Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Enduring Love

Started by Shana A, June 16, 2008, 12:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Enduring Love
Filed by: Kate Kendell
June 16, 2008 11:00 AM

http://www.bilerico.com/2008/06/enduring_love.php

This morning, I woke up with such a full heart and an amazing sense of déjà vu. Today I am going to San Francisco City Hall, to the mayor's office, and will witness history. I will be surrounded by familiar faces, the faces of heroes. I will stand before two of the most extraordinary women in my life and watch them affirm their love and relationship. I will watch Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin exchange vows, and as I watch, I will have the full confidence that their marriage is as enduring as their love.

lyon_martin.jpgFour years ago, Phyllis and Del married in secret, with fewer than a dozen people in the room. When we all woke up the next morning, it was a different world. It felt unreal and magical, a dream that I had to close my eyes to remember. Today is different. Phyllis and Del had time--although not much--to print invitations and plan a reception. Family and friends could make travel arrangements and fly in for the ceremony. Today will be a day full of joy and celebration. I am so proud to pay witness to this moment in history and pay tribute to two of the founding mothers of our movement.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•