Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Wheel of Time

Started by Samantha_Peterson, March 20, 2010, 07:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samantha_Peterson

Has anyone read this series? I have to say it is one of my favorite series of all time.
  •  

Kay

It used to be a favorite of mine.  The first few books were ok...if a little slow getting started. Books 5-7 were the best. 10 though...in my opinion...is just about the worst book ever written.  I stopped reading the series after I slogged my way through that one.   The last book (12?)  was written by Brandon Sanderson rather than Jordan...and from what I've heard, it's quite good.  Book 14 is planned to be the last...so this long running series finally has an end in sight.  With the change in author, I'm thinking I might actually give this series a try again.
As far as favorite series?  Personally I'm a bit partial to R.A. Salvatore and his Drizzt books.  "The Drow Trilogy" is probably my favorite.
  •  

Samantha_Peterson

Quote from: Kay on March 20, 2010, 08:58:42 PM
It used to be a favorite of mine.  The first few books were ok...if a little slow getting started. Books 5-7 were the best. 10 though...in my opinion...is just about the worst book ever written.  I stopped reading the series after I slogged my way through that one.   The last book (12?)  was written by Brandon Sanderson rather than Jordan...and from what I've heard, it's quite good.  Book 14 is planned to be the last...so this long running series finally has an end in sight.  With the change in author, I'm thinking I might actually give this series a try again.
As far as favorite series?  Personally I'm a bit partial to R.A. Salvatore and his Drizzt books.  "The Drow Trilogy" is probably my favorite.

Is that the one with one of the books called exile/exiled? If so then I have read that trilogy myself and say it is quite good.

Also, the change in author happened because Robert Jordan died before he could finish his last book.
  •  

LivingInGrey

I tried to read the first book of this series, but couldn't make it past the first few pages. I think i still have a small portion of this series on digital format... Maybe I'll try again, starting with book 5 this time.
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Kay

Samantha:  Yes, it is:  Homeland, Exile, & Sojourn.
LivingInGrey:  I'm not sure how that would work out...starting at book 5.  Unlike Salvatore's books that are an encapsulated story within each book or each trilogy, Jordan's "Wheel of Time" is an ongoing serial...so characters and events from books long past will be referrenced or hinted at, and if you haven't read the previous ones, you'll probably be left not quite knowing what's going on.  (aside from the overt actions and storyline that is)
  •  

Fenrir

Had a friend who absolutely loved these books, so he got me to read the first 4. I thought they had some pretty good characters, but others that just were a drag to read about, so I gave up.
Quote from: Kay on March 20, 2010, 08:58:42 PMBooks 5-7 were the best.
Was it a bad idea to give up at that point then?  :D
  •  

Jasmine.m

I stopped reading them around book 8 after Jordon died. I heard that the series would continue without him, but I figured I'd wait until the last book finally came out (in case it didn't). They're pretty in depth books that require a lot of attention! But they are great.

I played the WoT PC game that came out a while ago. It was pretty good!
  •  

Kimberly-S

I absolutely love the Wheel of Time books, so far I have only read the frist 7 books but they have quickly become one of my favorite series, Im rashoning out the last few books because I dont want them to end hehe.
  •  

casorce

Unfortunately, I've read then.

To be brutally honest, they would be better off named "Waste of Time".
It's the incredibly re-hashed tale of boy-from-the-idyllic-country-town-becomes-special-meets-cool-adventurers-and-kills-lots-of-bad-guys.
Jordan's writing style is juvenile, repetitive and sluggish.
His ideas, while interesting, suffer massively from his bad characterisation and poor writing. He throws in new magical items and new powers with more gusto than the much maligned Anita Blake books - or even Harry Potter.
I suffered through all 11 of the books (fool that I was) in the hope of getting a conclusion to this ill-written, slip-shod fantasy rip-off.
Alas, then Jordan died, leaving his marvel of mediocrity unfinished.

I won't be buying the new books (there will be three, I've heard), unless Tolkien himself rises from the grave and proclaims them to be awesomeness on a stick.
  •  

Nicky

I sort of liked it at first. First few books were good and then it kind of lost it's way. Did jordan fire his editor or something? (actually I think he did).  He ended up like a dog chasing his own tail.

It got frustrating. The characters are stupid. Too many fingers in the pie. Too many threads. Too many add on characters. Sigh. It is rather epic though. I am on about book 9, but it has fallen to the wayside.

•  

Samantha_Peterson

Oh well, it seems I am outnumbered. I still like it even though it does get confusing at some points, though I guess it is a bit like the TV show Lost. You gotta pay attention to everything in order to understand it.
  •  

Nicky

I would like to see it through to the end though, how it all works out.

I think the issue for me is all the characters are in frustrating situations and I pick up on that. It is relentless. They need to 'win' a bit more often.
  •  

casorce

Quote from: Samantha_Peterson on April 07, 2010, 05:57:04 PM
Oh well, it seems I am outnumbered. I still like it even though it does get confusing at some points, though I guess it is a bit like the TV show Lost. You gotta pay attention to everything in order to understand it.

Have you read many other fantasy epics?
(i.e. Lord of the Rings, the Elric saga, the Deryni novels, Riftwar saga, Mistress of the Empire trilogy, War of Light and Shadow to name a few)
  •  

Nicky

I loved the mistress of the empire trilogy. More so than the rift war saga (though magician was an ace book, I just think Feist should have stopped there)

The worst fantasy trilogy has to be the thomas covanant stuff. I just hated the main character from the start.

My person fav are the Robin Hobbs books.
  •  

casorce

Quote from: Nicky on April 07, 2010, 06:11:52 PM
I loved the mistress of the empire trilogy. More so than the rift war saga (though magician was an ace book, I just think Feist should have stopped there)

Feist has good ideas, but lacks maturity as a writer.
Whereas Janny Wurts is an adept writer.

QuoteThe worst fantasy trilogy has to be the thomas covanant stuff. I just hated the main character from the start.

You're supposed to - that's the point, he's a wretched, horrible human being.
  •  

Samantha_Peterson

Quote from: casorce on April 07, 2010, 06:03:07 PM
Have you read many other fantasy epics?
(i.e. Lord of the Rings, the Elric saga, the Deryni novels, Riftwar saga, Mistress of the Empire trilogy, War of Light and Shadow to name a few)

How about every single book by Mercedes Lackey?
  •  

casorce

Quote from: Samantha_Peterson on April 07, 2010, 06:15:13 PM
How about every single book by Mercedes Lackey?

Never heard of her.
  •  

Samantha_Peterson

Quote from: casorce on April 07, 2010, 06:16:48 PM
Never heard of her.

Ah well. Her first book was in 1986 and she is still writing. Her largest series is the Heralds of Valdemar series.
  •  

casorce

Quote from: Samantha_Peterson on April 07, 2010, 06:18:51 PM
Ah well. Her first book was in 1986 and she is still writing. Her largest series is the Heralds of Valdemar series.

Have you read Lord of the Rings?
If not, I strongly suggest you do - it's the forerunner of modern fantasy.
  •  

Nicky

Quote from: casorce on April 07, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
You're supposed to - that's the point, he's a wretched, horrible human being.

I know, I just don't want to read about such a character.
  •