Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

When did you know you were Trans?

Started by fae_reborn, August 21, 2008, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneakersjay

Quote from: luna on September 23, 2008, 03:49:01 PM

So, while I've known my entire life that I'm a girl... at least in my head... I only found out a few years ago that there's a name for it and that there are other people like me.

Substitute boy and you have me as well, only I just made this discovery a few months ago.  I do find it very interesting that many of our stories are so similar!

Jay

•  

Nero

Quote from: sneakersjay on September 23, 2008, 04:34:58 PM
Quote from: luna on September 23, 2008, 03:49:01 PM

So, while I've known my entire life that I'm a girl... at least in my head... I only found out a few years ago that there's a name for it and that there are other people like me.

Substitute boy and you have me as well, only I just made this discovery a few months ago.  I do find it very interesting that many of our stories are so similar!

Jay

I'll third that. Even after I knew about ftms, still took me years to admit to myself I was one.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Just Mandy

QuoteI'll third that. Even after I knew about ftms, still took me years to admit to myself I was one.

As you ALL know that have admitted you're trans... denial is a powerful thing :)

Amanda

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •  

NicholeW.

Yep, some people do it even after transition. :laugh:
  •  

KylieLuv

That moment is right now and I can't stop crying. My story is just like all the others. Know all along. Beat out of me. Showed what boys who dress like girls have to do to please there men by my father. Repression, repression, repression, confusion, confusion, confusion. Why does the song Lola touch me at my soul. Why did the crossdressing part in Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex scare me?  Why did the Debbie Reynolds movie about a playboy being killed by his girlfriend and come back as a woman excite me and want that to happen to me? Why when a boy in my neighbor started to grow breast did I pray and wish it was me? And on and on. Why did I never fit with the boys and liked to be with the girls more? Denial, denial, denail. Not a boy or man in a dress. A girl!!!!!!!!!! Alcohol, drugs, crossdressing, marraiges, children. Depression, depression, depression. Meds, gender therapy. Denial, denial, denial.

I can't do this. I can't traumatise my young children like my father did to me. If I did he would win............BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'll just try to medicate myself until my children are grown and then see what my options are.

Thank you and love to you all for being here and allowing me to live somewhat vicariously through your development and happiness.

I have to pull myself together and go home now.
  •  

Just Mandy

QuoteYep, some people do it even after transition.
LOL... yep some do  ;)

Amanda

Posted on: September 23, 2008, 05:12:42 PM
QuoteThat moment is right now and I can't stop crying. My story is just like all the others....
So I'll just try to medicate myself until my children are grown and then see what my options are.

Kylie dear, "medication" is not going to help.... please talk to us... there are many girls here that
can help you work through this... like "medication" won't.

Amanda

•  

NicholeW.

Kylie, luv, "medication" does seem like it helps. It drowns things for a bit and then wears off and over time you need more and more "medication" to keep the demons away and then. Well, and then you just have the demons anyhow and a new demon to also try and exorcise.

Mandi's absolutely spot-on about that.

I've spent the last 15 years of my life doing therapy with addicts and trauma-victims, luv. It's a shame that the "medication" doesn't wipe away the slate forever, isn't a permanent fix of the problem. But, it isn't.

Find another way for your own sake, please?

Nikki

•  

KylieLuv

Thank you Amanda for those sweet words of support. I'll be back later. I have to go home now as my wife will be worried because I have really been struggling lately and it has scared us all. She knows about all my history and issues. But believes my GID is because of my neglected and abusive childhood.

Bye sweetie
  •  

luna

Quote from: KylieLuv on September 23, 2008, 05:12:18 PM
I can't do this. I can't traumatise my young children like my father did to me. If I did he would win............BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!

How young?

My daughter is 8 and I have custody. It's hard to traumatize your children by being yourself -- you can, however, hurt them by showing them that it isn't okay to be yourself, or that you're being different is a bad thing. Granted there are good, sensitive times to handle these situations... and bad, horrible times to handle them.

But anyway... and if they know you're different and hiding it and if they're different in some way, they'll think it's a bad thing and hide it too. Children tend to mimic their parents! I know... I know I'm far from perfect as a parent. Very far! But my daughter knows she can come to me with anything and I won't ever judge her. Plus she knows she can go to any of her grandparents for anything, too, so she's not limited to having a weirdo mama-papa for her emotional needs (which are considerable).

I take care of my daughter first and myself second. Needless to say this has almost halted my transition, but she knows who I am.  She always has, cause I've been the only one consistently there for her, and as a result we know each other very well. So she knows, and she doesn't care. She calls me mom, she calls me papa. It's no big thing. And it won't be unless I make it a big thing.

