Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Michigan Women's Music festival now admits trans women

Started by LostInTime, August 21, 2006, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article

HART, MICHIGAN - The Michigan Women's Music Festival began admitting openly trans (transgender/transsexual) women last week, bringing success to a longstanding struggle by trans activists both inside and outside the festival.

"Seeing trans women inside the festival for the first time brought me totears," said Sue Ashman, who attends the festival every year. "It's restored my faith in women's communities."

Ashman said "I have friends who have already committed to bringing themselves and others for the first time next year."

Organizers of Camp Trans, the annual protest across the road from the festival, say that every year at least one trans woman at Camp Trans walks to the festival gate with a group of supporters, explains that she is trans, and tries to buy a ticket. In past years, the festival box office has produced a printed copy of the policy and refused.
  •  

Melissa

That's really good news.  I was with a group of women last week and they were discussing how fun this was and I remembered that they didn't admit trans-women, but I may now consider trying this out.

Melissa
  •  

Dennis

It's about bloody time. If I remember correctly, their policy was to only allow "women born women living as women", which also excluded transmen. (And the latter, I think should continue. Transmen should respect women's spaces imo.)

Dennis
  •  

Melissa

Actually the phrase they used was "womyn born womyn" because they wanted nothing to do with anything male and removed the e's.  That's how bad they were.  Also, since trans men are neither women nor womyn, that would automatically imply they were excluded.

Melissa
  •  

Kate Thomas

For a comic book view of "Camp Trans" check out Stacy Mongomery's
"Transexual Fury Summer Camp Special"

Camp Trans Super HeroTransexual FuryTeams up with  the festival's own Fighting Feminist to battle the enhanced Super-Male "Andro-Man"

Join these super heros as they fight for gender diversity.  and win a few battels :)
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •