Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Am I Too Old For HRT?

Started by Suziech, January 18, 2009, 01:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suziech

Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to ask this important question.  I'm a 50 year old transgender person and want to know if I am too old to start hormone therapy.  I've read that the older you are the less chance you will benefit from the hormones.  Is there anyone on this board that is in their 50's and taking HRT with good results?  Thanks.

Suzie
  •  

shanetastic

It's never too late to start HRT if it will make you happy.  Everyone will see some changes in HRT, although I'm not so sure of the age differences that compare to the physical changes.  This is when I wish we had an age group before and after photo page hehe.  Never the less, I do know that some people have started later in life in that age range and have turned out great. 

Nothing is ever set in stone.  It's always a your results may vary type of deal.
trying to live life one day at a time
  •  

Janet_Girl

Hi Suziech,   :icon_wave:

Welcome to our little family. Over 1490 strong. That would be one heck of a family reunion. Feel free to post your successes/failures, Hopes/dreams.  Ask questions and seek answers.  Give and receive advice.

But remember we are family here, your family now.  And it is always nice to have another sister.   :icon_hug:

And No you are never to late to start HRT.  I am 54 and 8 months on HRT and 4 Months RLE.  And I have breast development and still going.

Janet

•  

Rachael

Hey, Sure you can... a lot do start around that age... you will see changes, but as others said, dont expect to turn into pamela anderson overnight... chances of getting beyond a Bcup or even actually getting full breasts from hormones alone is slim at that age. But surgery fixes what nature cant finish :)
  •  

Renate

Hi Suziech:

You can't throw a rock around here without hitting somebody eligible for AARP (minimum age 50).

Too old? I can tell by your post that you're still living. You're not too old.

Yes, it's true, if you're over 50, hormones will only turn you into an over 50 woman.
If that appeals to you, go for it! I did.
  •  

Sandy

Suzie:

As just about everyone here has said, you are never too old!

My doctor, bless his heart, referred to me as being 54 years young when he evaluated me for HRT.

You are right, though. the effects of having a second puberty after decades of the debilitating effects of testosterone poisoning are less pronounced.  It will only affect soft tissue.  Bone and cartilage will not change.  Breast development will probably be much less (welcome to implants, honey!).  Though your nipples and areolae will become larger and *much* more sensitive!  Other things such as skin, hair, and fatty tissue will change.  Your skin will be come softer, your face will become more rounded, and you will probably lose body hair and have fat start moving to your hips and butt.  That can feel just as profound as swinging your "girls" around. 

Welcome to Susans!  Please take some time to read the site guidelines and rules to live by.  Also please take the opportunity to introduce yourself!

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

NicholeW.

Bone and cartilege will not change unless you are under about 8, so don't worry about that. All anyone on a board like this ever gets is soft tissue and plastic surgery changes.

How E transforms or doesn't anyone, no matter what age, is pretty much the luck of the draw. It's never too late as people in their 70s transition. No one is going to be able to predict yours or anyone else's results.

In point of fact a number of women who begin in their late-teens and early-twenties find that as they reach their late forties and fifties that they suddenly start to get "read" and need the FFS in order to maintain their own senses of "how I should look."

Sometimes older transitioners have a better result simply because at their ages the sexes are starting to converge in many ways with looks.

Too late? No.

Nichole
  •  

SusanK

Quote from: Renate on January 18, 2009, 05:58:40 AM
You can't throw a rock around here without hitting somebody eligible for AARP (minimum age 50).

Ow! That hurt! I'm long past the eligibility for AARP, joined and quit shortly thereafter, long story about it's corporateness bilking older people for profit. Anyway, as said, you're never too old, only the effects are less past about 50, especially in the face and body.

But before you start, you definitely should have a complete physical with all the tests to get a baseline for future comparison. This is standard practice now for 50+ year olds so it's usually covered by health insurance (gender neutral). Go for it and get the complete works.

The key with anyone on hrt after 50 is your health and fitness should come first, and your transistion second. This is because it's difficult to predict the effects of hrt, especially moderate to higher dosages, and it easy to overdo the hrt with bad results down the road. Self-monitoring is key along with routine physician visits and blood tests.

And while many health insurance plans will not pay for hrt specific to a diagnosis for GID, they will pay if there is no mention of any mental health condition. So, while it's in the conversation with your physician, its shouldn't be with your health insurance provider unless they specifically cover it, which is rare (read the plan's coverage booklet).

Good luck.

Post Merge: January 18, 2009, 12:28:21 PM

Quote from: Kassandra on January 18, 2009, 07:17:49 AM
You are right, though. the effects of having a second puberty after decades of the debilitating effects of testosterone poisoning are less pronounced.  It will only affect soft tissue.  Bone and cartilage will not change.  Breast development will probably be much less (welcome to implants, honey!).  Though your nipples and areolae will become larger and *much* more sensitive!  Other things such as skin, hair, and fatty tissue will change.  Your skin will be come softer, your face will become more rounded, and you will probably lose body hair and have fat start moving to your hips and butt.  That can feel just as profound as swinging your "girls" around.

Some of these will or can happen, but not all. You won't lose body hair as it will become finer and take longer to grow. You don't move fat cells (ok, picky), but the fat will add or subtract in some areas, but no guarrantees because it's still your genetics for your body type,  fat distribution, physical activity, exercise program, etc. Some people will lose fat on their face.

What wasn't mentioned is muscle mass loss, and without exercise or physical activity, could easily convert to fat. Your energy level and metabolism will likely change along with some mental and emotion changes (your brain uses hormones and is effected by them too).

