A woman with a unisex name
10 (6.9%)
A woman with a male name
9 (6.3%)
Other
4 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Julia1996

My mom actually suggested Julia. My boy name was Julian so Julia isn't that far off.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Winter02

Quote from: Erik on June 07, 2010, 07:53:06 PM
I'm not actually sure what my name's gender is.. My chosen name is Aryk ("Erik"), but my RL name is Kyra. :) So I went with my identified gender and chosen name. Male Erik. I'm pretty sure that a unisex name :)
Gaelic spelling, am I right?

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk

•  

Winter02

I consider mine to be androgynous, then again... i have relatives with names like "shadow", "night," and "ocean"... so idk

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk

•  

LaRae

I was fortunate enough to be given a unisex name at birth, & haven't felt any need to change it.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."
  •  

Kylo

I had a unisex name before, but I've decided to change it to another name that contains unisex and masculine names for use in various situations, a name with two middle names, should I decide to start using them informally in various situations. Unless it's an official situation where papers need to be presented I can use any one of these three as the offered or preferred name.

My reasoning behind this is that there are some people from the past whom I would very much rather never recognize me as who I "was", since they may well still be malevolent. Hence a change of official first name. Then the androgynous original name is in the middle if I want to use that with relatives, an undoubtedly and common masculine name is in there to use, and another different unisex name is in there to be used in case a situation calls for it.

My initials would now be: V. V. A. L. or V. L. for shorthand use.

I took a pragmatic approach and tried to cover all the bases and potential needs.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

itsApril

I was AMAB and given a recognizably male name I never liked, so I picked out a recognizably female name going into transition.  My goal was to blend into the herd, so I didn't want a name that would be startling or unusual for a woman of my age.

Math nerd that I am, I enlisted the help of statistics.  I looked up the most common names given to girls in my birth year.  (Thank you, Social Security Administration!)

I wanted to avoid being caught in the stampede of Jennifers and Nicoles and Ashleys from that year, so I bypassed the names at the top end of the list and picked out "April" at number 47.

1.  Recognizably female.

2.  Same initial letter as my given name, so I retain the same initials.

3.  Bonus: "April" suggests springtime, a time of a new beginning.  I was optimistic about transition.  And I was NOT disappointed!

At birth I was given the name "Andrew" (English form of the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which was derived from ανδρειος (andreios) "manly, masculine") by my well-intentioned but clueless parents.

Boy!  Were they ever WRONG!
-April
  •  

graspthesanity

I chose Jamie because it was unisex and I was questioning, but I liked it as a male name and so on while growing up, it seemed like the perfect male name to me. Then I realized that I was a binary trans man and I moved to Portugal where I use Jaime (different pronunciation) and it's strictly male and I'll use that spelling once I get to change my name :)

Margrit

•