Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Denver Archdiocese bars child from school: lesbian moms 'not living in accord w/

Started by Butterfly, March 08, 2010, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

Denver Archdiocese bars child from school: lesbian moms 'not living in accord w/Catholic teaching'
Pam's House Blend
by:  Pam Spaulding
Mon Mar 08, 2010 at 12:30:00 PM EST

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/15450/denver-archdiocese-bars-child-from-school-lesbian-moms-not-living-in-accord-wcatholic-teaching

"No person shall be admitted as a student in any Catholic school unless that person and his/her parent(s) subscribe to the school's philosophy and agree to abide by the educational policies and regulations of the school and Archdiocese.  Homosexual couples living together as a couple are in disaccord with Catholic teaching... "Parents living in open discord with Catholic teaching in areas of faith and morals unfortunately choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment."
    -- statements made by the Archdiocese of Denver. Archdiocese spokeswoman Jeanette R. De Melo didn't return calls or e-mails inquiring whether students whose parents are divorced, non-Catholic or used fertility medication also are not allowed to attend the preschool.

And the church and school, Sacred Heart of Jesus preschool in Boulder, have the constitutional right to do this -- they have the religious freedom to discriminate against an innocent child.
  •  

Britney_413

I think it is high time that a rather simple solution is implemented about this problem. Churches can certainly be allowed to discriminate and push their views onto the public but at the same time they lose their tax-exempt status. Churches complain that other groups of people such as GLBT have or want "special status." I think it is high time we stop giving churches special status and start taxing them like any other business because as far as I'm concerned, they pretty much are a business.
  •  

gennee

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

tekla

I don't care what they do, as long as they don't want to do it to me, on me, for me or with me.  They can keep the tax exempt deal for all I care, but it would be nice if they played by the rules.  But it's high time to pull it for all the other stuff, the political stuff, the business stuff, the real estate stuff.  Ya' know, the money.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: tekla on March 10, 2010, 10:02:15 PM
I don't care what they do, as long as they don't want to do it to me, on me, for me or with me.  They can keep the tax exempt deal for all I care, but it would be nice if they played by the rules.  But it's high time to pull it for all the other stuff, the political stuff, the business stuff, the real estate stuff.  Ya' know, the money.

Heavens!  What would Jesus do!

-Sandy(who were those money changer guys?)
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

tekla

Jesus would be hating on these people, we all know that.  He'd be hanging with the good old boys, have a Harley, drink beer and fish (he liked fishing).  I'm sure he wouldn't be in some expensive suit wearing a Rolex on his TV show.  Nor would he be in some private jet.  Bet he wouldn't even own a car, Jesus would be a mountain bike guy I bet.  Or a truck.  I can see Jesus in a pickup, lots of carpenters have pickups.  He'd vacation at CaboWabo or Sturgus, watch football, and bet in the pool for March Madness, and he'd be the first guy to buy a round on Friday afternoon.  He'd hang at Burning Man, Coachillia, strip clubs and dives.  You would not catch him dead at some fancy church.

We know he tended to hang with the sinners, not the saints.

He be just a guy.

(The following is courtesy of Mojo Nion and the late, great and much missed Country Dick Montana - both of whom are big sinners.)

I saw you sittin' there
I was tryin' not to stare
I wasn't sure if it was you
I didn't know just what to do

CHORUS
Are you drinkin' with me Jesus
I can't see you very clear
Would you buy a friend a beer

As I nestled on my barstool
I felt your warmness within
I looked down at my pants
That wasn't warmness
I wet myself again

CHORUS

Does your head pound, Jesus
As hung over you do rise
How does paradise look, Jesus
Through holy bloodshot eyes

Should we take a cab home Jesus
Man, we can hoof it from here
I know you can walk on the water
But can you walk on this much beer

I can't see you very clear

* - Jesus would find that line just as funny as I do.
  •  

placeholdername

That's what makes it so sad, how disappointed Christ would be with Christianity.
  •  

tekla

Well, Gandhi (no slouch on religion stuff that Gandhi cat) once said:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

So, you're not alone in that.
  •  

spacial

•  

Britney_413

Supposedly churches are also considered "charities" which is also why they receive non-profit and tax-exempt status. I really don't see why churches qualify as charities either. While most of them have a few programs such as feeding the homeless, the bulk of the money that goes into the churches stays in the churches, and certainly does not go back out into the community. My understanding also is that when you donate to political campaigns, the money is not tax deductable because the campaigns are endorsing candidates and/or influencing decisions in government. I don't see why churches shouldn't be held to the same requirement. While they may not come out and directly endorse a candidate with the use of the funds donated, they certainly do manipulate the minds of the people who attend into believing certain things and subscribing to certain politics who then of course take that with them to the voting booth later on.

While I understand that Christianity is a big part of American culture and that church is important to a large number of Americans, people need to understand the importance of separation of Church and State. While people have the freedom to form their own groups such as religious bodies, when they start running them like businesses, then that is how they should be treated. Businesses are required to have a level of transparency with regards to their funds for tax purposes. Since churches are tax-exempt and non-profit, they aren't required to be as open about their books as an incorporated business is. I personally believe that a lot of churches are really little more than tax shelters and money laundering schemes disguised as some community religious body that does a little bit of good. When you add up the amount of churches in society and then examine the results of any so-called charity or value to the community they claim to add, I really don't see any.

Simply put, stop treating them as charities and start taxing them. Plus, if they choose to operate it like a business (which most do), then require them to follow the same laws as business do including non-discrimination laws as well as transparency with their bookkeeping.
  •  

LordKAT

Organized religion is tax exempt to that the state can have no control over them. It deals with the separation of church and state not charity status.
  •  

Autumn

How can the Catholic Church punish those kids because their parents are gay? All the priests are.
  •  

LordKAT

Priests are pedophiles when they molest children, not necessarily gay. Not all priests are bad, misinformed perhaps, but not bad.
  •  

SarahFaceDoom

Surprised anyone would WANT to send their children to a catholic school with all of the rampant pedophilia and cover up in that church.

IMO the Church shouldn't be allowed to have schools with children in it.  They are more dangerous with children than any gay couple has ever been perported to be.
  •  

armozel

I say then the members of that Catholic community should be ostracized by every other institution that does support its GLBT members/customers. "Oh you're a Catholic from that parish? Sorry, I can't sell you these groceries then..."
  •  

Britney_413

Maybe discrimination should work in both directions, then. For instance, this reminds me of some of the "blue laws" that some states have such as my own where alcohol sales are restricted during church hours on Sunday (not before 10 am on Sunday here). Someone said something along these lines, "If Christians expect bars and liquor stores to stop providing alcohol during church hours then perhaps drinkers should expect churches to stop serving Christians the rest of the time."
  •