Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Whipping Girl

Started by Stephanie, October 16, 2008, 12:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephanie

Hi everyone  :)

Somebody may well have posted about this before, but I just loved reading Julia Serrano's book Whipping Girl!
I bought her book only a couple of weeks ago and I am now reading it for the fourth time.  Serrano's book really struck a chord with me.  I agree with everything she says.
I completely agree with her view that society finds femininity in biological males almost intolerable. 

Stephanie

•  

Elwood

Thanks for posting your view on the book. I've been wanting to read it for quite some time. :P
  •  

Windrider

Dani got the book from the library and she says it's very good. Struck some chords with her as well. She's actually going to buy a copy (and then I can read it too!) Considering the only other books Dani buys are technical manuals, and she rarely reads for pleasure, this is a pretty good endorsement :)

If anyone's curious on an SO's take, I'll post a review once I've read the book.

WR
  •  

HelenW

I've read Whipping Girl more than once too and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Julia Serano's intelligence and superior insight makes me envious!

If anyone would like to write a review of the book in the Wiki, you can.  While we would prefer that you join the Wiki staff or at least open a Wiki account, it isn't a requirement - anyone can edit our Wiki if they feel like it.

There's already a stub (a short blurb) in the Wiki about the book and about Julia Serano, both of which are in dire need of expansion.  You can find them using the search function.  If you want to try editing it, and want some help, ask one of the Wiki staff.

hugs & smiles
Emelye
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

flutter

I just finished this book last week. After a friend linked me to her website, and specifically the "Sleeping Sickness" video - I knew I had to read her book.

She's insightful, determined, and is giving voice to a real problem, the very real exclusion of trans women from Feminist and Queer spaces.

She fairly attacks both Gender as Social Construct, and Gender as Biology, and points out the flaws in both, while leading you down the path that there's a piece of truth to both theories.

She also clearly defines the issues facing todays Trans community, and how our battle should tie in with Feminists and Genderqueers, but why it doesn't.

I think if every Feminist who's ever advocated a "Womyn born Womyn" policy, or every Genderqueer who dismissed a Trans Woman for not being radical enough in her gender presentation, or every Misogynist in this country stopped and took the couple of hours to read this book, they'd at least have some insight into why their comments are painful, and what effect their actions have in upholding the binary.
  •