. I'm going to have some heavy metal tests done to see if there is any leaching into the system. This was done 5 yrs ago titanium probably wasn't as accessible or inexpensive, although he does charge quite a bit more now I noticed.  Thanks for the replies--Raw
  •  

Butterfly

When did you see Dr. Ousterhout?  I went to him years ago.  I'm quite surprised Mira's still with him.  Thought she was opting for early retirement. ???
  •  

Raw2112

I saw him 5 yrs ago, spoke to Mira a few days ago about seeing him in a few weeks. I wonder though it seems like he's getting older and I hear a lot of negative outcomes as I've looked around the last few days. I have a feeling they are gonna tell me there is no  problem, and if there is do I want him to go in again. Then deal w/ the recovery:(
  •  

samanthawhalen

Quote from: Raw2112 on April 30, 2008, 12:27:04 AM
I saw him 5 yrs ago, spoke to Mira a few days ago about seeing him in a few weeks. I wonder though it seems like he's getting older and I hear a lot of negative outcomes as I've looked around the last few days. I have a feeling they are gonna tell me there is no  problem, and if there is do I want him to go in again. Then deal w/ the recovery:(

He's definitely "getting older", alright :D  I saw a picture of him about six months ago and decided from the picture alone that there was no way I would allow him to operate on me.  The man is OLD.

Aeron
  •  

Beyond

Quote from: Raw2112 on April 29, 2008, 02:25:15 PM
Hello,
I'm a 35 year old male, living in the San francisco Bay area. Always bothered by a prominent brow
I had forehead contouring  w/ Dr. Ousterhout 5 yrs ago. He shaved the brow and smoothed the upper forehead w/ Methylmethacylate reinforced by stainless steel wire.

Over the last year and half i've had numerous health problems including vision/ floaters and autoimmune disorder.
I never made the connection but I'm wondering if it could be related to the filler used and/ or the stainless steel wire. I've seen other doc's use titanium and am concerned about the steel leeching into the system or MMA causing a problem. I really don't want to go through him taking the implant out but maybe it's causing a problem..   Anyway, wondered if anyone else had this procedure using same materials and if they are having any issues.. Thanks in advance-- Raw

I doubt the surgery has caused your problems.  I believe the Methymethacylate has been in use since WW2!  In 5 years on-line I've only heard of 1 person who had anything remotely similar to what you describe.  She had a reaction to the bone paste, the body started rejecting it after some months.  It was literally being pushed out.  So she went back and Dr O removed what was left.  Ironically she was from the Bay area as well.  Something in the water?  I wouldn't hesitate going back and getting Dr O's opinion though.  He's very meticulous about such things and keeps records of everything.  Couldn't hurt.

Disclosure: I'm a Dr O grad also.
  •  

sarahb

Quote from: AeronTG on April 30, 2008, 11:26:26 PM

He's definitely "getting older", alright :D  I saw a picture of him about six months ago and decided from the picture alone that there was no way I would allow him to operate on me.  The man is OLD.

Aeron

Trust me, his age has no bearing on his abilities. I just had my surgery with him yesterday morning and he still acts like a spring chicken. You wouldn't even think he's as old as he is after meeting him. I knew the minute I had my first consultation that I would go with him and no other. From the excellent post-op pics of other girls, his high level of experience, and amazing attention to detail, he is still the number one surgeon in FFS as far as I'm concerned.

On a side note, maybe I just got lucky, but I've heard that the nursing care after the surgery is bad at the hospital but all I have to say is wonderful things about the entire experience. They were very attentive and nice and always made sure I was taken care of. This whole experience has, and continues to exceed my expectations. I am staying at the Cocoon Guest House now and Mary-Lou and Tricia are awesome. Everything has been wonderful.

Please just take this as my opinion and personal experience. You should still do your own research and choose the best surgeon for you. Good luck!

Sarah
  •  

soldierjane

Quote from: AeronTG on April 30, 2008, 11:26:26 PM

Aeron

Yeah I'd only let a young hot stud work my face with a bone grinder too.
I saw the Ousterizer at a SC about 4 years ago and he seemed pretty healthy. A friend had surgery with him a few months before that and she's fine. If you're burning 40K, might as well get name brand ne?
  •