Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Books at your bedside right now

Started by Nero, June 19, 2006, 08:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beatrix

I read constantly, and just finished "genderqueer," a collections of essays about/by genderqueer folk.  This was interesting and put some stuff in perspective, though I could only solidly identify with one person in there.  I read it in, like, three days, which is quick, because I read painfully slow.

I just finished Startide Rising by Brin and TSOG by Robert Anton Wilson.  I'm actually just in the ebb and flow of books right now, finishing about 4 or 5 of them at once, which is kind of neat, like an orchestra coming together at once.  The other ones were "Stranger than Fiction" by Chuck Palinhuck (spelling?) and "Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf. 

I keep picking up Murakami's "A Wind Up Bird Chronicle."  That is awesome, and the only reason I keep putting it down because other stuff comes up that I "have" to read, but it's never far from my mind.

It's my summer reading before starting my linguistics course in the fall.  There is, of course, the inner geek in me trying to learn PHP and other web-stuff so my website can be something meaningful instead of a wasted "placeholder" domain.

If you want a good classic, I can't recommend any of Hemmingway highly enough.  That's if you're feeling particularly masculine.  I like his short stories a lot (probably because I can read them in a sitting while I identify more as "male").  "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is an awesome story, and made me think a whole bunch about what it means to be a person in this world, in addition to my "male" self in that queer kind of way that it is for me.  The interpretation is kind of cheesy, I know, but I'm still in school for English (M.A.), so it's habit at this point.
  •  

DawnL

"Are you there God?  It's me, Margaret" by Judy Blume.  Not great literature but fun chick-lit.

Dawn
  •  

LostInTime

I have Bad Dates From Hell which is a collection of short stories, the first one being a story about a living vampire named Ivy by Kim Harrison.  It ties into the little universe that she has created with her series of books.

The others are the Kushiel Legacy books except for the most recent, which I do not own.
  •  

Luc

Jeez, I usually am reading one book or another, but right now, Playboy's about the only thing keeping my attention. I did just recently finish Prozac Nation, which is awesome if you're interested in psychology, and on the way home I listened to the book on tape of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind by Chuck Barris. For those of you who might have seen the movie of this with Sam Rockwell, the book is a lot better, and I highly recommend it. Nothing like a good hit-man story for a long road trip.

Rafe
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Melissa on June 19, 2006, 09:37:50 PM
I wasn't reading any books, but I went to see what was on my bedstand and found a book that I had put off reading because of transition.  I'll start reading it tomorrow or maybe even tonight.  It's called The Codex by Douglas Preston.  I picked it out a while ago, but my wife read it first. My wife said it was pretty good.

Melissa
I forgot.  I finished this book shortly before going fulltime and it was pretty good.  The last book I was reading was my TI-89 calculator manual :icon_wave-nerd:, but I think I'll read Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes next.

Melissa
  •  

Maggie

I'm reading three or four books right now.  First and foremost is Pretties by Scott Westerfeld.  It's part two of the Uglies trilogy and I really suggest any of you check it out.  It's great.  It's about a future world where people get mandatory surgery at sixteen to make them pretty, so that everyone's the same.  Sadly, no mention of sex change surgeries, but...  well, one big issue at a time, right?   ;D

I'm also reading The Conqueror Worms by Brian Keene, and um... Abarat 2 by Clive Barker.  Something else, also, but I don't remember what.
  •  

tinkerbell

I just finished reading squirrel cage , and now I'm reading

NUT: Musings and Prose.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

HelenW

I'm in the middle of Girl Talk, All the Stuff Your Sister Never Told you by Carol Weston (3rd edition) that I bought at the local thrift store.  It's a guide for teenage girls, not that I'm even close to being teen aged *sigh* (hee hee!) but a prepubescent female I may just be.  The information is fairly basic for a 51 year old but it is valuable to me by how it illustrates the POV and concerns of girls and young women as they mature.

I have to get a new reading lamp for the couch, though, the spouse has ruled that the old one was ugly and just had to go so now I'm literally in the dark when I want to read there  ;D

huggas & Smilees!
helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

BrandiOK

Reading "Squirrel Cage" by Cindianna_Jones :P

I try to read just a little bit each day because A. Some of it is so reminiscent of my own life it's difficult to deal with and B. When I find a book that I enjoy reading I don't want to reach the end.
  •  

Melissa

I don't have any books at my bedside right now because I just moved. Lol.  Actually, I have been working on some puzzle books like sudoku and other puzzles.  Anything to stimulate my brain.

Melissa
  •  

Kendall

I am reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. A very popular tale of a boy from a popular family, that portrays modern Afghanistan after the Russians invade. And their journey to America. And the horrific boy experiences of post Nazi world after WWII.

I have a brand new release that looks extremely interesting also ready to read. Its called Hood, by Stephen Lawhead a darker version of Robyn the Hood filled with historical context.
  •  

Maggie

Ooh, cool, Kendra!  I've seen that Hood book around and it looks really interesting, but I wasn't sure if it'd be something I'd like or not.  Maybe I'll give it a chance.
  •  

taylor

Tinkerbell,

If you talked to many of those that have been previously on Prozac or those that have worked with people coming off of prozac you would find that they will tell you putting it in the water will only increase suicide and the murder rate in the US.  Prozac like many drugs may work for some, but then there is the other side of the coin. And the other side of that coin is a very dark and ugly picture my friend.  I have not read the book your talking about, am wondering if they mention the other side of the coin??

Peace,

Taylor
  •  

Mario

Just Taylor's "All Points in Between"

Marco
  •  

Christopher

"What to say When You Talk To Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter,Ph.D.
So far an incredible book that claims to teach how we can create the energy to turn our dreams into reality by knowing the secrets of what to say when we talk to ourselves.
I have been looking for a "better way" and so far these techniques are really helping. It has helped me realize that most of what I tell myself works against me. Most of us have been negatively programmed, this book helps to reverse the negative programming and claims that it will fill your life with new, vital energy.
So with the book, the daily exercise (that everyone here has been recommending, and the incredible new supplements I am taking, Life is really looking great!
         Thank you all for the sharing on this site.
  •  

beatrix

Quote from: taylor on September 29, 2006, 02:30:32 PM
Tinkerbell,

If you talked to many of those that have been previously on Prozac or those that have worked with people coming off of prozac you would find that they will tell you putting it in the water will only increase suicide and the murder rate in the US.  Prozac like many drugs may work for some, but then there is the other side of the coin. And the other side of that coin is a very dark and ugly picture my friend.  I have not read the book your talking about, am wondering if they mention the other side of the coin??

Peace,

Taylor

The month I was on prozac was the worst in my life.  I was confused and my family and job life suffered.  I literally thought of suicide daily as I got used to taking it and finally had to stop and move on.

Take it if your doctor recommends, but watch out, and be prepared to change a couple times to find out what drug is right for you.
  •  

Kendall

Finished Kite Runner. Loved it. Deep, magical, shocking at times.

A third the way through Hood. Reads like a movie.  My first Lawhead book. Keeps me reading even at lunch breaks and 10 min breaks.

I got 4 books free from a meeting that had authors trying to promote books. For some reason the 4 I got were the teen fantasy books, but thats ok with me. Free Advance copies are always good, so might find something interesting from these.

Endymion Spring is supposed to maybe be made into a children's movie, so It looks good to read.

Last year I got shakespear's biography, which I havent touched yet lol. Though the year before that I got a set of the Gear novels "People of the ..." Indian Novels signed. Pretty cool.

Anyway, after Hood, I might read one or more of the these 4 books.

Ken / Kendra

Just read Memory Keepers Daughter. It made me cry. Very rarely do I cry from a book.

Now I am reading the Epic of Gilgamesh. Very entertaining and learning experience.
  •  

tinkerbell

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley.

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Kendall

J R R Tokien's New book (yes he has been dead for nearly 35 years)

On page 72 already.
  •