Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I Favor Discrimination (commentary)

Started by Natasha, May 05, 2008, 12:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

I Favor Discrimination

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rozeff/rozeff205.html
5/4/2008

"If ever anyone wants to discredit me, he can cite the title of this
article. I am giving it away on a silver platter in order to make one
point: Freedom includes the freedom to discriminate.

Discrimination is nothing more than making distinctions and being
selective. Without discrimination, freedom to choose is an empty
exercise. I favor the freedom to choose. Therefore, I favor
discrimination."
  •  

tekla

I'm sure he misses those mass rallies, beer hall putschs, and group singing "Die Fahne hoch" ("Raise High the Flag"), also known as Horst-Wessel Song.   
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Laura91

This guy sounds like a complete dunce.
  •  

Pica Pica

However, reading the article - he is just using that as an eyecatching way of getting into what he actually wants to talk about, which is not about discrimination at all.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

NicholeW.

Whatever happened to the 'good ole days' where everyone knew their place and stayed there, with their children?!! All these people of color, LBGTs, women and assorted other 'less thans' interfering with my good genes, good money and right-minded politics have just ruined things for us 'true' human beings.

What's the USA coming to when you cannot legally prevent people from having health care, employment, housing and food because you cannot know enough about their faults to make bigoted decisions. And even if you find out, now ya gotta try to find some way to be bigoted without anyone else knowing!! The country has gone to hell in a handbasket!!

N~
  •  

Rachael

tbh, hes right....

we view 'discrimination' as something bad... its  not.... you discriminate when you choose which dish you want to eat at a resteraunt.... what street to walk down. where to live.... we discriminate many times a day.

the word has just achived a different meaning amongst minorities.... as the enemy....
  •  

tekla

The main part of the article dealt with DNA and who can, and should have access to that information.  Is anyone who wants to live in stealth, or to full transition to the other side want that to be public, or available to the highest bidder?
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: Rachael on May 05, 2008, 11:50:45 AM
tbh, hes right....

we view 'discrimination' as something bad... its  not.... you discriminate when you choose which dish you want to eat at a resteraunt.... what street to walk down. where to live.... we discriminate many times a day.

the word has just achived a different meaning amongst minorities.... as the enemy....

I think you missed the actual text. He gave you what you say to begin with, and I concur with that, and you on that.

Then he switched to something else, which was exactly that he missed being able to discriminate in the other fashion, over the non-essentials and the surface nature of how people looked and who they are.

You, for instance, would make it not a bit with him if he had any clue about your history. And THAT was the problem with his brand of 'discrimination.' He'd make a determination on you due to his biases, not on anything substantial, like are you intelligent, a good person, someone who might be able to educate him on things he might need to know.

N~
  •  

tekla

The old asylums have been emptied, but we have new ones that go by the name of University of XYZ Law School.

Apparently one of them missed the law school and found the finance department by mistake.
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: tekla on May 05, 2008, 12:17:42 PM
The old asylums have been emptied, but we have new ones that go by the name of University of XYZ Law School.

Apparently one of them missed the law school and found the finance department by mistake.

LOL!! At HIS corporation?
  •  

tekla

Oh, he doesn't run a business, he's just a retired academic and a big Ron Paul supporter.
  •  

Ms Jessica

Bizarre.  Reminds me of an old rant that was circulating in email a while back.  It was credited to George Carlin, even though that great worthy had nothing to do with it. 
Regardless, this strikes me as merely an attempt to get attention by saying something that sounds provocative but really isn't.  His arguments are more in favor of voluntarily providing information (like genetic data) to get lower insurance rates because he doesn't have a genetic predispostion to something like, let's say colon cancer.  In an ideal world, that would be great.  It's like getting a good driver discount on your auto insurance.  But we don't live in an ideal world. 
There are two flaws with the author's thinking.  The first is that a genetic predisposition is, in most cases, going to have less of an effect in the long run than any of the known environmental variables that affect any such conditions.  As an example, the BRCA genes that have been implicated in breast cancer only raise the chances of breast cancer by a miniscule amount.  I don't remember the exact number, and I'm too lazy to dig up the info right now.  It's one of those things where a woman with breast cancer almost always has the mutation, but not every woman with the mutation will get breast cancer.  Environmental variables are going to have a much bigger impact in most cases than any genetic predisposition.  If health insurers were in the habit of giving discounts based on risk, you would probably get a better discount if you could prove that you eat healthy and exercise. 
The second flaw with the "I favor discrimination" concept is that GINA wasn't passed to prevent the voluntary exchange of information to help you negotiate better interest rates.  GINA was passed so that no individual could be denied health insurance on the basis of some supposed genetic risk.  It prevents you from being denied health insurance because heart disease runs in your family, for example.  The issue is not that people would be charged higher premiums for their insurance.  The issue is that those people would simply not be insured at all.  GINA was designed to protect those people. 
How many people here have GID (Rhetorical question)?  And how many people (in the US) have insurance coverage that pays for treatment related to your GID (another rhetorical question)?  I don't.  My therapy visits are covered because I have major depression.  The depression is a result of the GID, of course, but my insurance doesn't pay for GID-related therapy.  They pay for depression-related therapy.  Whether GID has any genetic components is not the issue I'm trying to raise.  I'm pointing out that insurance companies already decide whether to cover certain treatments or not, genetic or not.  If the insurers had access to genetic information, they would simply deny coverage for an even broader range of diseases/conditions than they do currently.   
Imagine knowing that you were a carrier for a debilitating genetic disease, that your partner is also a carrier for said disease, and your insurance company decides it's too great a risk to insure your children because they might actually have the disease.  And that's exactly what they would do.  I'd be fine paying a higher premium to have insurance cover expenses related to a genetic disease.  Or GID.  Or whatever your insurance company might deny you coverage for.  But that's not an option; that's not how the system works.  Michael Rozoff has his head lodged so far up his a$$ that he doesn't even realize that this is not how we do business here in the US.  We simply deny coverage to people that are too great a risk.  This is how insurance companies save money, and return a profit to their investors. 
  •  

tekla

Makes a great case for single-payer not-for-profit health care insurance, which (as insurance is supposed to do) spread the risks over the largest possible number of people.
  •