Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How to stop being afraid of oneself?

Started by Xren, July 10, 2010, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xren

Are there any psychology resources on how to stop being terrified of oneself?  I've found many resources on how to conquer self-hatred, but this isn't necessarily self-hatred.  Many of the strategies for improving self-esteem don't work because they don't focus on getting over constant internal fear--for example, I'm aware of my strengths and that I'm a worthwhile person and all of that, but my strengths and value as a human being frighten me.

I would prefer to deal with this on my own, though I have a therapist, and I'm not willing to try anything remotely behaviorist because behaviorism has been used to my detriment--it's what caused this problem to begin with.
I've had no caffeine but I'm wired
The computer goes whizz-click and beep
It's twelve and I'm not even tired...
So WHY in the [SQUEELP] should I sleep?
  •  

spacial

I can understand your pain.

can you say a little more about it?
  •  

Kay

Hi Xren,
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by:
Quote from: Xren on July 10, 2010, 03:15:20 PM
my strengths and value as a human being frighten me.
If you can elaborate more on what that means (what in particular frightens you?), we might be able to help.
Quote from: Xren on July 10, 2010, 03:15:20 PM
behaviorism has been used to my detriment--it's what caused this problem to begin with.
If you know what caused the problem, that's the best place to start.  If you can construct the path that brought you to this point, then you can see how to deconstruct the current situation, and repair the damage that was done.  It can take time...but if you have a clear vision of of the details, it's a lot easier to accomplish.
  •