Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Wheel of Time

Started by Samantha_Peterson, March 20, 2010, 07:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samantha_Peterson

Quote from: casorce on April 07, 2010, 06:20:17 PM
Have you read Lord of the Rings?
If not, I strongly suggest you do - it's the forerunner of modern fantasy.

I tried reading it but it just got annoying to me with the way every detail was told. It left little to the imagination.

Though back to the Wheel of Time, you have to admit that Matrim Cauthon was one of Jordan's better characters.
  •  

casorce

Quote from: Samantha_Peterson on April 07, 2010, 06:24:16 PM
I tried reading it but it just got annoying to me with the way every detail was told. It left little to the imagination.
On the contrary; I found that it left plenty to the imagination and Tolkien was a linguistic mastermind, so it was a pleasure reading his descriptions.

QuoteThough back to the Wheel of Time, you have to admit that Matrim Cauthon was one of Jordan's better characters.
Actually, I thought he was a non-character who contributed nothing to the storyline.
  •  

LordKAT

I'[m with Samantha on Lord of the Rings.

Good story, bad writing.
  •  

Samantha_Peterson

Quote from: casorce on April 07, 2010, 06:28:57 PM
Actually, I thought he was a non-character who contributed nothing to the storyline.

I thought he was one of the more important characters though I can see what you are getting at. It depends on whether or not you expect the contributions to be grand events or smaller things such as finding the Gholam, rescuing Moiraine(eventually), causing the emergence of Padan Fain, creating the Band of the Red Hand, and other small areas of importance. Or you could count the one large event of marrying the Daughter of the Nine Moons.
  •  

Vanessa_yhvh

Zelazny's Amber novels FTW
  •  

Shang

Quote from: Samantha_Peterson on March 20, 2010, 07:45:05 PM
Has anyone read this series? I have to say it is one of my favorite series of all time.

I got through book 4 or 5 of the series before I moved and I couldn't find the books!  I enjoyed what I read for the most part, though the length of the books seemed to be a bit much and how it seemed to take forever to do one simple thing.

The books got about 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 for me, though.
  •  

LynnER

I've not read the wheel of time yet. But as Brian Sanderson (a favorite author of mine) is the one finishing the series by request of the late Robert Jordian's wife (if I remember correctly) I think I'll give it a shot.  If its a story Brian thinks is worth finishing it must have good potential.
  •