In short, it's like going through puberty, life and menopause in 2-3+ years. But then the experience and wisdom of being older can help balance things. That's up to you as it's why some older (trans)women don' transistion nicely because they don't monitor their life and reality during the period.

it's the old adage, "Your mileage may vary." It's your life and body, take care, it's easy to wreck which may be irreversible.
  •  

Ms.Behavin

Well I started HRT at 50, Now I'm 53, so it's not too late.  The effects depend on your genetics and the results appear slower,  but they do appear and then some.

Beni

•  

Ms Bev

I started hrt in earnest at 55, and am now 58.  Far as I can tell, I have bumps and curves in all the correct places, round features, baby-soft skin, etc...
Good luck!

Bev
1.) If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance. 
Bev
2.) The more I talk to my married friends, the more I
     appreciate  having a wife.
Marcy
  •  

sabrina

I know I have a bag full of rocks somewhere close at hand *jk*  I am 26 years old and wish you nothing but the best. 

One other thing if you are alive then it is never too late for Anything. 

One of my fav songs is by a group called 3 Days Grace the song is *Never Too Late*

Quote from: Renate on January 18, 2009, 05:58:40 AM
  •  

Ms Bev

Quote from: Starbuck on January 18, 2009, 02:20:36 AM
... chances of getting beyond a Bcup or even actually getting full breasts from hormones alone is slim at that age. But surgery fixes what nature cant finish :)

I don't like the notion of cutting fragile breast tissue,and jamming plastic sacs inside.  Sure....if I needed breast reconstruction I would.
I started out as a 42 nuttin' honey, and now I'm a 38 C, and still going....slowly now. It's in the genes.  But there's so much more than just boobs.  Yes, very nice, but there is just so very much more.

Bev
Bev
Marcy
  •  

Rachael

Are you overweight?

As for augementation, breast tissue is not cut... implants are placed bellow the tissue... sacks are not 'jammed' No surgery is that crude...
  •  

Chaunte

Welcome to the hormone-club, Suz!  I'm 51 and on HRT.
  •  

francoise

Hi Suziech,
I am 51 and on anti testo (androcur) My Endocrino said HRT is fine at our age and beyond
Androcur has proved very efficient for me to understand that my drive towards transition and feminiine gender is beyond libido issue.
No E at this point
Francoise
  •  

paulault55

Hi Suzie,

Welcome to Susan's, I'm 56 and only been on hrt 8 months but i am getting good results so far but YMMV, like others have said body hair growth slows but not facial hair I'm getting laser for that. My facial features are changing and people are noticing. So yes us over 50 can get good results.

Paula.

I am a Mcginn Girl May 9 2011
  •  

Ms Bev

Quote from: Starbuck on January 19, 2009, 05:25:10 AM
Are you overweight?

As for augementation, breast tissue is not cut... implants are placed bellow the tissue... sacks are not 'jammed' No surgery is that crude...

Am I overweight?  No, not so much that it matters.  Are you?
Treat yourself to some videos of BA surgery, and watch them mechanically make a pocket for the implant by shoving their hand through the implant opening, and ripping the glandular tissue from the muscle membranes to make the pocket, then poking the implant inside.  It's not the delicate surgery you might think.  Then usually, about 7 yrs later, you have them replaced.......

Bev
Marcy
  •  

MaggieB

I'm 57 and started about seven years ago. Just had an orchi 10 days ago. I asked the very same question about being too old and one thing that came to mind was: What else am I going to do? Become an old MAN? No way. I was told by family that I would never pass, that I was too masculine, that it was not a medical condition, that it was some other mental illness, that I was being perverted, that I was incompetent to make these decisions but still I persevered, transitioned and I do pass and my body did feminize more than I thought it would and I am happier.  They have been shown to be WRONG! So I say go for it!

Maggie
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Miss Bev on January 19, 2009, 10:12:36 AM

Treat yourself to some videos of BA surgery, and watch them mechanically make a pocket for the implant by shoving their hand through the implant opening, and ripping the glandular tissue from the muscle membranes to make the pocket, then poking the implant inside.  It's not the delicate surgery you might think.  Then usually, about 7 yrs later, you have them replaced.......

Yes, that is exactly what happens.  In my case, they inserted the implant through an incision around the edge of the lower areolea, through the tissue and placed the implant below the chest mucle.  That is a common procedure as well.  Also there is "below the breast insertions as well as "through the armpit".  Each has their advantages/disadvantages.  And yes they have to be "aggressive".  Believe it or not, human tissue is quite resilient.  Think how leather is resistant to being punctured or ripped open.  Leather is that way because that is the way the tissue is.  It is not the tanning process that gives leather its strength.

However, you do heal!  Those tissues that are ripped (actually stretched) will mostly return to their pre-surgical condition.  Even breast feeding is still possible following augmentation.

And the warranty is more like ten years.  Most last longer, some shorter.

If you want a real gut churning video, however, watch a rhinoplasty.  I'm not sure I would have had one had I known what really happens. :o :o :o

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Nigella

Hi,

I agree with most of what has been said. I am 50 and started HRT last year (2008) People have to generalise because everyone is different as to its how well things change for you. For me its been good and continues to be so I will say only that as some people think they can disagree with you even though they have don't you.

I have breast bud growth, breast growth, 36b at the moment, fat redistribution, bigger butt, lol, body hair loss (I was originally a gorilla, lol). My face has changed, rounder, muscle loss, softer skin, O! and yes emotional, lol.
There's probably other things. Just remembered and this one is odd, my eyesight has got better, at my last eyesight test I had because my eyesight was getting blurred with my glasses (I thought I needed stronger glasses) turned out I needed a less strength lenses, 25% improvement. Well take that as you may, but true.

Stardust
  •