Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

She's Not There

Started by stephanie, August 11, 2005, 07:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie

For a homework assignment, my therapist suggested I read this book, "She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders" by Jennifer Finney Boylan.  So far I have only read the first part, but I gotta say - this is already by far one of the best books I have ever read.  A biographical account of Jennifer's life, both before and after her GRS, she simultaneously shows humor, sadness, heartache and redemption in every chapter, all backed by a strong talent for the written word.  A definite must-read.
  •  

stephanie

Just wanted to follow up, I finished reading this book today, and can confirm that it just keeps getting better.  I turned the last page, and was rather disappointed that there weren't 1,000 more pages somewhere hidden back there.
  •  

beth

thanks so much Stephanie,

i have picked it up several times in the book store only to eventually try something else. i will get it now.

beth
  •  

Lessa

Quote from: stephanie on August 11, 2005, 07:46:27 PM
For a homework assignment, my therapist suggested I read this book, "She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders" by Jennifer Finney Boylan.  So far I have only read the first part, but I gotta say - this is already by far one of the best books I have ever read.  A biographical account of Jennifer's life, both before and after her GRS, she simultaneously shows humor, sadness, heartache and redemption in every chapter, all backed by a strong talent for the written word.  A definite must-read.

It is a really good book! I checked it out from my local library for a research paper I was doing on transgender issues for my english class for ovious(sp?) reasons. I laughed, I cried, I laughed and cried(Lol), it was just a enjoyable experience.
  •  

deneece

just ordered it today...
  •  

molly

Hi Stephanie:

I finished reading She's Not There about three weeks ago and I really enjoyed it.  I felt the same way, didn't want it to end.

I have been to many of the places she mentioned in the book because my wife is from there, she grew up in Bangor.

I have been surprised by how many books there are out there written by our sisters and brothers.  I have quite a collection going and have told my wife that when she is ready there is mini library for her to read through that may help with the understanding part.

Molly
  •  

Kate

I agree, it's a wonderfully well-written book. It's one of those rare books that had me both laughing and crying at the same time. And often.

I love myth and metaphor, and this book is just brimming over with double-meanings - many of which I missed the first time through. It's kinda like The Matrix: you almost get more out of it during the *second* time through, now that you're actively watching for the symbolism. There's a mythical story (hero's journey) contained within the factual recounting which I think speaks to everyone, TS or not.
  •  

Alexis

I thought it was an amazing book.  I enjoyed reading from her perspective and found so many of her feelings and thoughts to be my own.  The parts where she tried to convince herself that love will cure her hit real close to home.

I only hope to be as strong as her when I start to go fulltime.

It's funny though my wife read it first, when she found it at the library then suggested I read it too. 

-Alexis
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Amazing!  I just finished reading it this morning while I was sitting down at the hospital in my mom's room, get back home and someone has resurrected this thread.  This was one of the best books I've ever read and I'm not just talking books on gender issues but overall.  While we know it's a true story, it reads like a novel (big stretch for Jenny  ;) ) and keeps your interest throughout.  I agree with whoever said they were disappointed there weren't a thousand more pages.

If you would like to hear her speech to Southern Comfort Conference last year, you can listen to it here or download the contents as text to read later.

Beverly
  •  

saraswatidevi

I just finished this book. It was terrific. I also wish there had been another 1,000 pages. She seemed to live a charmed life in that her immediate family, parents, friends and work colleagues accepted her situation with uncommon grace. According to what I read here many transsexuals do not have this good fortune.
  •  

Jeannette

I also read the book and found it well written and captivating. I saw it as an explanation on how peeps can overcome emormous odds providing there are supporting people, both family and friends. My heart goes out to Jennifer and her immediate family. May everyone have a supportive family as hers in whatever endeavor peeps encounter. :)
  •  

Manyfaces

I agree, this was the first books I read about the trans experience, a few years back, and it is still at the top of the list.  It is beautifully written, sad and funny and true and deeply honest, insightful, and infinitely hopeful.  Highly recommend.
  •