Just some food for thought, I guess. I sincerely believe children are a reason FOR transition, not a reason NOT to. Of course their needs should definitely come first (and I think this is where some screw up...) but when they get to a certain age they also need to know that you don't exist solely for them, and that you have things you have to do for yourself, too.

•  

NicholeW.

Welcome to Susan's, Luna,

It's nice to have you among us. What a great view of the matter! Excellent post!!

You might also wanna go to "Introductions" and write a brief bio, whatever, so we can get an idea about where you're coming from and so people don't have to realize you're new and here by just running across a post like I just did. :laugh:

Very nice writing and thinking.

Nikki
  •  

sneakersjay

Quote from: luna on September 23, 2008, 06:18:26 PM
Quote from: KylieLuv on September 23, 2008, 05:12:18 PM

How young?

My daughter is 8 and I have custody. It's hard to traumatize your children by being yourself -- you can, however, hurt them by showing them that it isn't okay to be yourself, or that you're being different is a bad thing. Granted there are good, sensitive times to handle these situations... and bad, horrible times to handle them.

I agree.  I've always raised my kids to be true to themselves and to follow their hearts and intuition and not the crowd; what kind of example would I be setting if I wasn't true to my own self?  Many parents transition and have healthy, whole children.  But many parents transition and lose their family due to vindictive, ignorant spouses/ex-spouses.

Lots of support and info here for you.

Jay

•  

KylieLuv

I have an 11 year old daughter, 10 year old son and 24 year old daughter from another marraige. I agree, my children will probably love me no matter what as they know they have always been the most important thing in my life. But I fear all the ugly things they will experience by their peers, neighbors etc. So my maternal instincts won't let me accept that something I would do for me would hurt them in any way.

My wife is very strong and has a PhD in psychology but did psychological testing and not therapy. Her maternal instincts are also to protect her children at any cost. So there is no way I can invision a smooth transition much less having any contact with my beautiful children. So I can only see me going away for some explained reason (nervous breakdown, hospital, another relationship etc.)

I'm to old, to tall, to masculine and to caring. But I can't go on like this much more.
  •  

Annwyn

Quote from: Nichole on September 23, 2008, 05:20:23 PM
Kylie, luv, "medication" does seem like it helps. It drowns things for a bit and then wears off and over time you need more and more "medication" to keep the demons away and then. Well, and then you just have the demons anyhow and a new demon to also try and exorcise.

Mandi's absolutely spot-on about that.

I've spent the last 15 years of my life doing therapy with addicts and trauma-victims, luv. It's a shame that the "medication" doesn't wipe away the slate forever, isn't a permanent fix of the problem. But, it isn't.

Find another way for your own sake, please?

Nikki

Valium+Vodka===fix all.  yup, it's like duct tape, but for your life.

lulz

serious.
  •  

luna

No amount of parenting can protect your children from the ugliness of their peers or the world in general. Running away doesn't fix anything, it just leaves your kids without one of their parents.

It is... difficult... to invision a smooth transition. I agree completely. All change is always work. I would imagine shutting yourself out of your kids' lives would hurt them more than finding out you're a little different. In some way, shape, or form, they'll be dealing with crap from their peers. That's part of life. You can show them, by being yourself, that YOU can deal with those very same issues. You can show them, by being yourself, that they can too.

Sheltering kids from life isn't protecting them. It's harmful, cause they can't learn how to deal with things if they don't ever have to.

Edit for addition: Also, remember that most kids are always embarassed by their parents. It's like a rule of nature.

•  

Just Mandy

QuoteSo my maternal instincts won't let me accept that something I would do for me would hurt them in any way.

Yes and so many of us would agree... but at some point all of us have to do for US... there is no other
way to survive. I was the same way... I can't do this because of who I'm going to hurt... but that's not
living and the end result is that it is not fair to anyone. Don't be afraid to put yourself first for a change.

And.... you are never too old, masculine or too tall... just ask around here... lots of girls over 6 ft, lots in
their 60's and 70's... and we ALL think we are too masculine. Good luck.

Amanda

•  

sneakersjay

My kids have been totally accepting and just gave me high-fives when I told them people on my trip called me Sir.  All they want is for me to be happy; and they're glad they have 2 parents (we're divorced > 3 yrs) that love them and want them.  Oprah recently did a show "When Dad becomes a woman" which I thought was very well done; the two families profiled stayed together during and after transition.

Jay

•  

Nicky

I don't know if I can answer this. I have always felt out of place, different and at odds with the world. Even into my late teens I thought everyone felt the same as me, acted out of fear of breaking societies rules. Slowly I started to realise that I really did not understand how to be a male or female, I still don't get it. I have identified as androgyne for about 6 or 7 years.

