News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Am I Too Old For HRT?

Started by Suziech, January 18, 2009, 01:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrissty

Quote from: stardust on January 19, 2009, 02:48:39 PM
.... My face has changed, rounder, muscle loss, softer skin, O! and yes emotional, lol.

Stardust

...more "emotional" is the one thing that worries me about the idea of going on HRT at 50...

...I'm already so darn' emotional........If I got any worse I 'd need to carry "Flood Warning" signs..... ::)

Chrissty
  •  

Rachael

I think after message 400 of 400 saying how its not too late, that 'i went on hrt past 50 and i look like a supermodel!' comments are a tad fruitless now... i think she knows ;)
  •  

amberwish

I am 66 and went on hormones June of 2008.  No problems and am enjoying life more than ever.  Living as a female 24/7 and 78 pound weight loss I feel more like 46 instead of 66.

Hugs   Amber
I may grow old but I refuse to grow up.
  •  

Suziech

Thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice.  I am much more relieved that it is possible to have HRT in your 50's. I'm not so concerned about breast growth since I already have an A or B cup. Not even sure if I would need Hormones except to have softer skin and possibly a more feminine face.  Stardust you look wonderful.

Suzie
  •  

Nigella

Quote from: Starbuck on January 19, 2009, 06:50:50 PM
I think after message 400 of 400 saying how its not too late, that 'i went on hrt past 50 and i look like a supermodel!' comments are a tad fruitless now... i think she knows ;)

Starbuck if you look at the replies its only around 22 or so not 400 of 400 a bit of an exaggeration or am I being too obtuse with my comment and we all can't help being supermodels can we, it comes with the territory , lol.

O! and thank you Suzie for the comment, I bet you say that to all the girls, lol.

Stardust

Stardust
  •  

Rachael

You are now entering Sarcasm city limits, please enjoy your stay....
  •  

Zelane

Interesting, I didnt knew there were this many transitioners in their 50s.
  •  

Chrissty

Quote from: Zelane on January 24, 2009, 04:52:48 AM
Interesting, I didnt knew there were this many transitioners in their 50s.

Shhhhh...We don't want too many people to know our age...It's a "Girl" thing! ;)
  •  

Zelane

Actually I have seen here some persons saying they are 50 or above and when looking at their pics/avatars im like... no way, YOU ARENT 50!!11

Hey, I would like to look that young when I reach that age (If I reach it :p)
  •  

paulault55

When discussion of age comes up and i say 56 people would say no way, then i have to get my dl out and show them, and even then they would give me a hard time about it. From now on when someone asks i'm in my 40's.

Paula.

I am a Mcginn Girl May 9 2011
  •  

Laura Eva B

Why do peeps always have to exaggerate this subject ... ??? ...

I started hrt mid 40's (5 years now) and feel my experience is typical.

Hi,

I agree with most of what has been said. I am 50 and started HRT last year (2008)

I have breast bud growth, breast growth, 36b at the moment, fat redistribution, bigger butt, lol, body hair loss (I was originally a gorilla, lol). My face has changed, rounder, muscle loss, softer skin, O! and yes emotional, lol.
There's probably other things. Just remembered and this one is odd, my eyesight has got better, at my last eyesight test I had because my eyesight was getting blurred with my glasses (I thought I needed stronger glasses) turned out I needed a less strength lenses, 25% improvement. Well take that as you may, but true.

OK Stardust, its not a dig at you but 36B on under 1 years hrt, come on ? ... and judging from your avatar a 36" band must be the most ill fitting bra ever, I'm slim, 9st 8ib, UK 10-12 / US 8-10 and I need 38" and still have to exceed an A cup ! 

It took 3 years for my body hair to significantly diminish to the point of not being an issue, and I'm still waiting for significant hip and thigh growth ... guess it will never happen short of gorging myself to gain several dress sizes, and even then most weight would go on my waistband !

Guess what did happen quite soon was skin improvement / softening, and facially I looked more feminine, but I looked half OK to begin with.

