A woman with a unisex name
10 (6.9%)
A woman with a male name
9 (6.3%)
Other
4 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Crow

Hopefully those options are inclusive enough. If I left something out, I apologize in advance! (By the way, this is going by gender identity, in case there was any question there. No matter where you are in your transition or whether you're trans or cis, select what you identify as.)

I'm curious about you guys' name situations. We have lots of "how did you pick you name" type boards and I thought it would be interesting to do a poll to quantify some name statistics. (Also, I wonder if there's anyone else whose preferred name doesn't actually match their gender identity or if I'm really the oddball out.)

Feel free to post to elaborate on your answer. 83

As for me: I'm genderqueer/an androgyne/planning on transitioning partway from female to male, and I have a female name (Diane). It's a chosen name, oddly enough, but it's one I chose before the gender thing came up. I'm just too stubborn to let go of it in favor of a name that "fits" according to society's standards, because I'm really quite attached to my name.
Top Surgery Fund: $200/7,000
  •  

V M

I voted man with a male name

Just kidding... LOL... Look at me  :laugh:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

kyril

I'm a man of many names - I'll respond to pretty much whatever you decide to call me as long as you warn me first - but my chosen name is a fairly standard male name of Celtic extraction.

That being said, I still answer to my given first name (female, unisex in some places), my given middle name (extremely female), my previous chosen name (unisex), my childhood chosen name (male), my last name (unisex), my primary and secondary online pseudonyms (one male, one ambiguously female), and any of the several main character names in the several online games I've played (ambiguously male).

•  

Pica Pica

Androgyne with a male name, a male name I'm not even that keen on - very bland - but it's my name and we've come too far to split.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Silver

Well, I identify as male and my preferred name is male.

But I was born in a female body and given a female name. Exciting, no?
  •  

Erik

I'm not actually sure what my name's gender is.. My chosen name is Aryk ("Erik"), but my RL name is Kyra. :) So I went with my identified gender and chosen name. Male Erik. I'm pretty sure that a unisex name :)
"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."  ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
  •  

Elijah3291

I am a feminine man, and my name will officially be a mans name this friday!
  •  

Inphyy

My biological name is Micale (Muh-Kuh-L) and is unisex but depending on who says it can change that for example in Germany my name would typically be sounded out as (Mike-L) despite being unisex here in the U.S.

My middle name is Yubel (My current Susan's name) and is sounded out as (You-Vell) and it's origins are in Japan and it means jewel. Here in the U.S. it would be sounded out as (You-Bell) and my last name is Mishler which you can sound out for yourself but means last descendant of Michael.

So overall I have a unisex first name, feminine middle and I don't know about last...So I would be a woman with a unisex name! ^_^"
  •  

Zack

Dude with a male name.
"Politics is the art of controlling your environment."

•  

Miniar

Man with a woman's name.
Can't get rid of it 'till December at the earliest.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

insanitylives

technnally unisex, but heard more often in guys.
  •  

kae m

Female with a unisex name...generally more common as a female name where I am, though.
  •  

aydan_boy

Man with unisex name.
Kind of.
The short form is unisex, and is what i mostly go by, while the long version is male.
  •  

Yakshini

Man with a unisex name. The name I was given at birth is Shawn, and it is masculine enough where I don't feel the need to change my name. Although my middle name is Lorraine, which SERIOUSLY needs a changing.
  •  

Shang

Well...male with female name.

However, I'll answer to:

Sarah (given name)
Shang (nickname)
Gabriel (chosen name)
Gabe (nickname of the chosen name)
Nii-chan (only one person calls me this)
Hey, you!
Oi!
Pooky-poo (my mom -.-)
Snooky bottoms (my mom -.-)

So...I'll pretty much answer to just about anything and everything, as long as it's not derogatory.
  •  

Raven

Raven, my chosen name is unisexed. But I like it as it attunes with my dark nature heh. Connie my birth name is very much a females names ahhh. Ann is my birth middle name still very much an females name. As for my last I have no earthly idea if it's unisexed male or female heh. I haven't chose an new middle name for myself. But I prefer being called Raven but only my family can call me Connie as they don't yet know of my situation heh. But sometimes I kinda like the name Donnie heh idk I'm weird.
  •  

dustbunny

Androgyne with very very female name. I'm actually tolerant of the name. I don't think I would ever change it, but it does feel odd answering to it. It's like answering the phone for someone else.
  •  

Victor

Male with female legal name, however I've ALWAYS hated my given name.

Given Name: Heather (I haven't answered to that name since I was 16)

Assumed name from 16 til recent: Victoria (I ended up picking a name that could be converted to male, without even realizing I had done so at the time of picking it out)

Chosen name of recent time: Victor (Just used the male version of Victoria, easier that way and can still answer to Vic without any raised eyebrows)

Nicknames: Red (On account of my normally bright red dyed hair) Amazon (Falling out of use now that I'm transitioning, was due to my height) Wildfire (Nickname a friend gave me due to my temper, I kinda grew fond of it) Crazy Redheaded B------ (OK, I mighta, kinda, sorta earned that one due to the crazy stunts I've been known to pull >_>)

My assumed and chosen names are for a reason however, I picked them because they hold meaning to me, a sign that I survived, that I was 'victorious' over the challenges I have met with in my life, the name, in both the male and female form, how a lot of meaning to me due to that, thus why I'm using Victor as my legal, male name when I get to that point of transition.
Anything worth doing is going to be a challenge, after all, how can you feel proud of something that's just handed to you without some effort?
If I wanted the easy route I'd stick to being miserable, but that's just not my style.
  •  

Sarah B

Female with a unisex name is what I picked.  It was very common when I was born and that was extremely good luck on my part in picking it.  It is more common as a female name in my travels and I have not come across any males with my name.  Where I work there are three other females with the same name.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •