Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Should I come out to my family?

Started by ElpisXenon, November 03, 2008, 09:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElpisXenon

I've decided that it's time to tell my parents about me but I need to find a way to see how they will react to me. If they take things badly I will get kicked out and have nowhere to go. I really need to know if telling them is such a good idea. If any one has any advice on how I sould deal with this that would be great.

~Sofia~
  •  

tekla

Like a lot of things, from a distance.  If you are still at home, it might cause problems, as many here will attest.  Once you are out on your own, there is a lot less that can happen.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Sephirah

It might help to find out what their general views about transgendered people are beforehand, and then you'll have some idea of how they would react if you told them.

Of course it's one thing to have a certain view when it relates to the outside world but, for good or ill, that doesn't always carry over if it's your own child. So it's not infallible, and you shouldn't assume the fact that if they're accepting and seem supportive of transgendered individuals, they would automatically transfer that acceptance to you if you tell them... but it would be an indicator.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

ElpisXenon

I worried I wont be able to come out to them at all becasue they seem to be hostle to gay and transgender people. I cant tell for sure because I'm not sure how to even bring up the topic with them. If I ask any questions about how they feel my mom well be able to tell. telling them might not be a good idea but I've kept it to my self for about 7 years so far I can't keep it to my self any more but I don't want to get kiced out.
  •