Maybe I look younger than I do in a male sense, but guess I always looked young, and no way would I pretend to look younger than many women of my age who have taken real care of themselves ...

Laura x
  •  

Nigella

Quote from: Laura Eva B on January 24, 2009, 03:56:28 PM
Why do peeps always have to exaggerate this subject ... ??? ...

I started hrt mid 40's (5 years now) and feel my experience is typical.

Hi,

I agree with most of what has been said. I am 50 and started HRT last year (2008)

I have breast bud growth, breast growth, 36b at the moment, fat redistribution, bigger butt, lol, body hair loss (I was originally a gorilla, lol). My face has changed, rounder, muscle loss, softer skin, O! and yes emotional, lol.
There's probably other things. Just remembered and this one is odd, my eyesight has got better, at my last eyesight test I had because my eyesight was getting blurred with my glasses (I thought I needed stronger glasses) turned out I needed a less strength lenses, 25% improvement. Well take that as you may, but true.

OK Stardust, its not a dig at you but 36B on under 1 years hrt, come on ? ... and judging from your avatar a 36" band must be the most ill fitting bra ever, I'm slim, 9st 8ib, UK 10-12 / US 8-10 and I need 38" and still have to exceed an A cup ! 

It took 3 years for my body hair to significantly diminish to the point of not being an issue, and I'm still waiting for significant hip and thigh growth ... guess it will never happen short of gorging myself to gain several dress sizes, and even then most weight would go on my waistband !

Guess what did happen quite soon was skin improvement / softening, and facially I looked more feminine, but I looked half OK to begin with.

Maybe I look younger than I do in a male sense, but guess I always looked young, and no way would I pretend to look younger than many women of my age who have taken real care of themselves ...

Laura x

Laura I always find people commenting on an others proportions rather odd as a person does not know the other. I also find it offensive and out of order. If you are implying that I lie or delude myself then I find that offensive too. My bra's fit perfectly well thank you and yes sorry to say I am 36b and fitted by a professional ladies outlet. And yes I have had that growth but bear in mind (if you see other post on painful breast buds) I was large for a male chest before HRT. And no I am not fat at 9 3/4 stone thank you and 5th 6in.

Why is that I have to justify myself to you when I don't know you and you don't know me. Why would I bother saying things if they were not true that doesn't help me or anyone else. I come here not for support but to help others. I am past that stage being 24/7, with full time work and a healthy social life. Please refrain from making comments on me when you don't know me. I don't do to you so please don't do it to me.

Stardust 
  •  

Rachael

I was  A b cup inside a year... hell by about 9 months... so its entirely possible... im now a fairly mid C after 2, and a 36 band ;) I dont see why she'd have to lie about it? I know plenty of natal women that take 40+ band... whats the biggie? This isnt a competition.

As for thigh growth... SERIOUSLY? do you want some? i have more thigh than.... than a lot of thigh!
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Starbuck on January 25, 2009, 05:33:32 AM
I was  A b cup inside a year... hell by about 9 months... so its entirely possible... im now a fairly mid C after 2, and a 36 band ;) I dont see why she'd have to lie about it? I know plenty of natal women that take 40+ band... whats the biggie? This isnt a competition.

As for thigh growth... SERIOUSLY? do you want some? i have more thigh than.... than a lot of thigh!
Hey, I've got you all beat!  I gained three cup sizes in less than a day!

I started out as a barely A cup and woke up as a D cup.  Now I'm DD but I really need to get back on the treadmill.

... but then again, Dr. Z helped a little bit with about 660ml of saline on each side...  :D :D :D

-Sandy(alright!  Everybody lighten up!!)
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Rachael

•  

vanna

Quote from: Kassandra on January 25, 2009, 07:30:01 AM
Quote from: Starbuck on January 25, 2009, 05:33:32 AM

Hey, I've got you all beat!  I gained three cup sizes in less than a day!

I started out as a barely A cup and woke up as a D cup.  Now I'm DD but I really need to get back on the treadmill.

... but then again, Dr. Z helped a little bit with about 660ml of saline on each side...  :D :D :D

-Sandy(alright!  Everybody lighten up!!)