•  

Hypatia

The argument that transitioning will be harmful to your kids is bogus. It's more harmful to repress who you are. It's extremely damaging to not only us but our loved ones. We don't do them any favors by repressing. They only see the outside, they can't see what you're going through inside, so they are not in a position to judge us when we take responsibility for our own health and well-being. Taking care of your own health is essential if you're to be any good for your family. Destroying yourself will not help them. They don't understand how destructive it is for us to repress our true gender. It's like the oxygen masks on airplanes. Parents have to be instructed to put their own on first, then the children's.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

deviousxen

Quote from: Hypatia on September 23, 2008, 11:25:49 PM
The argument that transitioning will be harmful to your kids is bogus. It's more harmful to repress who you are. It's extremely damaging to not only us but our loved ones. We don't do them any favors by repressing. They only see the outside, they can't see what you're going through inside, so they are not in a position to judge us when we take responsibility for our own health and well-being. Taking care of your own health is essential if you're to be any good for your family. Destroying yourself will not help them. They don't understand how destructive it is for us to repress our true gender. It's like the oxygen masks on airplanes. Parents have to be instructed to put their own on first, then the children's.

Yus!
  •  

Wing Walker

Quote from: Hypatia on September 23, 2008, 11:25:49 PM

Quote from: KylieLuv on September 23, 2008, 08:33:56 PM
I have an 11 year old daughter, 10 year old son and 24 year old daughter from another marraige. I agree, my children will probably love me no matter what as they know they have always been the most important thing in my life. But I fear all the ugly things they will experience by their peers, neighbors etc. So my maternal instincts won't let me accept that something I would do for me would hurt them in any way.

My wife is very strong and has a PhD in psychology but did psychological testing and not therapy. Her maternal instincts are also to protect her children at any cost. So there is no way I can invision a smooth transition much less having any contact with my beautiful children. So I can only see me going away for some explained reason (nervous breakdown, hospital, another relationship etc.)

I'm to old, to tall, to masculine and to caring. But I can't go on like this much more.

Hi, Kylie,

It seems to me that you have a clear understanding of your present condition, your past, and how you got there.  You surely are not alone.  Many of us, if not most, have a similar history.

Please avoid the vodka and Valium cocktail as it won't do any good.  I am a recovering alcoholic, sober since September 6, 2002 and it didn't do anything for me aside from land me in the detox unit.

When I was five years old I began to feel that there was a mismatch between my clothing, toys, games boys played, and me.  When I was nine years old I knew exactly what my problem was.  I was a girl in a boy's body.

Back then, in 1960, the word "transsexual" was not in anyone's lexicon, not even the medical establishment.  There was no such thing as gender therapy and in my little town had I started to act as girly as my inner self was I would have been taken for x-rays on my head or maybe for an exorcism.

Too old to transition?  I was 51 when I started.  It took a mere 46 years for me to do what was imperative, to be me, the same inside and outside.  I came out in the transgender chat room here at Susan's.  I had the floor for two and a half hours while I opened up to myself and anyone else who gave a hoot.

Too tall?  I'm 5'11.5" tall and I am not petite, not even slender.  There are taller women who have transitioned and some visit here from time to time.

It is, IMHO, impossible to live comfortably with Gender Identity Dysphoria.  Either it gets buried and causes constant discomfort within or it takes over and forces one to action.  When you choose transition you will have a rough road to travel, but many of us have done it before you and will be here to help, advise, or listen, as needed.

You can change your haircut, change the color, the way you dress, the car you drive, your place of worship, your political leanings, your favorite beer, sport, whatever, and no one will bother you, but change your gender and suddenly everyone has a stake in your future!  Where in the hell were they when you needed them?  Suddenly everyone wears judge's robes and you're what they're judging.

If it's any help, I survived it.  I learned how to give lots of "one-finger salutes," and my shell grew very thick and hard.  It was my turn to be me.

I was married three times for a total of 26 years.  I did that because back then I had to buy into the lie that I was all-male.  There was no alternative available to me.  I had no children, however, I believe Hypatia's comments to be worth consideration.  I have seen situations similar to yours and hers before.  Even if you had no children to deal with, only your wife, it would still be a rocky road until you left home and lived your life as you need to live it.  My second ex told me that I could transition when she retired.  She told me that at least she wouldn't have to show her face outside.  Then she extended it to after she died.  That, Kylie, was the absolute end.  I moved out under police supervision and I never looked back.

So here I am, a whole woman on her way to being complete.  I had to choose between living my life for myself (yes, there is a selfish element to every choice like this) or living it for others, in misery.  I chose to live for me.

Please contact me by PM if you wish.  I promise that if I cannot help you or share your anxiety and pain, I will say so and not waste your time.  Many here and elsewhere have contributed to my life and I am bound to share it with others who might need some help.

Remember, no vodka with Valium.

Wing Walker
Never Looked Back
  •