Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

format:/C and how does it affect my registration status?

Started by Linda, December 11, 2008, 02:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda

I hope this is the correct forum for this,,,

Any geeks out there?  ;)

I'm about to re-format my HD. This is the first web site I have ever registered with and have been active in, and my questions are,

After the formatting, will I be recognized as a subscriber to this site after, will I have to re-register?

I know a bit about cump stuff, but this is new to me, forums and all.

Any suggestions or recommendations before I fry the HD?

Thanks, in advance.
  •  

Sephirah

Your registration won't change, you'll still be a member here. :) The member details are stored in the database here, not on your individual computer.

That also means you can log in from any computer anywhere with a net connection. :)
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

sarahkinnetz1984

When you format, you'll still be fine, in computers, you have server side and client side actions.  The server holds the web page and the client views.  The server stores all information regarding you and posts, etc... it will not be lost because it is run on a computer that you connect to through your browser... the website then sends cookies to your computer which are stored so that you can log in again and be remembered.  All you will have to do is to log in on any computer and that information is stored... if lost, just log in again...
  •  

Sandy

Yeah, a lot of us are geeks.

Anyway, yes, formatting your HD will wipe out the cookies you have in your browser but, of course, will not affect the data in the web server at Susans.

You will have to log in again when you get everything back up and running, but after that you'll be fine.

BTW: Why are you wanting to reformat?  Usually there is a pretty serious reason, like hardware failure or virus infestation.  Just curious.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Linus

As a side note, you may have to relogin. I have found that some sites tie location (IP address range) with login. Shouldn't have to worry about anything else. I do agree with Sandy, however. Why the re-format?
My Personal Blog: http://www.syrlinus.com
My Cigar Blog: http://www.cigarnewbie.com
  •  

Linda

Quote from: Sandy on March 16, 2009, 08:34:11 AM

BTW: Why are you wanting to reformat?  Usually there is a pretty serious reason, like hardware failure or virus infestation.  Just curious.

-Sandy
Thanks for the replies everybody.  The reformat was done some time ago, (date stamp on original post = Dec. 11 2008), but I really do appreciate your responses.

Why format, ask you? It was running slow, I thought maybe a compromise had occured, but mostly for fun and the skills/experience, brain excercise.  I have a laptop (wireless LAN @ my gf's) on which I do most of my work and simply wanted to format a 7 year  old desktop (@ my place). Learning, it's just, fun. Like creating HTML, my latest study/hobby, though I should spend more time looking for full-time employment, or get back in school.
Thanks again,
xo
Linda

ps. I'm a bit of a cump-geek, too, I just was not familiar with forums and blog-o-sphere details.
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Linda on March 16, 2009, 09:05:13 AM
Why format, ask you? It was running slow, I thought maybe a compromise had occured, but mostly for fun and the skills/experience, brain excercise.

Always a good thing!  Best of luck on the reformat.

If you want to really expand your brain, speed up your laptop, and have a load of fun, switch to Linux instead of just putting Micro$oft back on.

There are a bunch of distros to choose from.  And a world of desktops to try and for the most part it is all FREE!

Don't be afraid to ask if you run into any problems!

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

sarahkinnetz1984

Totally agreed Sandy... Microslow is a easy to use but highly inefficient OS... When I first used Linux, I installed it using a package called Wubi, which allowed me to use the linux distribution without changing anything on my hard drive... it'll set itself up and can be taken off like an application with uninstall but can also get a great feel of linux with the very good Ubuntu distribution...

I was very happy with Linux, have sworn off MS Windows (largely because I do a lot of programming and it's just much easier on Linux) and am on to harder to set up OSes...
  •