Lol

very good Sandy...

i 2nd the lighten up comment, every good thread lately ends up like this  ::)
  •  

Nigella

Lets get back to thread. Just was fed up with others that think there experience is the norm, so it might be but the normal range also means there are those who are outside that normal range. This is my last word on this.

Suffice is to say, HRT in older age also reflects biological and genetic differences in people and each one of us is unique, that's why each persons finger print is different. In general no one knows what a person can expect from HRT. Age does come into it as there is less growth hormone, yet again in a generalised sense. That doesn't mean you don't still have a higher range than normal for your age. I still heal very quickly and my growth hormone levels are higher than usual for my age. I keep a good diet and exercise, I have never smoked and I am a light drinker (almost tea total, lol).

Everything we do will impact on hormone levels and its effect on your body.

hugs

Stardust   
  •  

Naturally Blonde

Quote from: Suziech on January 18, 2009, 01:03:14 AM
Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to ask this important question.  I'm a 50 year old transgender person and want to know if I am too old to start hormone therapy.  I've read that the older you are the less chance you will benefit from the hormones.  Is there anyone on this board that is in their 50's and taking HRT with good results?  Thanks.

Suzie

I think we are all too old for HRT if we are over 12 years old. Obviously the older we are the less impact they will have on us and after the age of 12 or 13 our pelvis has already developed, so no physical structure changes and any female fat distribution development will be limited.

But we continue on with gusto, and although I was taking HRT in my 20's I am still disappointed in the lack of female fat distribution. I'm now in my 40's and have now started other methods such as excercise and will probably seek liposuction to effect the appearance of a female waistline.

Also HRT works better on some than others no matter what age and they usually works better on endomophic body types.
Living in the real world, not a fantasy
  •  

noeleena

hi... this is not to compare with any one
weight  11 stone ..height  5 .9 ..waist 32 1/ 2 in.s..hips 37.in.s..bust 41 ..  h r t .  5 years ago .. s r s may 07 ..i am 61 .
    my skin is softer.   hair . with a epalater about every 3 weeks . is down at 30 % i think its a bit less .  on arms & legs .    body is at 15. % .  waist  i lost 2 in.s  . from h r t over 6 to 9 months after being on that . i did not lose my stringth as much as i thought so about 10 to 15 % . face just shave once a day & my hair is lighter  as well
  my breast growth was over 2 1 / 2 years about a b cup . now with b a 16 c to d more d   . shoes womens size 11.    for my age i am happy with the results . as i am andro as well so its good . i came out 11 years ago
    i dont & wont pass for a women yet i am told i do . okay ill let others see that  & comment.   i dont try to as i am happy just being me a women with a male back ground ..its how you accept your self as well.. so yea its all good its the you inside that counts not how you look . & its being accepted for who you are .....
       ...noeleena...
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

Rachael

Quote from: Naturally Blonde on January 29, 2009, 05:42:23 AM
Quote from: Suziech on January 18, 2009, 01:03:14 AM
Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to ask this important question.  I'm a 50 year old transgender person and want to know if I am too old to start hormone therapy.  I've read that the older you are the less chance you will benefit from the hormones.  Is there anyone on this board that is in their 50's and taking HRT with good results?  Thanks.

Suzie

I think we are all too old for HRT if we are over 12 years old. Obviously the older we are the less impact they will have on us and after the age of 12 or 13 our pelvis has already developed, so no physical structure changes and any female fat distribution development will be limited.

But we continue on with gusto, and although I was taking HRT in my 20's I am still disappointed in the lack of female fat distribution. I'm now in my 40's and have now started other methods such as excercise and will probably seek liposuction to effect the appearance of a female waistline.

Also HRT works better on some than others no matter what age and they usually works better on endomophic body types.
Might i ask if you are slim to skinny? NO s*** you didnt get any distribution if you had no fat to distribute..., the pelvis isnt fully formed till around age 16, in all fairness, and it can and has still changed... all bone is living, and ive known several people in thier 20s, me included, who have seen pelvic widening... Its all down to genes and hgh levels...
  •