Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Most trans-friendly city

Started by Kristyn, June 06, 2010, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

You'd have to be pretty much crazy or a real visionary to move to most of Detroit, it's the most abandoned city in the US.  Huge tracts of land (estimates up to 1/3 of the property in the city) are pretty much devoid of people, as are many skyscrapers downtown.  However there are places where you can buy a house for as little as a dollar if you promise to move in and fix it up.  That can be a big deal however.
http://www.urbanhonking.com/actionitems/detroit_houses.jpg

If you google 'abandoned detroit' you'll get over a million hits.  Some of these sites are truly mind blowing.
http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=abandoned+d&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=abandoned+detroit

It's also very cold there in the winter.

Key West, or San Diego have near perfect weather year round.

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Binks

Omaha surprisingly its one of the most trans friendly cities in the country, Why no one cares we have support groups doctors that are friendly knowledgeable and caring towards trans issues. But we have roughly the same climate as Montreal.

My second recommendation would be Tucson with the kind of support available there not to mention SAGA being one of the coolest groups I have ever dealt with you can't go wrong oh yeah and my aunt is a psychiatrist there and she is fully trans friendly.
  •  

findingreason

Quote from: darklady on June 07, 2010, 06:50:52 AM
According to wikipedia Detroit is the most liberal city in the United States.  :)

I'd be avoiding that place too....it's also one of the most dangerous cities in the United States :o

•  

Kristyn

Quote from: Binks on June 08, 2010, 07:47:36 PM
Omaha surprisingly its one of the most trans friendly cities in the country, Why no one cares we have support groups doctors that are friendly knowledgeable and caring towards trans issues. But we have roughly the same climate as Montreal.

My second recommendation would be Tucson with the kind of support available there not to mention SAGA being one of the coolest groups I have ever dealt with you can't go wrong oh yeah and my aunt is a psychiatrist there and she is fully trans friendly.

I do have a thing for the desert too :)

Post Merge: June 08, 2010, 08:25:49 PM

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 08, 2010, 05:53:42 PM
You seem a bit squeamish for most of the UK - you have to be prepared to muck in with the great majority of people if you in a city and as for the countryside - eesh - it's countryside. Also, everyone would laugh at your accent, but everyone laughs at everyone's accent - it's a thing.

If you were coming Brighton and North London are very open places... I hear great things about Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool too but they are up norf do I don't have much to do with them. As for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - I wouldn't even bother

As for money, I'm guessing your talking dollars - that means £20-25k, a very liveable wage, somewhere around the area of a middle manager/ teacher (and about 15k more than me, and I survive most of the time).

I've always wanted to visit the UK and Europe.  I would have expected the cost of living to be quite higher there
  •  

Michelle.

Some real estate markets in the US. Florida, Cali, Nevada as examples.  good deals available.

Those condos in South Florida going for 350K four yrs ago can be picked up around 100K now adays.

Basically when you reach Palm Beach County the areas in general are GLBT friendly. As for specific areas... we too have our "little Detroit pockets."

Best of luck to you.

ps the beaches will stay nice if the "Loop Current" dosent get ahold of  that oil mess.
  •  

Evan

Quote from: tekla on June 08, 2010, 07:38:32 PM
Key West, or San Diego have near perfect weather year round.

I wouldn't recommend Key West, or the West Coast of Florida either, unless you like hurricanes.. and possible mandatory evacuations because of them in the Key's.

Quote from: michellesofl on June 09, 2010, 03:00:41 AM
Some real estate markets in the US. Florida, Cali, Nevada as examples.  good deals available.

Those condos in South Florida going for 350K four yrs ago can be picked up around 100K now adays.

Basically when you reach Palm Beach County the areas in general are GLBT friendly. As for specific areas... we too have our "little Detroit pockets."

so true, there are many condos regularly even going as low as 20,000.. and if you qualify for 55 and over housing, the deals are even better.
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: Evan on June 09, 2010, 08:40:17 AM

so true, there are many condos regularly even going as low as 20,000.. and if you qualify for 55 and over housing, the deals are even better.

20K?  What type of condition are they in?  How about the neighborhood?
  •  

Cindy Stephens

I have lived on the west coast of Florida (Tampa) for the last 30 years, and haven't had ONE hurricane yet!  I do seem to remember ANDREW destroying a large part of Miami.  Tampa, St. Pete and especially Sarasota,  can be very gay/trans friendly.  Additionally, it isn't as Spanish oriented as Miami. If that would be a culture shock to you, then it should be a consideration.  Sarasota in particular is very arts oriented and dotes on well to-do retirees. Your income would be fine, but don't expect a hacienda on the beach.  Excellent museums, Botanical Gardens, Ballet, and Masterworks in Music program.  Itshak Pearlman teaches advanced violin during the winter when he stays at his condo there and gives recitals.  Storms tend to stay offshore as they head off to clobber the panhandle and New Orleans. 
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: Cindy Stephens on June 09, 2010, 11:57:48 AM
I have lived on the west coast of Florida (Tampa) for the last 30 years, and haven't had ONE hurricane yet!  I do seem to remember ANDREW destroying a large part of Miami.  Tampa, St. Pete and especially Sarasota,  can be very gay/trans friendly.  Additionally, it isn't as Spanish oriented as Miami. If that would be a culture shock to you, then it should be a consideration.  Sarasota in particular is very arts oriented and dotes on well to-do retirees. Your income would be fine, but don't expect a hacienda on the beach.  Excellent museums, Botanical Gardens, Ballet, and Masterworks in Music program.  Itshak Pearlman teaches advanced violin during the winter when he stays at his condo there and gives recitals.  Storms tend to stay offshore as they head off to clobber the panhandle and New Orleans.

Florida is looking better and better.  I've made up my mind to visit sometime after my surgery

Thanks!
  •  

Evan

Quote from: Kristyn on June 09, 2010, 08:49:52 AM
20K?  What type of condition are they in?  How about the neighborhood?

those prices are what I've heard that some condo foreclosures are going for in ft lauderdale (Sunrise, Tamarac, Plantation).. what developments they are in I wouldn't know, but if you go through the court house (downtown Ft Lauderdale I believe is $100 for complete listing, but don't quote me on that) you can get a foreclosure listing. I do know for sure that some of the Sunrise Lakes Phases are going for that cheap, but they are 55 and older condos.

When I said West Coast I was referring to Port Charlotte/ Cape Coral area.. you're right Tampa is placed well to avoid hurricanes, but then again so is Broward County.. except for the two hurricanes in '05 we hadn't had a good direct hit since I think the 60's. Miami on the other hand... after seeing what Andrew did I definitely will never live there, visit sure, never live.. you are right about the Spanish population, though I have seen a growing Mexican population in Tampa/Clearwater.. Miami is very Cuban, veerrry Cuban, it's like it's own little country there.. if you're not okay with people assuming you speak spanish.. or constantly hearing spanish, Miami is not for you.. Ft Lauderdale, West Palm isn't as bad, but there are pockets (boca).
  •  

tekla

Hurricanes are easy, at least you have a warning, try having the earth move under your feet (when you're not having sex.)  And no warning with earthquakes.  I'll take that chance over a blizzard any day.
  •  

Kristyn

St Pete, Sarasota and Tampa.  Of the three, which would be the best place a budding musician ply her trade?  I sing and play old soul and R&B and dabble in jazz instrumentals
  •  

tekla

I sing and play old soul and R&B and dabble in jazz instrumentals

So, what do you do for money?  It's not like that stuff pays much these days.  Try a resort town.
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: tekla on June 09, 2010, 10:57:42 PM
I sing and play old soul and R&B and dabble in jazz instrumentals

So, what do you do for money?  It's not like that stuff pays much these days.  Try a resort town.

Actually, I'm a designer and production artist for print and web by trade.  The music thing is not for money, but strictly for love.  It's really the only thing I feel a connection with.  When I posed the question, I was more or less wondering about places with open stages, street performances, etc.

A resort town?  You mean like Margaritaville?   ;)
  •  

tekla

I was not aware that Jimmy Buffet booked anyone at any of his place but himself.
  •  

Deanna_Renee

Quote from: Kristyn on June 09, 2010, 11:09:11 PM
Actually, I'm a designer and production artist for print and web by trade.  The music thing is not for money, but strictly for love.  It's really the only thing I feel a connection with.  When I posed the question, I was more or less wondering about places with open stages, street performances, etc.

A resort town?  You mean like Margaritaville?   ;)

If you are looking to stay in the design field, then Miami or Atlanta are your two best bets in the SE, and to a lesser degree Ft. Lauderdale (I'm a designer myself). Music should also be a fairly open market in either city as well. Although there are a lot of both in both cities.
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: Deanna_Renee on June 10, 2010, 06:41:06 AM
If you are looking to stay in the design field, then Miami or Atlanta are your two best bets in the SE, and to a lesser degree Ft. Lauderdale (I'm a designer myself). Music should also be a fairly open market in either city as well. Although there are a lot of both in both cities.

Thanks Deanne.  How about St Pete's?
  •  

Deanna_Renee

I have only been to St. Pete's once, and that was more than a decade ago. Gorgeous beaches, but I know little else. As far as a design community - there is not much at all. Did I mention the beaches are quite nice?

Deanna
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: Deanna_Renee on June 10, 2010, 07:41:28 AM
I have only been to St. Pete's once, and that was more than a decade ago. Gorgeous beaches, but I know little else. As far as a design community - there is not much at all. Did I mention the beaches are quite nice?

Deanna

:(  The beaches do look amazing, though.  I was looking at the various south Florida tourist sites last night and they really peaked my interest.  I also noticed that there are a lot of magazine publishers in that area--I have magazine experience
  •  

DeniseK

Sydney is very trans-friendly.
  •