Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Most trans-friendly city

Started by Kristyn, June 06, 2010, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristyn

I'm seriously thinking of moving after my surgery and the only place in Canada I would like to go is Montreal.  Everytime I've been to Montreal I've always been treated with respect and decency, but I'm getting older and I need somewhere warm, like Florida maybe.  Can one live comfortably in Miami on 40-50k per year?  I don't have much overhead, clothes mostly, but in a warmer climate I would not have to buy winter and fall clothing every year :)  Europe has always been an option as well, but I don't like what is going on with the economy there and social unrest seems to be growing.

So?  Any suggestions?  Warm, sunny, friendly, comfortable life with 40-50k per year income
  •  

tekla

Can one live comfortably in Miami on 40-50k per year?

Yes
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Arch

Is that before or after taxes?
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Kristyn

•  

Sarah B

Hi Kristyn

How about most friendliest place in the world?  I have heard Australia is a nice place to live and $50,000 ($1CAD = $0.89AU) would be a good figure to live on.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

lilacwoman

if its 50K pension then anyplace is affordable but if you need a job paying 50K better stay in USA.
Once you're post-op you're a woman and what reason would any city not welcome you?

•  

Frances

Montreal is very trans friendly. Socially, my transition here has been very easy, and even my "trans-identified" sisters have had no real problem either. Plus we have a very good SRS doctor (Brassard) and FFS doctor (Bensimon).

It's true that post-op with name and gender marker changed, one can live anywhere. But in Canada you get: gay marriages, a wide seperation between church and state, free access to medical services (including SRS in some provinces), gun control, cheap university tuitions, wide empty spaces... but lots of taxes!

LordKAT

Montreal is not a warmer place than Montreal tho which is what the OP is about.
  •  

justme19

Quote from: Sarah B on June 07, 2010, 02:34:30 AM
Hi Kristyn

How about most friendliest place in the world?  I have heard Australia is a nice place to live and $50,000 ($1CAD = $0.89AU) would be a good figure to live on.

Kind regards
Sarah B

+1  Us Aussies are so easy going :)
  •  

darklady

According to wikipedia Detroit is the most liberal city in the United States.  :)
  •  

LordKAT

Liberal doesn't always equal friendly.
  •  

Frances

Quote from: LordKAT on June 07, 2010, 06:49:07 AM
Montreal is not a warmer place than Montreal tho which is what the OP is about.

Thanks to global warming, Montreal is actually warmer than Montreal now!

LordKAT

Quote from: Frances on June 07, 2010, 07:03:25 AM
Thanks to global warming, Montreal is actually warmer than Montreal now!

Excellent, I will put it in my travel plans.  Now as to when that happens, I'm not sure.
  •  

FairyGirl

Quote from: justme19 on June 07, 2010, 06:49:56 AM
+1  Us Aussies are so easy going :)
I have to agree! So far I've never had a single problem there with anyone.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Breastquest

New Orleans is as loose as it gets. period.
  •  

justmeinoz

Here in Australia you are probably going to get hassled more for being an American than trans. 
Of course New Orleans is loose, it's just been oiled.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Kristyn

WOW!  Great replies so far!  I've always found Aussies to be nice and friendly, but I think I would really have to spend some time there before deciding to relocate there--it just seems so far away.

Montreal, as I mentioned earlier would be my first Canadian choice as Montrealers have always been friendly and outgoing.  It has a very European flair and I think that may have something to do with their positive attitudes.  Here in Toronto people are rather cold and unfriendly.  Not many people take care of themselves physically and they spend most of their time tearing others down and worrying about what others think of them.  It truly is a very sad city.  There is a joke that goes "how can you spot the Canadian lobster in the pot of boiling water?  He's the one pulling the escaping lobster back into the pot".

I've actually met quite a few nice people from Detroit and have been there a few times as I have relatives in Bloomfield Hills.  The economy and crime in the city is another story--and don't get me started on Quaami!

The southwestern and southeastern US has always had my eye.  I love the heat, the desert and the water.  Palm Springs, Palm Desert--YES!!!  Marina Del Ray---YES!!!  Los Angeles--on the fence with this place.  San Fran----YES!!!!

I love cajun food, jazz, blues and zydeco so Louisiana is a definate possibility.

I've really only been thinking about Florida as of late and that is primarily due to the folks I've had the opportunity to interact with on this forum who are from there.  The more I think about it, though, the more I really want to go there.  Perhaps I'll make Florida my first travel destination post surgery and experience it.  Also, scanning through their want ads I've seen quite a few openings for my field.

I've often thought about New York in the past but that place is turning into God knows what!  One can only imagine what one more terrorist attack will do to that city.  Besides, at the rate that city is growing, I think it will eventually fall into the East River.

Still a lot of time to contemplate and dream :)

Thanks All! 
  •  

Little Darkling

I can't vouch for anywhere except where I've lived all my life; Melbourne. People are friendly enough. :p

I really hope you find a place to settle, there's really nothing holding you back. World's an open book for you!
  •  

Deanna_Renee

Well, its not Florida, but Atlanta, GA is a very diverse and often friendly place to most people (trans or otherwise). Winters can get a bit chilly (mid 20's at the worst), but winter only seems to last a few weeks. The summers get quite hot (mid 90's to low 100's) and rather humid. The beaches of south GA and the FL panhandle are only about a 6-7 hour drive (and soon to be covered in oil - thanks BP).

I would suggest visiting first to see if you like it here. I prefer the suburbs to the city, but there are some in-city neighborhoods. Atlanta is a very sprawling city, so there are some hundreds of square miles of suburban ATL to explore. Oh, and there is no shortage of shopping and eating options - you would be hard-pressed to go 5 minutes in any direction without hitting a shopping center or restaurant. :) And $50k/yr is quite doable in a lot of areas. Other areas, $1,000,000/yr would put at the poverty level.
  •  

Evan

depends on where in Miami you're thinking about, and what your standard of living is? Kendall no problem, Gables good luck.. would you want to be part of the GLBTQ community? because south beach is not it anymore. fort lauderdale, wilton manor more precisely, is quickly taking over and is still reasonably priced unlike south beach.. if you like having one wardrobe, not one for each season, and you're up for 95 degree heat with humidity that hits you two steps out the door in summer.. there is no where better to live.. but then again I'm biased, ft lauderdale born and raised :)
  •