Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hiding HRT at work & HRT oil from breasts?

Started by Galantha, July 05, 2009, 12:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galantha

In a perfect world I would like to start HRT three months from now.  However, I am probably going to need to keep my current job for at least a year to pay for facial feminization surgery.  In the state of Wisconsin firing someone for being a transsexual is acceptable, and I am not sure if I would even get unemployment.  It has taken over four years for me to get my current job, so my re-employment prospects are not good.

Which leads to the following questions:
How hard is it to conceal HRT at work? 
-> I have read suggestions like sports bras and the such, but more information would be nice

Having done some reading I read about one case where a transwomen was outed at work by oil secretions from her breasts.  I work in a cheese factory, so this type of thing would instantly be a problem.  Does anyone have any more information about this?  I was thinking some type of pad could be used to absorb this if it is common.   

Thank you for any information / thoughts you can give me,
Galantha
  •  

Nero

QuoteHaving done some reading I read about one case where a transwomen was outed at work by oil secretions from her breasts. 

wow. never heard of that one. from the HRT?  ???
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Galantha

Quote from: Nero on July 05, 2009, 12:51:07 PM
wow. never heard of that one. from the HRT?  ???

It apparently is a possible side effect from something called "Prolactin".  I have been looking for more information without much success.

-- Galantha
  •  

LordKAT

Prolactin, as I recall, is what comes in before your milk does when you have a kid. Never thought of it as oily tho. If this is so they make pads just for it, same ones used by breast feeding mothers.
  •  

Galantha

Quote from: LordKAT on July 05, 2009, 01:12:00 PM
Prolactin, as I recall, is what comes in before your milk does when you have a kid. Never thought of it as oily tho. If this is so they make pads just for it, same ones used by breast feeding mothers.

That answers 1/2 my post very nicely.  Thank you!
-- Galantha
  •  

Kara Lee

For me, an unbuttoned collared shirt over a loose t-shirt has been enough for a while.  Part of it will probably depend on how much and how fast your growth is, everyone is different there.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
  •  

Sandy

If you start secreting prolactin from your nipples, your hormone levels are too high.  They would need some adjustment.  If that occurs, yes, use nursing pads to absorb the secretions.

Also note that your skin will become smoother as you feminize and you will lose body, though not facial hair.  Also some of your facial features will become softer.  That may be noticed as well, even if no one notices your budding breasts.

It happened to me and I just said I was taking better care of my skin.  No one mentioned anything about my body hair.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Galantha

Quote from: Sandy on July 05, 2009, 01:38:23 PM
If you start secreting prolactin from your nipples, your hormone levels are too high.  They would need some adjustment.  If that occurs, yes, use nursing pads to absorb the secretions.

Also note that your skin will become smoother as you feminize and you will lose body, though not facial hair.  Also some of your facial features will become softer.  That may be noticed as well, even if no one notices your budding breasts.

It happened to me and I just said I was taking better care of my skin.  No one mentioned anything about my body hair.

-Sandy
It sounds like you were able to hide your HRT at work which seems to be a good sign.  If I may ask, how long did you hide it?

With the exception of my face, my entire body is covered where I work.  I would have to worry about the locker room, but I was thinking of changing in the bathroom stall.  Not really sure.  The main things I would be worried about were hip developement and breast developement.  I am one of those guys that already has breasts to start with, so I am not sure how that is going to go (I hate refering to myself as a guy also).  I also have always had a feminine walk (it drew insults in school) so the hip sway is a bit worrying to me, but perhaps I am just being paranoid.

-- Galantha
  •  

Lori

Quote from: Galantha on July 05, 2009, 12:43:41 PM
In a perfect world I would like to start HRT three months from now.  However, I am probably going to need to keep my current job for at least a year to pay for facial feminization surgery.  In the state of Wisconsin firing someone for being a transsexual is acceptable, and I am not sure if I would even get unemployment.  It has taken over four years for me to get my current job, so my re-employment prospects are not good.

-> I have read suggestions like sports bras and the such, but more information would be nice

Having done some reading I read about one case where a transwomen was outed at work by oil secretions from her breasts.  I work in a cheese factory, so this type of thing would instantly be a problem.  Does anyone have any more information about this?  I was thinking some type of pad could be used to absorb this if it is common.   

Thank you for any information / thoughts you can give me,
Galantha

I've been on HRT for about 4 months or 120 days now and I wear a sports bra daily at work with dark shirts that have breast pockets. Nobody is the wiser. I tan a lot too to hide any changes that may be noticeable. If anything right now I just look younger. I cant really see any major changes. Well boobs maybe. And my hair is certainly thicker on top.

