News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Group overusing the 'men invading women's restrooms' lie in Florida

Started by Allamakee, February 17, 2010, 07:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allamakee

Group overusing the 'men invading women's restrooms' lie in Florida
Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters (LGBT website)
by Alvin McEwen
February 17, 2010

http://holybulliesandheadlessmonsters.blogspot.com/2010/02/group-overusing-men-invadingwomens.html

In Gainesvile, FL, a group calling itself the Concerned Citizens of Gainesville are trying to keep Craig Lowe from becoming Mayor. They have two problems with him.

First that he is openly gay. Secondly that he helped to lead the effort to defeat a repeal of an anti-discrimination law last year. The repeal effort lost by a huge majority (61 percent). And what's more interesting is that supporters of the repeal (the losers) used the tired talking point of how the law would lead to men invading women's restrooms.

(NB: article has image of a transphobic poster which attacks Lowe)

•  

LordKAT

•  

spacial

At the risk of over stating the obvious solution to this, and many other problems associated with public toilets.

Unisex toilets.

That sounds a bit arrogant to be honest. But it's such a simple notion. It's certainly catching on, albeit, slowly, over here.
  •  

SarahFaceDoom

Most places it makes no sense to not have it just be a unisex bathrroom.  Like in the case where it's just one toliet and on door that locks, that should be a unisex toliet.

I think we spend way too much time being nervous about toliets though to be honest.
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: spacial on February 18, 2010, 05:39:17 AM
At the risk of over stating the obvious solution to this, and many other problems associated with public toilets.

Unisex toilets.

That sounds a bit arrogant to be honest. But it's such a simple notion. It's certainly catching on, albeit, slowly, over here.
No! Dammit, that is not the answer!  The answer is to pass the ordinance and just get on with life.

In EVERY location that has passed non-discrimination ordinances NOT ONE incident of harassment has ever occurred!  EVERY SINGLE ONE!  NOTHING, NADA, ZIP!

By providing unisex facilities or ordaining that such facilities must be used, you are inviting discrimination.  What if you walked into a toilet for the gender you present and you are confronted and forced to use the unisex facility because you aren't girly/manly enough?  What about the butch women or fem males?  Would they be forced to these toilets just because they do not present well enough?

There have been incidents where, for example, butch women have been ejected from the ladies toilet because some security clown thought they were male.

No, the answer is just do it and move on.  Eventually people learn that this is a stupid insane argument and the putrid, prurient, bible thumping reich becomes a toothless dog baying at the moon.

Spacial, I don't mean to call you out nor am I angry or trying to flame you.  But this line of reasoning has been proposed by others and really detracts from the whole idea of non-discrimination.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •