News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Books at your bedside right now

Started by Nero, June 19, 2006, 08:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

What books are we reading right now?

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

tinkerbell

Hi

I'm now reading "El Angel sin alas" from N. timoyco (peruvian writer)
Talks about south american transgender girls who immigrate to Europe hoping to find a better life for themselves, and everything they find is a life full of lies. I don't know the ending yet, but the way is going tells me it is going to have a happy one. :D

tinkerbell 
  •  

Chaunte

EXTINCTION: How Life ON Earth Nearly Ended 250 Million Years Ago by Douglas H. Erwin

This is better than any disaster novel since this is real!

Chaunte, the proudly self-professed science geek!
  •  

Melissa

I wasn't reading any books, but I went to see what was on my bedstand and found a book that I had put off reading because of transition.  I'll start reading it tomorrow or maybe even tonight.  It's called The Codex by Douglas Preston.  I picked it out a while ago, but my wife read it first. My wife said it was pretty good.

Melissa
  •  

Kate

"The Stolen Child," by Keith Donohue.

A novel illustrating the old myth about how faeries would swap lives with human babies (aka "Changelings") - the human growing up in faeryland, and the faerie baby having to grow up amidst humans, learning their ways... both always longing to go home again.

Hmmm...
  •  

stephanie_craxford

*sigh*No books beside my bed.  I used to be an avid reader of science fiction and doomsday books, but I think my life got in the way.  I just don't seem to have the time, maybe I'm just being lazy and I should make time as I used to enjoy it.

Steph
  •  

Rana

I don't seem to have time for books at present - am here too much for them usually.  But,  do Magazines count??   if so, New Scientist, Fortean Times, Quadrant,  Inside Sport (which I read for the really good articles not the girley pics,  Truely :)   )

Rana
  •  

Chynna

ME:
Passion Marks, Lee Hayes

ME & the husband:
The Nature of Space & Time, Stephen Hawking

Chynna
  •  

Sandi

These books are currently on my nightstand.

The Singularity Is Near (When Humans Transcend Biology)
by Ray Kurzweil

Amazon review: Humankind, it runs, is at the threshold of an epoch ("the singularity," a reference to the theoretical limitlessness of exponential expansion) that will see the merging of our biology with the staggering achievements of "GNR" (genetics, nanotechnology and robotics) to create a species of unrecognizably high intelligence, durability, comprehension, memory and so on. The word "unrecognizable" is not chosen lightly: wherever this is heading, it won't look like us. Kurzweil's argument is necessarily twofold: it's not enough to argue that there are virtually no constraints on our capacity; he must also convince readers that such developments are desirable. In essence, he conflates the wholesale transformation of the species with "immortality," for which read a repeal of human limit.

A Knight in Shining Armor
by Jude Deveraux (into my 2nd reading)

Amazon review: In 1988 Douglass Montgomery is on holiday with her live-in boyfriend in England. After a huge fight with him and his daughter Douglass is left behind with no money or passport. In grief she goes to the nearby church and cries out that she wishes she had a knight in shining armor. Low and behold Nicholas Stafford, the earl of Thornwyck appears out of sixteenth century England. At first Douglass doesn't believe him that he's from the sixteenth century. She finds his way of dress strange, his talk ridiculous and the fact that he doesn't know what a car is or how to use the bathroom is outrageous! Well, eventually Nicholas wins over Douglass and the two are set to finding out who tried to set Nicholas up for treason in Elizabethian times.

•  

Kate

Quote from: Sandi on June 20, 2006, 02:29:13 PM
The Singularity Is Near (When Humans Transcend Biology)
by Ray Kurzweil

Amazon review: Humankind, it runs, is at the threshold of an epoch ("the singularity," a reference to the theoretical limitlessness of exponential expansion) that will see the merging of our biology with the staggering achievements of "GNR" (genetics, nanotechnology and robotics) to create a species of unrecognizably high intelligence, durability, comprehension, memory and so on. The word "unrecognizable" is not chosen lightly: wherever this is heading, it won't look like us. Kurzweil's argument is necessarily twofold: it's not enough to argue that there are virtually no constraints on our capacity; he must also convince readers that such developments are desirable. In essence, he conflates the wholesale transformation of the species with "immortality," for which read a repeal of human limit.

Hey, that's pretty neat! I've been wrestling with the Fermi paradox ("Why we don't see evidence of alien civilizations?") for awhile now, and that's pretty much what I've settled on as an explanation (that maturing civilizations inevitably hit some sort of evolutionary bump that transcends them beyond technology - at least as we understand it). I'll have to check this book out.
  •  

TheBattler

I am reading 'Middlesex' by Jefferey Eugenides. It is about a girl who transforms into a man. It is very long (I have been reading it for months) and I am just getting to the part where he talk about his life. It does not say so but from what I have read of the book he was born intersex.

Alice
  •  

BFKate

The Divided Self by R.D. Laing.  Lots of big words a great many of which fly past me without going in.  Not least of which is the phrase "existential phenomenological method" ??? Still good stuff though...i think.

Also now reading the the 4th book in Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet called "Clea" These are great books set in Alexandria between the Wars and the prose pours off the page like a dream.

And some of Charles Bukowski's poetry.  Just got two of his collections "The Last Night of the Earth Poems" and "You get so alone it just makes sense"
And Noam Chomsky's latest book "Failed States", this last one is breakfast reading rather than night time, too heavy to be dropping off to but nice to waken up with.
  •  

HelenW

Ulysses by James Joyce

I've read that it is considered by some to be the "greatest English novel" but I am reserving judgement.  (So far, I just started, I'm not too impressed.)

h
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

taylor

Currently I am reading Fitness RX mag because I  think it has the best articles that are backup with scientific research for a change.

I am also reading  "Three Weeks with my Brother" by Nicholas Sparks and by his brother too for that matter. It is a great book, they travel the world together and really expose the bond that they have. There father, mom and one sister all died a long time ago, and it goes into their processing of everything as they really do travel the world.

If I am going to read for the joy of reading and not because I am working on a research project I love to read outdoor adventures usually placed in Alaska or at least in cold weather. I love the Appalachian stories too.

Peace,
Taylor
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: HelenW on June 20, 2006, 09:48:56 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce

I've read that it is considered by some to be the "greatest English novel" but I am reserving judgement.  (So far, I just started, I'm not too impressed.)

h

I was told the same thing about The Great Gatsby.  I thought it was awful.

Chaunte
  •  

stacey

Not tg/ts related, but i'm reading Dean Koontz's, "Velocity".  Still reading, so I can't tell you about it yet...

•  

Chaunte

Just finished Extinction.  The author makes a good case for the massive basaltic flows that cover Siberia releasing enough harmful gases to almost do life in.

Next on my list is The Other Side of the Closet.  It is a collection of stories talking about how SO's have dealt wtih their spouses coming out as being gay, lesbian or bisexual.  I am assuming that the same sort of felings apply to the SO's of the transgendered community.  I'll post a review once I am finished.

Chaunte
  •  

tinkerbell

I have a new book at my bedsite now.

In Search of Captain Zero by Allan C. Weisbecker.  Haven't read much yet, just the first five pages....

tinkerbell
  •  

taylor

Hi Chaunte,

I absolutely loved the Great Gatspy lol.... I cannot even explain it...I think there is something about that culture that I liked. I try and tell my wife this on ocassion, how I love that book, and she looks at me like I am crazy lol...

Peace,

Taylor

PS Do you know who David Brower is? 

Posted at: June 27, 2006, 03:01:49 PM

To All,

A book with a different pace, and that is really enjoyable to read should you want to try something different and new....

Running With Scissors  it is just a must read!  ;D

Peace,

Taylor

PS I love these little faces in here, they just bring character inside these boxes lol
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: taylor on June 27, 2006, 03:04:32 PM
Hi Chaunte,

I absolutely loved the Great Gatspy lol.... I cannot even explain it...I think there is something about that culture that I liked. I try and tell my wife this on ocassion, how I love that book, and she looks at me like I am crazy lol...

Peace,

Taylor

PS Do you know who David Brower is? 

I will admit that I had no idea who David Brower was until I looked him up just now.  Impressive credentials.  Maybe its better that he passed away so he couldn't see what W has been doing to the environment.

Chaunte
  •