Started by Butterfly, December 19, 2009, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

U.K. Court Rules Against Christian Who Refused to Conduct Gay Ceremony
The Gospel Herald
By Ethan Cole
Christian Today Reporter
Sat, Dec, 19 2009 10:22 AM PT

http://www.gospelherald.net/article/international/45876/u-k-court-rules-against-christian-who-refused-to-conduct-gay-ceremony.htm

A London court of appeals ruled Tuesday against a Christian registrar who refused to conduct a same-sex civil union ceremony because it violated her religious beliefs.

Lillian Ladele claimed she suffered discrimination, including being ridiculed and bullied, while working for the Islington City Council. Ladele had worked for the council for nearly 16 years, but did not experience discrimination until after she refused to perform the gay civil union.
  •  

Allamakee

From the headline, I assumed that it involved a Christian minister who refused to conduct a religious service.  If that were actually the case, it would be wrong.

But the case involves a government employee who refused to serve the public, citing personal beliefs.  Of course, everyone is entitled to their personal beliefs, but if those beliefs interfere with doing the work you are asked to do then the sensible, and honorable, thing to do is to resign. A Muslim butcher who was asked to handle pork would likely quit, if s/he took their faith seriously.  I don't see how this situation is any different.
  •  

LordKAT

I guess my feeling is that the couple should have been refered to a co-worker. Since when does my religion or lack of make a qualification for the job. If I don't want religion to be a cause to discriminate against me, it shouldn't  be for anyone else either.
  •  

Cindy Stephens

I don't think that any church should be forced to perform a gay marriage.  But that isn't what this is about.  The couple was seeking their rights under the law.  If the registrar can not accept that, then they should resign.  Why should this couple be humiliated by the registrar?  "Sorry, I can't handle fagg_ts, let me find a heathen Satan worshiper for you."?  As soon as you give religious Government officials discretion, then activists will try to push the envelope. 
  •  

Kurzar

What should have happened was that the couple be referred to another person in the dept who had no issue with it. Now, this person who was the one who refused to do it needs to realize that this is going to be apart of their job and if they can't stand to do it then they might be better suited for something else. You can't work in a position that calls for doing something that is against your beliefs and then just ignore the rules when you are there to uphold them...especially if it's a gov't position!
  •