Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

MTF's and male privilege

Started by MaggieB, December 14, 2009, 10:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K8

I don't know if things have changed, but I remember reading studies done 20 or 30 years ago that showed grade school teachers tended to call on and encourage boys while discounting and partially ignoring girls.  At that same time, there were studies that showed this kind of behavior from parents and other care-givers during children's pre-school years.

Generally, it starts pretty early.  And generally, people aren't consciously aware of it.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Dianna

I still say it is interesting to witness the viewpoints here, I still don't agree with all views.

Maybe young people should listen to these two video's below. Part 1 and Part 2 of Kim's story.

PART 1 :

PART 2:

That sums it up in my belief, there is NO male privledge for MTF and NO female privledge for MTF.

Thank you.

Dianna.

(This girl Kim was televised on a national television program here in Australia on one of out 'free to air' channels.)
  •  

Alyssa M.

??? ??? ???

Kim Petras is hardly representative -- she transitioned really early. Existential quantifiers and universal quantifiers are not the same.

Female privilege doesn't exist in Western society. That's just a total misunderstanding of what privilege means, which I suspect is a big part of the reason you disagree.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Dianna

I am saying and stating how it was and is for me, other people have another viewpoint, we live in a country that  has 'freedom of speech' that's all.
  •  

Alyssa M.

No problem. I'm happy to hear people's points of view, as long as people aren't being abusive. That's the whole point of discussing topics around privilege. I try not to be, though I know I can get sarcastic. I apologize for whenever I have sounded that way. I was just really baffled by your reasoning in that post.

By the way, I've seen that program before, and really enjoyed it despite the many cheesy television cliches. Videoconferencing via dial-up modem!? Wow!!! :o By the way, it's a rare chance to hear Kim Petras' wonderful voice, undefiled by pitch correction software (at 1:50 in the second video). Kudos to them for the lack of pronoun failure! And I LOVED how they presented the anti-trans guy's arguments. He spoke his peace, and made himself look like a complete ass, when contrasted against Petras' life. Thank you for the reminder (even if I didn't understand how it related to what you were saying). :)
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Dianna

That guy that spoke up (Catholic) when cornered had NO answer.

I am a lapsed, lapsed catholic.   But I'll say this, in the 70's when I was married, 'twas a roman catholic church, only to keep my mother happy.

About the only time in my life I have worn 'all white', I detest white alone.
  •  

Dianna

You are most welcome Matilda.  :)

Now a saying that I picked up in the States when a tourist in the 80's.

'Have a nice day'.

It's 20 past one in the afternoon here...   ;)
  •  

randi1214

Quote from: Maggie Kay on December 15, 2009, 03:46:48 PM
I think this explains why some natal women are hostile towards transwomen. They see us as usurping femininity as another aspect of male privilege as unwelcome men barging into the women's club. I think my wife is squarely in this camp and she resents me for it.

Maggie
Oh Maggie, You hit my tuning fork with a sledge hammer with this comment.  I went on hormone therapy to decrease my libido because my wife was always play hurt games with sex.  I didn't care that there would be feminizing effects because I was gender dysphoric.  But when I started to develope breast she was angry, and when I induced lactation, to reduce my 75% plus probability of breast cancer, she went ballistic. I had crossed over into a womans area that I had no business entering.  The sacrosanct womans private domain.

Randi1214
  •  

Dianna

Lord only knows if this is a suitable thread to put a pic of my wedding day up in 1971.

Dianna & Brian

I also did some catwalk modelling around that time.
  •  

pretty pauline

Its a very pretty wedding photo Dianna, Brian is so handsome and your a very pretty girl, you don't have to answer personal questions but are you still married, did your husband except your situation, gosh I could start a whole new thread on trans girls getting married, what about Male Privilege in a marriage.
The reason Im asking Im engaged to my boyfriend and probably get married sometime next year, was to get married earlier this year but put things off for him to think things out as I had tolded him about my past.
Resently we where just discussing getting married, he is a very traditional guy bit old fashion in ways, discussing roles in marriage, in a joking and teasing way he seems to think household chores, polishing, cleaning dusting, cooking, washing and ironing is ''woman's work'' I know when I was growing up my Mother did absolutely everything. But things where different back then.

I know we can't have everything our own way, give and take all round, but I just can't see my Fiancé doing any of that boring women household chores stuff, when I do become his Wife I'II probably do all that stuff or ''woman's work'' as he calls it, cleaning cooking and ironing etc but I don't mind, thats the way things are. He does respect me as a woman and treats me like a lady.
Im really looking forward to getting married, I have my dress picked out, hope to have the whole fairy tale, beautiful bouquet, flowers in my headress, it really is a girl's big day, Im looking forward to it.
p
If your going thru hell, just keep going.
  •  

Dianna

Quote from: pretty pauline on December 19, 2009, 04:42:21 PM
Its a very pretty wedding photo Dianna, Brian is so handsome and your a very pretty girl, you don't have to answer personal questions but are you still married, did your husband except your situation, gosh I could start a whole new thread on trans girls getting married, what about Male Privilege in a marriage.
The reason Im asking Im engaged to my boyfriend and probably get married sometime next year, was to get married earlier this year but put things off for him to think things out as I had tolded him about my past.
Resently we where just discussing getting married, he is a very traditional guy bit old fashion in ways, discussing roles in marriage, in a joking and teasing way he seems to think household chores, cleaning dusting, cooking, washing and ironing is ''woman's work'' I know when I was growing up my Mother did absolutely everything. But things where different back then.

I know we can't have everything our own way, give and take all round, but I just can't see my Fiancé doing any of that stuff, when I do become his Wife I'II probably do all that stuff or ''woman's work'' as he calls it, but I don't mind, thats the way things are. He does respect me as a woman and treats me like a lady.
Im really looking forward to getting married, I have my dress picked out, hope to have the whole fairy tale, beautiful bouquet, flowers in my headress, it really is a girl's big day.
p

No Pauline, I was divorced in 1980 and apart from personality clashes being a big factor, he once stated in a heated argument "You are no good for me, you can't have children!!!!"   That was the biggest slap in the face back then for a long time, he did know re my trans when we were married.
  •  

Asfsd4214

Quote from: Dianna on December 18, 2009, 07:25:44 PM
I still say it is interesting to witness the viewpoints here, I still don't agree with all views.

Maybe young people should listen to these two video's below. Part 1 and Part 2 of Kim's story.
<editedoutforspace>

That sums it up in my belief, there is NO male privledge for MTF and NO female privledge for MTF.

Thank you.

Dianna.

(This girl Kim was televised on a national television program here in Australia on one of out 'free to air' channels.)

Oh yay, I uploaded that. Really happy to see people posting it.  ;D
  •  

sarahm

I personally hate it when people pull out the whole, "Your a guy so you have no idea what it's like" OR "Your a guy, that is why this person listened to you and not me" I hate being singled out as a male. I really Hate it with a passion. But none the less, I do not accept that males have seniority over females. I personally believe that Females have more control over males then they really think. But That is my opinion.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Well, you're not supposed to like it. If someone says that, it's unlikely they are trying to stroke your ego.

But if you're pre-transition and not out, they probably have no idea how much it hurts, even if it's false, but especially if it's true, by reinforcing their perception of you as male.

- Anatole France
  •