Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is "drag queen" rude?

Started by Constance, October 26, 2008, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally Stone

I agree that it really depends on whom you are addressing.  I'm sure many girls wouldn't be fond of the title because it generally refers to someone who is performing "drag."  I wrote an article for a transgender magazine several years ago called "A Case for Drag" and in it I explored the deeper meaning of the term.  Doing drag or being a drag queen is a lot more complicated than an external caricature might otherwise indicate.  Personally, I tend to identify with the term drag because in a sense, I am performing when I'm dressed as a woman.  Of course it's not an over-the-top performance, but it is a performance just the same.  Drag happens to be  just one of many of other transgender characteristics I possess, and it helps to make me the girl I am.  It also goes to show that it can sometimes be very difficult to categorize a transgender individual using only one term.  I guess the best way to describe me is to call me a crossdresser because most of the time that is the way I feel.  Be careful; however, because some days I feel like I have a little more transgenderist in me.  Other days I'm more of a drag queen.  The fact that I can't make up my mind doesn't take away from my overall TG experience.  If anything, it makes it more interesting.

Sally
  •