Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Are you "OUT" in your church or religious organisation?

Started by stephanie_craxford, June 27, 2006, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a member of the trans community are you OUT in your church/religion

Yes
No
Plan to come out

stephanie_craxford

We seem to have quite a few members of different religious faiths here at Susan's, so have you or would you come out to your church, and what were the results.  Also if you have not, why not?

Steph
  •  

Melissa

Well, I came out to the church I used to go to and they told me not to come back.  I started going recently to another church as female who accepts TS just fine.  Well, I wasn't as obvious as I thought, since some people had originally assumed I was GG until I told them.  Now about half the people know I'm TS (several of them in my support group).

Melissa
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: tinkerbell on June 27, 2006, 10:21:46 PM
I'm a catholic and I've been out to my local church for several years now.  At first it was difficult to attend mass as Robin (my real name) since everyone there knew me when I was in my male shell.  The parish priest used to know me by my former name years ago, and when I told him who I was,  he didn't want to believe it.  "you can't be him", he said.  All I said was "you know father, you're right, I was never him".  After that he started using feminine pronouns without my telling him so, and things are now as normal as they can be.  No problems whatsoever!!!

tinkerbell

For a number of reasons, I will be leaving my parish when I come out.  I will tell my pastor what is going on and I think he will be okay.

In Syracuse, NY, there is a parish that celebrates an LGBT liturgy twice a month.  This same parish also hosts a local transgender support group.  Tenatively, that is where I will be worshiping and hope to continue my music ministry. 

Chaunte
  •  

Melissa

I understand Chaunte.  Why be with a church that merely tolerates you, when you can be with one that accepts you?

Melissa
  •  

Robyn

Recovering Catholic who is a member of Unity (not Unitarian).

Came out within a few months of joining our local congregation in 1997.  The then-minister was instrumental in my decision to surrender and go full time in 98.  Married in that church before my husband or I had our surgery.  Sending in my monthly contribution even though 2400 miles from home for nigh on a year and a half.  I occasionally attend Unity here in VA, and they know all about Robyn, too. 

Unity is very GLBT friendly.

Robyn
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: reikirobyn on June 28, 2006, 12:37:47 PM
Unity is very GLBT friendly.

Unity is the church I used to go to before I was told not to come there after coming out.  I disagree with you.

Melissa
  •  

stephanie_craxford

It may be of use to our members if we could collect a list of addresses of GLBT friendly churches.  We could then put the list in the Wiki, and if the church/parish had a web site publish the link in the Links section.

Steph
  •  

Chaunte

Steph,

THat is a GREAT idea!  Do you want them as PM's or as postings?

Chaunte
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey there Chaunte.

I would suggest they be included in a posting then they would be immediately available to all, including the links, and wiki staffs.

Steph
  •  

Chaunte

St. Andrew the Apostle

Address 124 Alden St
Syracuse, NY   13210
Parish Office: (315) 476-8656
Email: standrewtheapostle@verizon.net
Homepage: http://www.catholic-church.org/standrew
Pastor: Fr. James D. Mathews
Receptionist:  Jane Christiansen, 476-8656

Members:  450
Households:  175
Established:  1954
Corporation:  Church of St. Andrew the Apostle
Sunday Mass:  4:15 PM Saturday Vigil. 11 AM Sunday
Daily Mass:  contemplative prayer Thursdays 7:30 AM
Handicapped:  Elevator
Additional Info:  Mass for Gay and Lesbian Community 1st & 3rd Sunday, 5 PM
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: cindianna_jones on July 03, 2006, 05:10:51 AM
Hey gang,

I attended a church in Salt Lake City when I had no where else to go.  It was the Metropolitan Community Church....

For a second there I thought you were going to say that you attended a Mormon church.  That would have been interesting :)

Steph

P.S. I was baptized as a Mormon, yep I'm a Later Day Saint :)
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I think their exclusionary ways, was one of the reasons that I stopped going to church and lost all faith in god and those faiths that purported to serve god.

Steph
  •  

RebeccaFog

I found this church because I was scouring old backwards Plymouth for signs of TGs other than myself. The Unitarian Universalists had a wide open congregation. I even discovered one other TS. Single and married Gays & Lesbians are welcome too.

A Unitarian Universalism Congregation

Welcome to First Parish Church!

First Parish Church in Plymouth is the oldest continuous church in New England.

Reverend Sarah Clark
First Parish Church
19 Town Square
Plymouth, MA 02360 USA
508-747-1606
minister@plymouthuu.org

Kym Johnson
Director of Religious Education
First Parish Church
19 Town Square
Plymouth, MA 02360 USA
508-747-1606
kymwhitney@hotmail.com

http://cms.plymouthuu.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

•  

Scott

I am a Christian and had been a member of my church for 5 years when I finally made the decision to transition. I had had numerous discussions with my minister (I'd actually talked with 3-4 ministers over the course of my life) about my situation. He had always been supportive of my desire to be whole. Actually all the ministers I'd talked with had.

I'd come to a point where I'd decided I was either going to do it or never think about it again. So I prayed a lot about it and decided to open up to some members of my church that I trusted and respected and asked what they thought. They were very supportive. So they whatched as my changes happened, called me by my new name (the pronoun change took a little longer, but they got it!) and now everything is back to normal, with one member a whole lot happier. I was surprised at how well the children did. They were much quicker with the pronouns. Parent would tell me the questions their kids asked and it was so cute and innocent.  Except for several members that left the church because of this, I think everyone did exceptionally well. They stood behind me and I will always be grateful for that.

I believe God has been with my through every step of my life (read Psalm 139) and I praise Him for helping me through this journey. He gave me angels to help make my load lighter and my path easier.

Scott
  •