Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What's your favorite book and why?

Started by Reese, January 01, 2009, 08:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Quote from: Pica Pica on January 13, 2009, 04:41:12 PM
My favourite book is The Princess Bride by William Goldman, it balances over the top romanticism and harsh cynicism to lovely effect.

Special mention to Cyrano de Bererac by Edmond Rostand, who swept me off my feet with humour and panache and the grounded humanism of Kurt Vonnegut, especially in Timequake, Bluebeard and Slaughterhouse Five.

Michel de Montaigne's Essays and Samuel Pepys' Diaries win the non fiction awards, for both being witty, funny, tragic and human.

* raises eyebrow* Which part of Cyrano did you find humorous?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Pica Pica

Most of the fights, when cyrano is waiting for roxanne at raganneus',the bit when he delays de-guiche and confuses the priest into performing the marriage ceremony, when roxanne turns up at the camp with food...It's often a bitter angry humour, a defiant humour...but cyrano is a defiant person...right to the end, and that bit always makes me cry.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Pica Pica on January 13, 2009, 04:57:24 PM
Most of the fights, when cyrano is waiting for roxanne at raganneus',the bit when he delays de-guiche and confuses the priest into performing the marriage ceremony, when roxanne turns up at the camp with food...It's often a bitter angry humour, a defiant humour...but cyrano is a defiant person...right to the end, and that bit always makes me cry.

okay. have to agree on de guiche's delayment. that was pretty funny.
as for the crying at the end, i do too. but not for the same reason. i cry because he didn't fight for roxanne. he just let her go. it's totally contradictory to his nature (and yet of course there wouldn't be a story if he did fight for her).
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Pica Pica

he didn't fight for her because  she was the only thing he really wanted, that paralysed him.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Pica Pica on January 13, 2009, 05:16:35 PM
he didn't fight for her because  she was the only thing he really wanted, that paralysed him.

doesn't make sense. and once he knew he had won her, and she loved him and not nevalette (sic) and nevalette died, he should've told the truth.
  •  

Linda

Quote from: tekla on January 01, 2009, 08:55:48 PM
I'd much rather have it read to me then watch it.
awww, thats a sweet thought.

I've recently started re-reading "The Annotated Alice', which was given to me about 15 years back. This is my third reading, and I wish someone would read it to me. :)

My faves, Carlos Castanada, Tolkien, and anything referential. I find that novels are hard to keep reading, where referential texts are easy to pick up/read something/gain something/put down/repeat.

To answer the question directly, I think one of the best novels I've read was "The Man in the Tree", kinda a spirit like the healer in "The Green Mile', but diffierent.
  •  

Janet_Girl

The Vampire Series by Anne Rice.  I love the characters involved.
The Necromancer by Brian Lumly.

Yes i like Gothic like off stories.

Janet

•  

TamTam

My favorite author is Terry Pratchett, but if I had to choose a favorite book, it'd probably be The Giver, by Lois Lowry.  I know she's considered a children/young adult author, in that her language is pretty simple.. but the themes and the way they're expressed are heavy.  It's the sequel/companion to Gathering Blue, which I've also read and is also very good.

It describes another world, one where everyone's lives are planned out for them in childhood, and there's no real choice or deviation.  They can't even perceive color anymore, because color would give people more choice.  "The Giver" is the one person in the village who has memories of another time, a time where there was love and color and choice, and it's a highly respected and important role in the community.  Then a young boy is chosen to be the next Giver, and receives small snippets of memory in sessions with the Giver, but.. problems develop, and a dangerous plan is hatched.  Excellent book!  The kind that makes me really think every time I read it.  Lowry's a really good author.

I also love The Chosen, The Tao of Pooh, The Woman in the Wall, aaaand yep just about anything by Pratchett, lol.  I think I've read The Hogfather about five times.
  •  

Linda

Posted on: Today at 06:37:06 pmPosted by: TamTam
The Tao of Pooh,

But of course,,, AA Milne, and his students.
  •  

Nero

Some of my fave fiction books are Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (talk about humour >:-)), The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (I'm half Frollo, half Quasi), and Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery (childhood favorite).
  •  

Pica Pica

Quote from: Nero on January 13, 2009, 05:22:41 PM

doesn't make sense. and once he knew he had won her, and she loved him and not nevalette (sic) and nevalette died, he should've told the truth.

he  thought he could protect her from the confusion and feeling of betrayal.
  •  

Linda

Now I'm going through my library, and I found Kafka's Metamorphosis. Time to read that again,,,
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Pica Pica on January 13, 2009, 05:43:31 PM
Quote from: Nero on January 13, 2009, 05:22:41 PM

he  thought he could protect her from the confusion and feeling of betrayal.

it would've been better to let her know she didn't have to grieve for her love; he was right there.

but other than that, how could he be all that he was and have so little self-love?
  •  

Pica Pica

cos all the stuff he did and was, was a result of being ugly. 'Instead of spurs, I let the truth clash out' etc..etc.. And he never compromised, so it was roxanne's love or no-ones. I can't see what he saw in her particularly.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Pica Pica on January 13, 2009, 05:49:53 PM
cos all the stuff he did and was, was a result of being ugly. 'Instead of spurs, I let the truth clash out' etc..etc.. And he never compromised, so it was roxanne's love or no-ones. I can't see what he saw in her particularly.

well, that's actually something i can see. he spent all his life being abused and laughed at by women and she had been nice to him when they were kids. other than my mom (who is an angel), i've spent a lifetime being abused by girls, so if one girl said a kind word to me, i'd follow her around like a puppy dog.
  •  

TamTam

Anne of Green Gables!  Loved that book.  I read the whole series while my mom was in the hospital, it was part of what kept me sane.  The latter books are less fun, though.. Anne was better as a spunky kid and spunky teen, not a mom.
  •  

Pica Pica

•  

Nero

•  

Nero

oh i can't believe i forgot this - my favorite author of all time is Scott O' Dell.
There's really nothing more beautiful than Island of the Blue Dolphins or the King's Fitfh.
  •  

tekla

I just finished Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean today, it was an awesome book, both in the characters, but also in what you will learn about Western American wildfires.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •