Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What's your favorite book and why?

Started by Reese, January 01, 2009, 08:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reese

From what I've observed, I feel like the book forum doesn't get enough lovin', so let's have a broad topic. I apologize if a thread like this already exists, as it seems to me it would. But I digress:

What's your favorite book, and why is it your favorite?

Hard question, I know.

My favorite is Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. It showed me a sad perspective on love, one that I'd never thought of before; and I can't help but relate a little bit to how to main character tries to strengthen herself by being more male: "My aim was to build more and more that strength... by learning, fighting, and laboring, to drive all the woman out of me."

Also, Hemingway. I have to love his books, because he was my kind of man. Boxing, fishing, bull fighting? Nothing better, haha.   ;)

And you?
  •  

tekla

I have several favorites...

Little Women, by Louise May Alcott

Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Caroll

The Physics Lectures
, (one and two, and three - also gathered as The Feynman Lectures on Physics) Richard Phillips Feynman

Cosmic Canticle, Ernesto Cardenal
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Reese

Quote from: tekla on January 01, 2009, 08:46:10 PMAlice in Wonderland, Lewis Caroll

Have you heard about the upcoming Tim Burton adaption: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/. I'm a big fan of Alice of Wonderland as well (I collect movies). I hope Burton'll do a well job, but I've never liked his films, so it's hard to trust.

Bah! See me, talking about movies in my own book thread...
  •  

tekla

I'd much rather have it read to me then watch it.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Jamie-o

Most of Neil Gaiman's books.  Especially Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett), American Gods, and Neverwhere
So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Douglas Adams
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfus
The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper

Yeah, I'm an unabashed fantasy Geek.  ;D
  •  

mina.magpie

Ooooh ... just one?!

Probably the book that has most influenced me was "Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation". It's a collection of essays, interviews and the like about reality and freedom and our relationship to those concepts by various people ranging from Aleister Crowley, Austin Spare and William Burroughs through to Peter Caroll and Timothy Leary. The essays on ethics and morality and on how language limits our thoughts literally changed my life.

"We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism" is another anthology of pieces about anarchism, anti-globalisation, parecon and other concepts striving for a fairer, more equitable world. Along with that documentary "The Corporation", this very much shaped my political and economic beliefs.

Sorry. These at least also deserve honourable mentions:

Lyall Watson - "Supernature" and "Beyond Supernature"
Carl Yung - Pretty-much all his work, but especially his biography "Memories, Dreams and Reflections"
Brian Greene - "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos".

Mina.

•  

Selene

I don't really have a favorite book per se, and haven't had a chance to read much but College assigned stuff.

In high school I read a lot of Lyall Watson's books, and before that Lois Lowry's books had my interest.
  •  

Reese

Quote from: Jamie-o on January 02, 2009, 05:04:44 AMMost of Neil Gaiman's books.

I agree Jamie, about Neil Gaiman: American Gods is a masterpiece. Weirdly, I didn't like it when I was reading it, but afterward it dawned upon me how amazing it was. Have you ever read The Sandman? Or Anansi Boys? Anansi Boys is perhaps the only Gaiman, aside from a great many of his short stories, that I don't like.
  •  

tinkerbell

My favorite book? OMG that is sooo difficult to answer, for I have so many that I love.  But one of them is You can't go home again by Thomas Wolfe simply because it is one of the saddest and truest books I have ever read.  I think that most people who have transsexed and disappeared into society after transition can certainly identify with it.

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Yochanan

Lots of different books for lots of different reasons.

Alanna by Tamora Pierce. It was my first fantasy book and the first time I was exposed to the concept of crossdressing, even if the girl in question wasn't really trans, just pretending to be male.

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. Not much to say, it's just an absolutely touching story about a guy trying to bring himself and his family up in the world. I definitely identify with him...

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The story of a boy searching for his purpose-I could idenitfy with it in 7th grade when I first read it, and still can.

Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block. Set pretty much in my neighborhood, it opened my eyes--I never saw the city as anything but a place where I lived before I read DA.

Those are the main ones.
  •  

Jemma

My favorite book is 'Where the red fern grows'- Wilson Rawls.  It made an impression on me when my teacher who was reading in class, starting crying.
  •  

Vexing

'Master of Whitestorm', Janny Wurtz.
A singularly epic fantasy tale of legendary proportions. It has everything that a fantasy masterpiece needs.
  •  

whatsername

I think it's still Pride and Prejudice, that's one of the few books I've read more than once, and one of only a couple I've read multiple times. 
  •  

glendagladwitch

Unlike movies and other media, I think some novels actually have the ability to change your life.  Turn you into a different person.  Now, I have a degree in literature, and I have read 20-30 novels per month at times.

Out of all the books I've read so far, there are three books that stand out as having had a significant impact on the way that I perceive and process information.  One of those was Ralph Waldo Ellison's "Invisible Man."  Another was Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha."  The third was a bit of a surprise.  It's a science fiction novel by Elizabeth Moon entitled "Speed of Dark."

Some that deserve honorable mention are anthing by Philip K. Dick, and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World."

Out of all these books, "Speed of Dark" is perhaps least known, so I am promoting it.
  •  

Jamie-o

Quote from: Reese on January 02, 2009, 02:03:53 PM
Quote from: Jamie-o on January 02, 2009, 05:04:44 AMMost of Neil Gaiman's books.

I agree Jamie, about Neil Gaiman: American Gods is a masterpiece. Weirdly, I didn't like it when I was reading it, but afterward it dawned upon me how amazing it was. Have you ever read The Sandman? Or Anansi Boys? Anansi Boys is perhaps the only Gaiman, aside from a great many of his short stories, that I don't like.

I liked Anansie Boys (and I have a personalized, signed copy of it.  Ahem. *polishes fingernails on shirt, and looks oh-so smug*  ;)) but I agree, it wasn't his best.  I don't have much patience for all the pictures in graphic novels (I'd rather create my own mental images) so I haven't actually read any of the Sandman books.  I like Gaiman enough, though, that I'll probably check them out eventually.

On the favorite books front, I'd have to throw in Clive Barker's Abarat series, as well.  Clive Barker has an amazing, visual style of writing that I just love.  He can make the most horrible things sound beautiful.  Unfortunately, I often don't like what he writes.
  •  

Luc

I have too many favorites to list... well, actually, I'll try. What the heck.

Demian by Hermann Hesse-- Amazing story, and while I didn't like Siddhartha, this book is just incredible.

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick-- One of the trippiest, funniest, darkest looks at life I've ever read. In a word, brilliant. Sadly, though, it makes Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep seem like a children's book.

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury-- An essential book for writers and, in fact, anyone traversing the wide road of life. Even has some of his little-known poetry in the back.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens-- An oldie but a goodie. My mom first read this book to me when I was far too young to understand its implications (I was somewhere between 5 and 7). I have read it probably 6 times since, and every time I read it, it both brings back memories and brings new revelations about the story and my life.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac-- This is kind of clicheed, but oh well... I also love The Dharma Bums and Big Sur. On the Road, however, launched my love of travel to new heights.

The Drifters by James Michener-- Echo the love of travel. Throw in an obsession with the 60s.

The Minds of Billy Milligan by Daniel Keyes-- Incredible true story of a man with 24 distinct personalities, beautifully crafted by the author of Flowers for Algernon.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis-- While I must admit I prefer the film version, the book is written in a haphazard, quasi-poetic prose that adds even more insanity to its titular character.

There are plenty more... but who wants to read about me? Ah, whatever...

SD
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

VeryGnawty

This one's easy for me, because not many books can make me laugh and cry at the same time.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers

Simply put, this books needs to be read.  Eggers speaks of the struggle of all of us, to find a life worth living.  Through all his foolishness, he still manages to discover something that most people don't:  that life is about more than just getting your next paycheck.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Valentina

I'm a great fan of books and do not have a favourite book as I have read thousands of books and authors. My favourite authors include Issac Asimov, Sidney Sheldon, Anne Rice, Robert Heinlein, Tom Clancy, William Shakespeare, Jean Auel, Stephen King, Jacqueline Susann, J.R.R. Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey to name a few.

These people have, to me, captured my fevered imagination, taken me to worlds far beyond my own, and opened my mind to new and exciting possibilities and perchance, even to dream!
  •  

Nero

Quote from: tekla on January 01, 2009, 08:46:10 PM
I have several favorites...

Little Women, by Louise May Alcott

Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Caroll

The Physics Lectures
, (one and two, and three - also gathered as The Feynman Lectures on Physics) Richard Phillips Feynman

Cosmic Canticle, Ernesto Cardenal

oh love little women! my mom got me on that one when i was little.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Pica Pica

My favourite book is The Princess Bride by William Goldman, it balances over the top romanticism and harsh cynicism to lovely effect.

Special mention to Cyrano de Bererac by Edmond Rostand, who swept me off my feet with humour and panache and the grounded humanism of Kurt Vonnegut, especially in Timequake, Bluebeard and Slaughterhouse Five.

Michel de Montaigne's Essays and Samuel Pepys' Diaries win the non fiction awards, for both being witty, funny, tragic and human.

'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •