Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Ftm underworks binders, what would you suggest?

Started by notyouraverageguy, November 04, 2009, 10:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notyouraverageguy

I wish ftm companies would be more involved with their customers.
As in, take suggestions lightly as to what improvements they should make. They should ask the customers, not just make what they think is best.
Right?... get me?...

I think that ftm underworks should make some improvements on the double front.
One thing that I would change about it is to make the straps thinner.
(I was having trouble choosing between the double front, the extreme chest concealer, and the body shirt BECAUSE of the different compressions and different strap widths.)

I still don't know if I should get black or white, I was really leaning towards white... but now idk.
Gender expression is NOT gender identity.

Defective Catastrophe.
  •  

JonasCarminis

white is easier to hide and looks like a white undershirt unless its the shorter kinds.
  •  

Jamie-o

Thinner straps cut into your shoulders more, which is a bit of a problem already.  Also, thinner straps would require a sharper curve into the main body, which would exacerbate the problem of, er, spillage ... for those of us who have a lot of flesh that needs compressing.  But then, it all depends on your personal body type whether that would be a problem or not.

As for white vs. black - I agree with Josh.  However, I can tell you from experience that the white ones get dingy pretty quickly.  They can also pick up stains from the dye in your clothes if you wear it while sweating a lot.  I ended up with blue stripes around the waist line after wearing a new pair of jeans to my very active job.  ::)  Whenever I have to replace mine I'll probably get a couple black for every day wear, and one white for those odd occasions when I wear a light-colored shirt.
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: Josh on November 04, 2009, 10:11:40 PM
white is easier to hide and looks like a white undershirt unless its the shorter kinds.

Unless you're like me and wear all black and any small amount of the binder sticks out from underneath the shirt.. then the white sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

notyouraverageguy

Well I was saying thinner straps, because it would be better to wear under a tank, [easier to hide]. (Like the straps on the concealer) but not really thin!

Also, I was mainly thinking white because everyone gets white and it seems to be the most color sold. Also I used to wear white tank tops under everything. My reasoning was that if I wear a light or white colored shirt itd be better. But I recently, finally got some grey and black tanks and rarely wear the white ones anymore. And like you said I do wear mostly darks and black tees. So I think im going to lean towards black now... hmmm!
Gender expression is NOT gender identity.

Defective Catastrophe.
  •  

myles

I bought one black and one white wore the white more but that was more because of the time of the year. The white does get trashed pretty easily, can turn yellow especially under the pits.
That said unless you wear a lot of black go for the white and just know it will get stained a bit easier. I liked the tritop but it does tend to roll up.
Good Luck
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Red

I always used a 6 inch wide ace wrap.  It binds very well.  Besides that I'd recommend the "frog bra" if they still have them.  I admit, once I used duct tape and it HURT sooooo bad!  Never use tape.  Plus in tape you can't breathe in it.  An ace wrap lets you breathe.  I wish I still had some of my old binders.  I would have cleaned them up and donated them to FTMs in need. :)
  •  

CodyJess

Quote from: myles on November 05, 2009, 12:26:18 PM
The white does get trashed pretty easily, can turn yellow especially under the pits.

Washing soda. In water. Add binder. Soak overnight. Wash as per usual.

Helps prevent the stains from building up.
  •  

GDTripp

Quote from: CodyJess on November 06, 2009, 01:58:48 PM

Awesome, thanks. Maybe now I'll be able to wear some of my tanks again.
  •  

Konnor

Quote from: CodyJess on November 06, 2009, 01:58:48 PM

What's washing soda? Does washing a binder do anything to it's strength/elasticity?

--Konnor
"It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more manhood to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind." --Alex Karras
  •  

CodyJess

Washing Soda is usually either in the baking section, with the baking soda (laughed my @ss off the first time I saw it there) or with the powdered or 'natural' laundry detergents, like borax, in the nasty-chemicals-aisle. It's usually a smaller box than the regular wash powders -- the stuff I get is made by Arm and Hammer so it looks just like a tall box of Baking Soda.

If you've already got set stains, make a thick paste out of it, spread it on, let it dry to a crisp, and then soak the entire thing overnight and wash it.

Quote from: konman on November 06, 2009, 08:04:43 PM
Does washing a binder do anything to it's strength/elasticity?

Spandex in general doesn't take kindly to dryer-machines (high heat is not awesome for any of your clothes, really) so hang it up to dry. Just wash it with the rest of your stuff (on warm or cold, I'm assuming) and hang it up. A plastic hanger over the showerhead is a good way to not end up with clothespin-crinkles along the bottom (which makes mine roll up the first day I wear it. Argh.) and the easiest way I can think of if you're not used to air-drying your clothes.
  •  

Konnor

Sounds good, I will definitely be trying this. I have a white one and I've been too scared to wash it yet. I've had it since July and it's a little gross lol. Thanks for your help Cody Jess!

--Konnor
"It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more manhood to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind." --Alex Karras
  •