As far as leakage, when a pregnant woman starts lactation it is after a "let down" where all hormones stop being produced. After really high hormone levels, (if you have never noticed just how beautiful a pregnant woman was in the last month of her term,  just stand her in the sun and her skin is like shimmery silk, her hair is thick and full, and her nails are long and pretty) then once the hormones are stopped, you will get discharge. If I stopped all HRT right now, I know what will happen. They make pads to place in front of the nipples to catch any discharge. Its not oil, its prolactin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolactin

You may get some from elevated hormone levels, everybody is different. You probably won't, but get some breast feeding pads and stick them in your sports bra if you are concerned.

http://www.target.com/Medela-Disposable-Nursing-Bra-Pads/dp/B00006FWVR

"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

Galantha

Quote from: Lori on July 05, 2009, 02:15:22 PM
I've been on HRT for about 4 months or 120 days now and I wear a sports bra daily at work with dark shirts that have breast pockets. Nobody is the wiser. I tan a lot too to hide any changes that may be noticeable. If anything right now I just look younger. I cant really see any major changes. Well boobs maybe. And my hair is certainly thicker on top.

As far as leakage, when a pregnant woman starts lactation it is after a "let down" where all hormones stop being produced. After really high hormone levels, (if you have never noticed just how beautiful a pregnant woman was in the last month of her term,  just stand her in the sun and her skin is like shimmery silk, her hair is thick and full, and her nails are long and pretty) then once the hormones are stopped, you will get discharge. If I stopped all HRT right now, I know what will happen. They make pads to place in front of the nipples to catch any discharge. Its not oil, its prolactin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolactin

You may get some from elevated hormone levels, everybody is different. You probably won't, but get some breast feeding pads and stick them in your sports bra if you are concerned.

http://www.target.com/Medela-Disposable-Nursing-Bra-Pads/dp/B00006FWVR

Thank you very much for sharing your experance and recommendations.  I think I am going to try and get on HRT as soon as my therapist will let me then.

-- Galantha
  •  

Hannah

Hiding it isn't really an issue, unless you suddenly pop some c cups and if you do oh-poor-you anyway.  It gets harder to want to hide it every day, but if your'e expecting it maybe it won't be so tuff. Something about the jump from knowing your'e female, and then shortly into hrt actually physically feeling like one seems to add a sense of urgency.
  •  

kae m

It depends what you have to wear to work I suppose.  I've started to always wear a cami or a sports bra under whatever I'm wearing to help smooth things out, but they honestly don't do too much yet.  It's more of an exercise of learning to hide things before I really need to (my breasts are an A right now, so it's not really noticeable on my body yet).  The shaping camis I have are nice because they give me a slightly nicer figure and they don't show under any of my work shirts.  So far no one has said anything, or looked like they noticed at all.  I have seen people noticing my hairless arms, but they haven't said anything about it.  The biggest comment I've gotten about anything transition related (while not being out to any of these people) was "oh your hair looks cute pulled back like that!" :D

My "strategy" was to gradually shift my appearance to be more androgynous, which I started doing about a year ago.  my hope was that by looking more gender neutral I would feel better about myself and gain some confidence, plus other things wouldn't come as much of a surprise to my coworkers - like when I started wearing my hair differently, or my nails were more shaped, or my eye brows thinned out, etc.  I don't know if people aren't noticing, or feeling awkward about saying anything, or more likely they just don't care, but it works for me.
  •  

mmelny

My advice is similiar to posts already up.   I was on HRT for several years before transitioning in the workplace, but I hadn't started anti-androgens until the last couple of years.  And Anti-Androgens are what kicked breast growth into overdrive (if you are one of the lucky ones that have that 'gene').   It became exceedingly hard to hide the growth.

They were hot, especially in summer, but I used these chest binders to good effect:

Sold by a company called underworks in the states.   (google 'em if you are interested).

Style #991.   But I don't remember them being so expensive back then.  I bought 5 of them to last through the work week, and wore them for a couple years, they are sturdy.

I'd donate the ones I had to the cause, but once I transitioned out, they went into the trash, they were a bit worn, anyway.

In the end, when I asked people if they ever noticed, no one did.   Even the last three months, when I decided to chuck the binder, and just free form it under my loose dress shirts (with a t-shirt underneath), no one noticed.  They just don't expect to see things that aren't "supposed" to be there,  :P.

Good Luck Galantha!

*huggs*,
Melan
  •  

Renate

I wouldn't wear a binder in any case.
First, they are uncomfortable even without having tender growing breasts.
Second, they are usually worn by people who don't care about the long term effects on their breasts.

If you are really paranoid, I'd suggest:
A seamless sports bra.
With a smallish dark T-shirt over it.
With a largish, button down shirt with twin breast pockets on top.
(Kind of like something a park ranger would wear.)
  •  

mmelny

Quote from: Renate on July 05, 2009, 05:33:18 PM
Second, they are usually worn by people who don't care about the long term effects on their breasts.

I certainly wouldn't be one to recommend something that was harmful to others, with the chest binders.  I wasn't aware of such dangers, so my apologies for my post above.  I did not experience negative affects, and never gave thought to the fact that they are dangerous to developing breasts, I had never read anything to that point.   I can remove my post if you like?

Take Care,
Melan
  •  

Galantha

Quote from: Renate on July 05, 2009, 05:33:18 PM

If you are really paranoid, I'd suggest:
A seamless sports bra.
With a smallish dark T-shirt over it.
With a largish, button down shirt with twin breast pockets on top.
(Kind of like something a park ranger would wear.)

The seamless sports bra sounds like an idea when it comes time.

At the moment I am working as a temp.  Temps are mandated to wear light cloths with no buttons and long sleeves.  At the moment that means white sweatshirt + Kahki pants.  (the whole place is a refrigerated).

The uniform provided to regular workers (which I am hoping to get hired on as one in a month or two) is a white linen shirt and white linen pants which are loose and look very comfortable.  They have snaps on them and no pockets.  People typically wear some sort of white sweatshirt under these.  If you look hard it is possible to see through them.

While your suggestions sound very wise and thought out, I unfortunately would only be able to implement the seamless bra part :(.

Thank you everyone for your responses,
Galantha
  •  

Lori

Quote from: Melan on July 05, 2009, 05:40:52 PM
I certainly wouldn't be one to recommend something that was harmful to others, with the chest binders.  I wasn't aware of such dangers, so my apologies for my post above.  I did not experience negative affects, and never gave thought to the fact that they are dangerous to developing breasts, I had never read anything to that point.   I can remove my post if you like?

Take Care,
Melan

I've been wondering about tight fitting sports bras myself. I have never heard binding will stop them from growing. I cannot imagine your binder fitting tighter than one of the sports bras I wear. They hurt already. I don't suppose I'm doing damage....
"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

•  

Sandy

Quote from: Galantha on July 05, 2009, 01:47:07 PM
It sounds like you were able to hide your HRT at work which seems to be a good sign.  If I may ask, how long did you hide it?

With the exception of my face, my entire body is covered where I work.  I would have to worry about the locker room, but I was thinking of changing in the bathroom stall.  Not really sure.  The main things I would be worried about were hip developement and breast developement.  I am one of those guys that already has breasts to start with, so I am not sure how that is going to go (I hate refering to myself as a guy also).  I also have always had a feminine walk (it drew insults in school) so the hip sway is a bit worrying to me, but perhaps I am just being paranoid.

-- Galantha
I work in the corporate world I would regularly wear a sports bra and business casual type shirt then a bulky sweater over that.  I like being warm.  I did that for about eight months prior to my coming out.

Lots of guys get embarrassed in the locker room and change in the stalls.  I would go with that.  No one is really going to call you out on that.  For the most part, guys really don't comment on other guys. 

Also in the short term, I.E. less than a year, you probably won't have that dramatic a change in your physical appearance.  Yes, your skin will become lighter, and smoother, you may get some gynocomastia, but probably not too much fat redistribution to your hips.  Also realize that hip shape is formed primarily by the underlying bone structure.  Your pelvis is still quite masculine so you probably won't develop that much hip width.

Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Naturally Blonde

Quote from: Galantha on July 05, 2009, 12:43:41 PM

Very easy. I know someone who was on HRT for 10 years or more and worked as a guy through the day and no one noticed anything. HRT is very limited and you will be surprised how easy it is to be on HRT and still work as a guy.
Living in the real world, not a fantasy
  •  

Lori

Quote from: Naturally Blonde on July 05, 2009, 07:29:45 PM
Very easy. I know someone who was on HRT for 10 years or more and worked as a guy through the day and no one noticed anything. HRT is very limited and you will be surprised how easy it is to be on HRT and still work as a guy.

I've seen some amazing transformations with HRT and some people that barely change on it. I don't think it is fair to say it is very easy to hide it. I mean....what if this is one of those people that has amazing changes? They won't be able to hide it. I've seen some people that were fully transitioned with SRS and they didn't look like women to me at all. And they got sir'd everywhere they went. It is awful for them.  I think everybody is different. I also know there are some people that could never hide the changes after 1 year of HRT. They got mammed in boy clothes.

•