Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Heart Palpitations

Started by zombiesarepeaceful, June 10, 2010, 05:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiesarepeaceful

I have had Tachycardia all my life. I've had heart palpitations since I was about 13. I finally had them checked thorougly by a cardiologist when I was 15 and was told everything was fine.

The meds I'm on are synthroid for hypothyroid, adderall xr for adhd, and of course, T. A few weeks into being on T, I had increased heart palpitations and it would feel like it would stop, then start again, or beat irregularly. I've had EKGs done and they were pronounced fine, but I didn't have any palpitations while they did it. Along with the heart palpitations I had symptoms of hyperthyroidism. So to experiement, I stopped taking my thyroid med. I haven't taken it for 3 days. The palpitations stopped, then came back today. I'm not sure what is causing this. Could be stress or anxiety, or simply that I have a high natural heart rate. I'm hoping it's not related to starting T....maybe starting T changed my thyroid, causing it to go hyper? I'm not sure. If it's due to the T, that's too bad. Cause I'm taking it no matter what. I'm afraid to mention this to my doc cause I'm afraid he'll decide it's complications from T and discontinue me. So, advice, insight?
  •  

Sarah Louise

You shouldn't go off the thyroid meds without checking with the doctor, they might need to increase or decrease any of your meds, but remember your life is important.

Talk with your doctor.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

spacial

No, you should never stop that type of medication.

As for the palpatations, given that you've been checked by several Drs. then you can assume it's anxiety.

I can speak with quite a bit of sympathy as this has affected me for much of my life. I can't say I'm particularly stressed when they come on and when I am stressed, they don't.

but they do come and often make me feel very uneasy.

Some things you can do are, exercise, eat a decent diet and lots of fresh water. Most important, don't smoke or take intoxicants of any kind.

This won't eliminate the palpatations. It will help you to accept them as anxiety rather than health. As a bonus, you will be a lot healthier.

But, never medicate yourself. Don't buy one of those really silly machines that supposedly test blood pressure. And take medication give to you by your dr.
  •  

Sarah Louise

Just so you know, I take thyroid meds also, as well as diabetes, blood pressure, anti seisure meds (for diabetic neuropathy) as well as other things.

Stopping any of those without a doctors help is very dangerous.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

zombiesarepeaceful

Thanks. I still haven't taken the thyroid med. I did one day and immediately got increased symptoms. Then again, that could all be in my head. They've been happening like crazy today, probably cause I'm dead tired. They seem to happen alot when I'm tired and trying to stay awake. I'm also pretty stressed and anxious today. Considering everything I've had tested, multiple EKGS at multiple points in time....I'm pretty sure I'm ok. It helps to hear that I'm not alone in this.

Like I said, my only fear is that I would possibly be taken off my T because of this. And that's something I won't do. Are there any online advice sites that have doctors....who are ask at your own risk?

If I really want to wait and find out...I figure I'll just start taking the thyroid med again and when I get my 2 month on T bloodwork done I'll mention that I think it's increased my metabolism and want to have my thyroid checked again. Then i'll know for sure. Plus when they check T levels they check all the heart related stuff too, cholesterol, etc...blah. That's on July 19th. Wish me luck guys. I have anxiety issues so this could very well be the culprit. I've let my anxiety get the best of me lately.
  •