Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does Judaism accept ts/tg?

Started by Bellaon7, October 21, 2009, 10:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellaon7

•  

Laura Nin

Reform Judaism does in fact accept the whole alphabet soup of our kind.  They even created a special ceremony for changing gender, where you receive a new Hebrew name and are considered a woman.  I believe it also works for FTM, I know there is at least one FTM rabbi.

I will be having my ceremony after I come back from Montréal where I am having my surgery.
  •  

Nina Podolskaya

reform does,but i'm not sure about conservative movement,and as we know,modern orthodox and hasidims won't accept....
  •  

henrytwob

Yes, the reform arm of the Jewish fatih is an open and accepting faith. I did not know they perform another naming ceremony if you transition. Good to know.. Do yo have anymore info on the ftm rabbi?
  •  

Stephanie.Izann

The Reconstructionist movement also openly does too.  :)
  •  

PrincessLeiah

You're darn right we do, Stephanie! We've also got a couple of trans rabbinical students :)
  •  

LukeDAP

I've always wondered about this, but never found much info! Then again, I've never searched too hard.

I'm not religious at all, but I have this... fascination? interest? with Judaism. The Jewish culture is something I love.

So thanks for these posts! :D I'm glad to know that it's possible to be accepted within the Jewish community!
  •  

rachel89

Reform is accepting, reconstructionist is accepting, conservative (we go anywhere from reform who like to be a little more traditional in ritual to Orthodox who break the rule about driving on Shabbat) may or may not be accepting. But even in a liberal congregation there can be some people who are jerks when it comes to lgbt+ issues. I am not out yet so I don't know how my Conservative shul will react (some good, some bad probably). I would love to be an eshet chayil but seems impossible right now.

•  

femmebutt

Quote from: LukeDAP on February 16, 2015, 12:23:38 AM
...I'm not religious at all, but I have this... fascination? interest? with Judaism...

clearly! nice avatar :)
hybrid
  •  

rachel89

I've had that fascination with Judaism  for much of my life. When I was much younger, I remember being very interested when anything related to Judaism was discussed and I was always personally offended by antisemitic comments people would occasionally make. There was one racist, anti-semitic putz in high-school who thought I was Jewish. He was right, I started attending shul in my first semester of college and converted a couple years later. I have found that the Jewish culture is the only where place I fit in and feel slightly normal. I heard an interesting concept that people who convert to Judaism were always Jews on the inside, and its not like we go out trying to get people to join the tribe (okay, in a mixed marriage, sometimes the non-Jewish spouse will convert).

•  

spooky

Does anyone have any insight on trans people covering to Judaism? I have been told that it may not be possible due particularly to the part where you are given a gender-specific ritual bath.
:icon_chick:
  •  

rachel89

I don't think it should be that much of a problem in a liberal community, but I understand how mikvah could be awkward for a transgender person and people not used to being around trans people. There are LGBT shuls in very large cities, and they would probably be the most understanding of this situation. Also, I am no sure about pre-op trans-women and ritual circumcision though. In our case, the average mohel probably won't cut it ;D

•  

rachel89

Nina, I clicked on your facebook link, and it shows we have a mutual friend. I met him and his wife a few years ago. They are also converts and quite frum. I didn't think it would be possible to play Jewish geography here, but I guess it is;)

•