News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I'm writing a book of my own...

Started by Unconditional Acceptance, March 26, 2009, 04:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimey

Quote from: avmorgan on May 06, 2009, 12:35:29 AM
And before I go, a question: I've often heard the saying, write what you know, but I've wondered, do you think mainstream audiences would respond well to books featuring a transgendered main character?

They will if you do it right.  Consider Middlesex and Now Is the HourMiddlesex is about an intersexed person and Now Is the Hour is about a gay person.  I think both of these books are accessible to anyone.  Also, Luna, a teen book about a transexual girl.  Those three books are written in a way that anyone can identify with them.  The best advice I can give you is to write the character, but don't shove their transexuality down the audience's throats.  Being transexual is only a part of that character's life.  There are a lot of other things that make the character human.  It's all in how you treat the character. 

For example, all my main characters are male, as far as names/pronouns go.  But in reality, they are androgynous.  They could be anyone.  I don't focus on what they are.  Instead I focus on who they are and how they relate to their world and the people around them.  I don't really write prose...I do some flash fiction and some very prose like poetry.  I don't really know what to call it.  But I'm still telling a story about a person, not about their gender.  :-\
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

Unconditional Acceptance

Thanks for your input, avmorgan!

Unfortunately I haven't had an abundance of time to work on this cause school has been bogging me down like there's no tomorrow, but I'll have plenty of time to work on it in the summer.

As to the transgendered main character quesion, I think there will be a positive response from some, maybe not on others. I think it'd be cool though, I've read Luna (as Jaimey mentioned) and loved it. Whatever path you choose, good luck!  ;D
  •