Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Marriage Equality Suit that Doesn't Exclude Anyone

Started by Kayden, May 13, 2009, 03:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayden

http://www.queerty.com/the-lawsuit-that-tackles-just-about-every-same-sex-marriage-issue-ever-20090511/

Anyway, I read through the entire document against the United States.  Aside from the doing the whole the extremely intelligently, the couple only uses the term "same-sex" marriage in quotes, and only in reference to how it has been referred to by the United States.  When their document is referring to marriage, they refer to it as SAME GENDER MARRIAGE.

I just thought that was interesting and awesome.  The word GENDER instead of SEX.  I know other marriages have been invalidated (such as in Texas) that were straight marriages just because of a trans person's birth sex.  This would eliminate that too... well, any gay marriage bill would, but I just like the consideration that they must have put into it to actually go against everything everyone is saying and put SAME GENDER in there repeatedly.

Also seeing the following thing amused me greatly:

v. United States of America
  •  

tekla

Suits against the United States are pretty hard to win, as the government of the United States tries them.  Sort of a loaded gun.

And, if they get granted certiorari (doubtful) and lose (which is likely, as the Fed has no power over the states in this matter, and will not move to force Cali to do anything) it could set this whole issue back for at least a decade, if not more.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •