Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender Movie: "Transamerica" (2005)

Started by Feveth, June 22, 2005, 05:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannon

I bought this movie last week on DVD and I thought it was very well done.  I think there are so many varibles within the transgendered community that one movie can't possibly capture everything and please everyone.  Felicity Huffman did a wonderful job of portraying a TS woman.  I loved the character she played in the movie.  She was funny, vulnerable, strong and her heart was in the right place.

Shannon
  •  

taylor

Hi All,

I found the movie fine but like Shannon said, too many variables to really cover all of them. There were attempts at getting educational information out to the general public on several ocassions that I did notice. I like more movement and action in a movie and it failed there big time...it was slow paced, but I think it almost had to be, because of the focus on getting info out...talking can slow a movie down. The actress was damn good, gotta hand her that!

Peace,
Taylor
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: taylor on June 04, 2006, 09:07:36 PM
I like more movement and action in a movie and it failed there big time...it was slow paced, but I think it almost had to be, because of the focus on getting info out...talking can slow a movie down.

Men.  ::)

Melissa
  •  

Louise

This is a relationship movie.  If you want action, then I recommend "Thelma and Louise". >:D   It is interesting to see how, in "Transamerica",  Bree goes from denial that she is a father to accepting the role of mother.  That was an enlightening transition.
  •  

Annie Social

To me, the best thing about the movie was its presentation of a transsexual as a real person with flaws, eccentricities, and insecurities. It was a welcome change from the portrayals of TG people the public usually sees.

Yes, there were technical inaccuracies, but who cares? Almost all revolved around plot elements needed to drive the story. This was not intended to be a documentary!

One thing I want to address: there has been some criticism of the film for not using a TS actress to play the part. The real reason for this is simply the way Hollywood works. Though this was considered a very low-budget film, it still represents the investment of something probably in the neighborhood of $10 million. To raise that kind of capital, a producer has to be able to assure his investors of a reasonable return. For a film with few special effects, no explosions, and no violence to speak of, the only way to guarantee a that is to have a name actor in the film. On the basis of Desperate Housewives, Felicity Huffman is "bankable".

Even if the film could have gotten made with a TS in the role, it would not have had a significant budget for promotion and very few people would ever have heard of it, much less seen it. This seems a reasonable tradeoff to me, especially when viewed in the light of a wonderful performance.

Annie
  •  

jaded

•  

Melissa

It means men like fast moving action movies.  Not all men, but it seems the majority of them.

Melissa
  •  

Shannon

Quote from: Annie Social on June 05, 2006, 08:29:40 PM

One thing I want to address: there has been some criticism of the film for not using a TS actress to play the part. The real reason for this is simply the way Hollywood works. Though this was considered a very low-budget film, it still represents the investment of something probably in the neighborhood of $10 million. To raise that kind of capital, a producer has to be able to assure his investors of a reasonable return. For a film with few special effects, no explosions, and no violence to speak of, the only way to guarantee a that is to have a name actor in the film. On the basis of Desperate Housewives, Felicity Huffman is "bankable".

Even if the film could have gotten made with a TS in the role, it would not have had a significant budget for promotion and very few people would ever have heard of it, much less seen it. This seems a reasonable tradeoff to me, especially when viewed in the light of a wonderful performance.

Annie

They probably could have gotten actress Alexis Arquette to play the TS role instead since she is a real live transitioning TS.  She has appeared in other low budget films.  Alexis is related to actress Rosanna Arquette and actor/comedian David Arquette who is married to actress Courtney Cox.  Had the producers known this they likely could have promoted the film better with Alexis Arquette playing the role.  Like you said, they probably needed someone they could bank on so Felicity Huffman got the role instead. 

Shannon
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Shannon on June 11, 2006, 08:04:42 PM
  Like you said, they probably needed someone they could bank on so Felicity Huffman got the role instead. 

I think they probably wanted someone who could act.

Leigh
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Shannon on June 11, 2006, 08:04:42 PM
Like you said, they probably needed someone they could bank on so Felicity Huffman got the role instead. 

Being married to the executive producer (William H. Macy) probably didn't hurt either ;)
  •  

Annie Social

Quote from: Kate on June 13, 2006, 10:24:17 AM
Being married to the executive producer (William H. Macy) probably didn't hurt either ;)
I believe he became Executive Producer after she was offered the role...
  •  

Chaunte

The final exam is over.  My grades are in.  The kids are asleep and my SO is away.

I popped Transamerica into the DVD.  I watched the promos.  I listened to Dolly Parton's music video.  I pressed "Play" for the movie....

THe faces move, but not a single bit of sound!

I go back and I see and hear every other feature on the DVD, but not the movie itself!

Arrrrrgh!!!!!

:::: deep cleansing breath ::::

I'm okay.  A litle frustrated, but I'm okay...

Chaunte

Added 25 June:

I finally was able to tame the gremlins that prevented me from hearing the movie!

I enjoyed this SO much more than Normal!  Normal, which is an excellent movie, was far too serious for me.  I need the laughter to help look at myself in the mirror, which TransAmerica forced me to do.  I need the dramatic comedy to show that we are simply human.  We have all the same quirks and foibles as everyhone else, just the packaging is different.
  •  

Owen

I definitly want to see this movie. Just saw the trailer.

Love

owen

love being female
  •  

Jillieann Rose

It never came to any of the theaters in our town. But I found it at Block Buster so plan on renting it this next week. I really want to see it after what I have read.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Sharon S L

It didn't come to my cinema in Alice Springs, so I had to wait for the DVD, when It came out I bought it, and I enjoyed it, my sister borrowed it from me as she has been wanting to see it, and she enjoyed it too, now if only we can get our parents to see it, but I don't think they will as it really isn't their cup of tea, although Mum might.

•  

timberwolf

•  

Just Mandy

I know this is reviving a very old topic, but for people that are new here that have
not seen the movie I think it is worth mentioning.

I saw Transamerica for the first time this evening and it does have it's faults but
overall I think it portrays transsexuals in a good light and I fell in love with Bree (played
by Felicity Huffman). I think anyone that has not seen it should and they will be entertained
at the very least.

Amanda

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •  

Jaycie

Heh,  it is more than a little bit of a necropost.  Though i personally disagree with the prior assessment. The film is a bit of a travesty that only attempts to humanize slightly an already ridiculous stereotype. I've gone out of my way more than once to direct people away from this film because of that. 

The Transgeneration series was slightly better in terms of 'realism' but i still wasn't too impressed with their choices of mtf's.  :)
  •  

Just Mandy

QuoteThough i personally disagree with the prior assessment. The film is a bit of a travesty that only attempts to humanize slightly an already ridiculous stereotype. I've gone out of my way more than once to direct people away from this film because of that. 

The Transgeneration series was slightly better in terms of 'realism' but i still wasn't too impressed with their choices of mtf's.

Yes Bree was a little over the top, but that made you love her and it's MILES better than any portrayal
of transsexuals I've ever seen. Jeezz... it's just a movie with all the limitations and baggage that comes with that. No one
is ever going to make a movie about transsexuals that is true to life... no one would want to see it. Bree is funny because
she is a little over the top. It's not meant to be a training manual for transsexuals, it's meant to entertain the general public. And
this is SO much better than others I've seen where we are depicted as unpassable losers.

Amanda

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •