Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Theogony of Hesiod

Started by Annwyn, April 25, 2009, 04:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annwyn

A funny little verse.  I guess us women are just all that eh?

"(ll. 590-612) For from her is the race of women and female kind: of her is the deadly race and tribe of women who live amongst mortal men to their great trouble, no helpmeets in hateful poverty, but only in wealth. And as in thatched hives bees feed the drones whose nature is to do mischief -- by day and throughout the day until the sun goes down the bees are busy and lay the white combs, while the drones stay at home in the covered skeps and reap the toil of others into their own bellies -- even so Zeus who thunders on high made women to be an evil to mortal men, with a nature to do evil. And he gave them a second evil to be the price for the good they had: whoever avoids marriage and the sorrows that women cause, and will not wed, reaches deadly old age without anyone to tend his years, and though he at least has no lack of livelihood while he lives, yet, when he is dead, his kinsfolk divide his possessions amongst them. And as for the man who chooses the lot of marriage and takes a good wife suited to his mind, evil continually contends with good; for whoever happens to have mischievous children, lives always with unceasing grief in his spirit and heart within him; and this evil cannot be healed."
  •  

aisha

bees are great, they've been around for so long.. I really like them, we seem to get along somehow, its the bees knees.

I don't know if women are evil, a lot of stories are twisted around and everyone has their own interpretation.. like this doesn't even make sense to me, if Zeus created women, then who created Zeus? There was some woman around before him, yeah everyone/thing has a mom :)
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: aisha on May 13, 2009, 10:07:37 AM
I don't know if women are evil, a lot of stories are twisted around and everyone has their own interpretation.. like this doesn't even make sense to me, if Zeus created women, then who created Zeus? There was some woman around before him, yeah everyone/thing has a mom :)

Uh-huh. Men have been pretending for years that they exist without the assistance of a mother. Even their gods manage to act as if they are mothers! One of the more hilarious aspects of patriarchy.  >:-)
  •  

Constance

Annwyn

Quote from: Shades O'Grey on May 13, 2009, 10:59:01 AM
Zeus' father was Cronus and his mother was Rhea.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/z/zeus.html

Here we go again.  Confusing the issue with facts.

I thought America was past that annoying phase.
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Annwyn on May 13, 2009, 11:00:22 AM
Here we go again.  Confusing the issue with facts.

I thought America was past that annoying phase.
I don't understand; what did I do wrong? And, what do my mistakes have to do with America?

aisha

you didn't do anything wrong, unless you feel like you did, everyone comes to their own personal truth according to their own experience, since we are after all in different places in the world, in life.. whatnot, why wouldn't we have different perspectives, suitable to our particular situation.. what i've found is facts only take you to the edge of what is commonly accepted, but why is it that almost everyone who seems to say anything interesting and inspire also will admit they know nothing? Life is made up, straight up as we go.. other wise.. whats the point of experiencing it, if the answers are already definite?
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: Shades O'Grey on May 13, 2009, 10:59:01 AM
Zeus' father was Cronus and his mother was Rhea.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/z/zeus.html
Quote from: Shades O'Grey on May 13, 2009, 11:07:06 AM
I don't understand; what did I do wrong? And, what do my mistakes have to do with America?

I doubt Ann thought you did anything "wrong." Just mixing in fact with Hesiod's writing is all.

I think the comment was supposed to have been humorous rather than critical.

N~
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Nichole on May 13, 2009, 12:03:14 PM
I doubt Ann thought you did anything "wrong." Just mixing in fact with Hesiod's writing is all.

I think the comment was supposed to have been humorous rather than critical.

N~
Hmm, perhaps I need to read the entire work then. I seem to have missed something in the excerpt above that seems to be obvious to others.

NicholeW.

Quote from: Shades O'Grey on May 13, 2009, 12:06:49 PM
Hmm, perhaps I need to read the entire work then. I seem to have missed something in the excerpt above that seems to be obvious to others.

Or that could just make it worse. Try boning-up on quirky and ironic humor instead.
  •  

aisha

•  

Annwyn

•  

tekla

Bow wow wow yippie yo, yippie yay
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Annwyn

don't be hatin cuz i'm white an nerdy
  •