Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Document changes are getting easier in many states and US

Started by pamshaw, July 23, 2010, 12:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pamshaw

As everyone knows enhanced security measures make it necessary that our ID accurately reflects our gender status. The recent change to passport requirements which do not require SRS for gender marker change is very good news. Unfortunately some states are still in the dark ages. Here is my plan including progress so far:
Therapist letter for HRT- done
Full Time- done
Court ordered name - change done
DL gender marker changed - done my state allows this with Dr/thearpist letter
  Orci with Dr. Bowers- very soon; her letter will state I have had irreversible gentital surgery and I am now female.
Social Security in Colorado will change my gender marker based on this letter
My birth state, PA, will change my birth certificate based on this letter and seal old BC
Apply for F passport with surgeons letter and new BC-I will be legally a woman - Yeh!

Although I will have SRS, everything legal will be finished as I complete transition. This proccdure will help those who cannot aford SRS.

Pam

•  

Arch

Just a heads up...I've been told that people can have a hard time getting documents changed if their SSA letter (and possibly the BC letter and passport letter) don't say that their transition is actually completed. I get the impression that it sometimes depends on the clerk you get and the area of the country you're in. But I'm wondering how necessary that word "complete" really is, in actual practice.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

pamshaw

DR Bowers office tells me the local SS office has always changed gender with her letter. I would suspect some offices is red neck states would be a problem. I read the exact wording from Dr Bowers letter to the vital records lady in PA and she said it would be fine. The passport people have officially changed their policy and do not require full SRS. If the feds officially changed the pasport rules SS is likely to follow. Unfortunately some states will never change you BC. Fortunately PA will.

Pam
  •  

Arch

Quote from: pamshaw on July 23, 2010, 01:44:03 PMDR Bowers office tells me the local SS office has always changed gender with her letter. I would suspect some offices is red neck states would be a problem. I read the exact wording from Dr Bowers letter to the vital records lady in PA and she said it would be fine.

Good--then I guess it's good to do the SSA stuff right there after Dr. Bowers gets done! I'm sure the office in her area is pretty cool.

Quote from: pamshaw on July 23, 2010, 01:44:03 PMThe passport people have officially changed their policy and do not require full SRS.

Well, yes, but if you are in the process of completing the transition, then they will only give you a short-term passport.

•  

pamshaw

I just talked to the SS office in Trinadad. Dr Bowers 's letter works just fine and they do it all the time. I asked her specifically if the letter had to say completed and she said absolutely not. I told her things were being removed and she said that would suffice since it is irreversible. They know Dr Bowers well and this is a routine transaction for them. She actually said congratulations and I am looking forward to meeting you. By the Way Dr Bowers only requires a letter from your therapist and that you are on HRT and living full time for an orci. The SS lady said to make sure you bring an original name change court order. Like I said things are getting better; I am very excited!

Pam
  •  

Arch

•  

tiger

I currently live in one of those red neck states. Luckily, I as born in PA and I'm going to be able to change my BC, passport and SS. I'm hoping that the sate of TN will have to change my DL to match my passport and SS. We will se how that goes.
  •  

pamshaw

JenntB,

I think there is hope. It seems this federal change is flowing down to the states. A girlfriend of mine just got her marker changed in Nevada which previously would not change it without SRS. A new Nevada DMV policy came out recently which is similar to the feds. Nevada DMV actually has a from for changing the marker which only requires you to be living as a woman and be clinically treated my an MD. My friend is on HRT and living as a female and has not had an orci. Wiki has a copy.
Good luck. Most people don't realize in this day and age it is important to have all you documents match.
  •