News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Harry Potter

Started by Kisa, November 18, 2006, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pica Pica

i thought the ending a bit flat...

i used to work in a british run toyshop, in a chain based on the whims of a born-again Christian. it doesn't stock potter products or halloween costumes. however toy orks and wizards from lord of the rings is fine, he likes lotr.
  •  

Sarah Louise

My spouse hates Harry Potter, she thinks his character (actually all the characters) is pure evil.  I have seen the movies on television and really enjoyed the first couple, but they are getting a little darker as the series progresses.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Sarah Louise on July 26, 2007, 08:33:33 AM
I have seen the movies on television and really enjoyed the first couple, but they are getting a little darker as the series progresses.
Yes they are.  J.K. Rowling has explained that she did this on purpose as the story developed.  I highly recommend the books over the movies.  The movies leave out so much detail, tha you actually only get about half of the story.  I personally think they leave out some very important parts in the movie, but that's just me.  I'm sure the parts they left out won't end up playing a role in the movie version, but I thought they added a lot of depth to the story.  I highly recommend *reading* the entire series (even if you saw the movie). to anybody who has not read it yet.

Posted on: July 26, 2007, 06:42:28 AM
Quote from: Pica Pica on July 26, 2007, 07:10:23 AM
i thought the ending a bit flat...
It's not bad for an ending.  For large tales filled with so much, it bcomes extremely difficult to write a good ending that will leave readers feeling content.  I think she did a marvelous job given the challenge of it.
  •  

saraswatidevi

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the hostility that the christian fundamentalists have towards this series because it contains witchcraft. I hear that around here; that witchcraft is a religion and the books promote it. The only problem with that view is that there is no such religion mentioned in any way in the books. In fact the only mention of religion of any kind is Christmas.

I don't have a problem with people arguing abut the content of a book but I do have a problem with them arguing over the content that isn't even there. For example, when people argue about Huckleberry Finn. Some people say "They use the 'N' word too much and I don't want my children exposed to it." Other people can say "It is art and that is how people talked in those days." I come down on the art side of this question but the argument is about what is actually in the book. The Harry Potter hysteria isn't even about what is actually there.

I also noticed that these same people who want Harry Potter off the school shelves didn't say a word about Grimm's Fairy Tales, LOTR, etc. I'm thinking it is the popularity of the books and fear rather than the actual content.
  •