Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Picking out your makeup: Cheap makeup, is it worth it?

Started by LostInTime, August 29, 2006, 08:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Personal decision on the question but this slightly over a minute vid tells (and shows) a couple of things about cheap v high cost makeup.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-8024676793641338

See thousands of videos on many different subjects, from hundreds of Experts, at Expert Village.
  •  

lpfix2009

Quote from: LostInTime on August 29, 2006, 08:25:17 AM
Personal decision on the question but this slightly over a minute vid tells (and shows) a couple of things about cheap v high cost makeup.

I hate cheap makeup with a passion
  •  

K8

I ended up having to go to an eye doctor because Mary Kay was ruining my eyes.  He was surprised to see that my eyes were seriously irritated all the way through, not just on the surface.

I don't use a lot of makeup, but since that experience I use only quality stuff.  But it depends on what you can afford.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Jamiee

Ouch, K8. What Mary Kay product were you using that did that? Like you said, it all depends on what you can afford. So I am usually forced to look at the lower end makeup. Thus, I like to know what I should beware of.
  •  

K8

I think it was called eye cream.  Supposedly the skin around the eyes is not the same as on the rest of the face, so you need special lotion for around the eyes.  It just about ruined me. :(  Now I put on eye makeup (MAC and Lancome) but don't put lotion next to my eyes when I take the makeup off.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

yin_haan

Define "cheap".

I think most people would consider 22 USD for a single eye shadow, like the Laura Mercier Matte Eye Color I use, to be expensive. I consider it cheap, because it lasts me a long time. I'm well over a year on my most worn shadow color. I use a lot of Laura Mercier products, but a little goes a very long way, so I don't mind the cost. Is 45 USD expensive for a La Ligne de Chanel eye liner compact, if it lasts for years?

I also use a lot of cheaper, drugstore level stuff, mainly L'Oreal, and some Revlon. There are many L'Oreal products that are practically identical to the equivalent product the same company sells under the Lancôme brand name. Why pay more for essentially the same thing? Other L'Oreal products are very highly rated in their own right, like a lot of their True Match products.

Some of the EcoTools brushes I use are better than high-end brand brushes costing many times the price.

It pays to shop around and consider your needs carefully when selecting makeup. A lot of the high-end brands have bonus days where you can get a whole bag full of cosmetics for a relatively low price. I actually felt kind of bad about passing on the Lancôme bonus this Christmas, because I really *do* need a new tube of Cils Booster XL, but at the same time, I had just dropped about 200 USD to replenish some Laura Mercier favorites at Sephora, along with having run out of all my fragrances right before my birthday party.
  •