Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Advocates Protest Name Change Denial

Started by LostInTime, September 14, 2006, 04:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article

The Sylvia Rivera Law Project is objecting after a Manhattan Civil Court judge denied name changes to four transgendered women who sought the new names as part of transitioning to their female sex.

"He called us up and said I'm denying this because I don't want to adjudicate gender," said Pooja Gehi, a staff attorney at the Project, which represents three of the four women.

The denials, which occurred in July, came after José A. Padilla, the judge, "insisted on a requirement for medical documentation related to sex reassignment surgeries," according to a press statement from the Project, which represents transgendered people and is named for the late transgendered activist.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: LostInTime on September 14, 2006, 04:15:58 PM
Article
The denials, which occurred in July, came after José A. Padilla, the judge, "insisted on a requirement for medical documentation related to sex reassignment surgeries,"

So somebody has to be scheduled for SRS prior to getting a name change?  Talk about setting up a big catch 22.

Melissa
  •  

Cindi Jones

I'd reapply under a different court or judge.  That seems pretty simple.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •